WHR-HP-54 G dont want to run with my AMP using DD WRT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
latinlover555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:01    Post subject: WHR-HP-54 G dont want to run with my AMP using DD WRT? Reply with quote
Hi guys I have this really strange problem. I have my own wireless network with a 15 DB outdoor antenna and a 2 WATTS AMP.

Ok here its the problem. I had flashed my WHR-HP-54G router with the DD WRT and for some reason my wireless people the were able to connect to my network but they couldn’t go on the internet. So I freaked out and I reverted back to Factory Flash and the same problem persisted. So after a while of trouble shooting I said to my self …… maybe my AMP died.,,,, So I unplugged the AMP and went straigt from router to outdoor antenna without AMP and most of my wireless people were able to connect to my network and they were able to go on the internet no problem. OK so that part was done.
But I still wondered why when I flashed my router back to factory flash the problem of my wireless people not able to connect to internet stood there…So since itought that AMP was dead I decided to flash my router back to DD WRT to enjoy the new great features and after I went back to DD WRT my wireless people they were still able to connect to my network and they were also able to go on the internet.. But I tried to set my AMP again and the same problem stood there where my wireless people the were able to connect to my network but they couldn’t go on the internet. ..Ok I went and ordered a another brand new WHR-HP-54G router just to seee if the problem was the AMP or if the problem started since I first flashed my old router with the DD WRT.

Ok here it is today I got my brand new virgin none flash router I hooked it up with AMP and everything went back to normal like it used to be before I flashed the DD WRT. Ok I love the new features that the DD WRT added to my router but does anyone here have the same problem? Or how cant I manage to set up DD WRT to be able to use my AMP on my wireless network? Are there any specific settings on the control panel of DD WRT that I need to adjust in order to use my AMP when using DD WRT? I tried a few settings on my own to see if I make it to work with my AMP but I had no luck…So Please anyone l let me know. I will really appreciate any feedback… thank you

By the way when i first flash my router with DD WRT i used the dd-wrt.v23 SP2 and i also had tryed i using dd-wrt.v24 beta and the same poroblem stood there......
Sponsor
im_electronic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
look at the factory specs for your 2w ampo, the HP unit may be overpowering it. try a regular whr NON-HP version with your amp.
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not sure why you would need to buy a non HP router. Try turning down the transmit milliwatts instead. Should have the same effect without spending more money.
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would guess it has something to do with the internal amp of the HP and noise on the RX side which your additional amp just blows up. One thing you could try is turning off the internal amp with boardflags.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using HP with additional AMP is like using a non-HP unit with 2 amps one after another. Bad idea.
Lowering down the miliwatts is a bad idea too, since the Tx amplifier on the HP is always on, and it cannot be disabled. Lowering down the miliwatts will lower the input to the internal amplifier, but you will still have amplified output.

Either don't use additional AMP, or change the HP with something else.
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of the factory, the Buffalo, even with its amp turned on is not supposed to put out more than 70 or 80 milliwatts. If that is too much input to the external amplifier, the answer would be to look for an unamplified router with good receive sensitivity. Would the WHR-G54S equal the HP in receive sensitivity? I found it difficult to find receive senstivity specs for many routers. I know there are some Senao units with receive sensitivities that can equal that of a good notebook card (e.g. -94 or -95 db at 1 mbps), but I do not believe they support DD-WRT. I am curious myself what router that is supported by DD-WRT has the best receive sensitivity when used by itself without any kind of amplifier.
latinlover555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 14:50    Post subject: WHR-HP-54 G dont want to run with my AMP using DD WRT? Reply with quote
hey guys i really appreciete your replays. but this is a wierd problem. like i said the WHR-HP-54 G thats having problem with my external AMP it always ran fine with external AMP before i ever iflashed it with DD WRT. after it got flash it never was able to run with my external AMP weather installed factory flash or DD WRT,,,,, dont know why. thats why i decided to order another brand new WHR-HP-54 G to confirm weather was a bad router or bad AMP and my brand new WHR-HP-54 G works excelent with my external AMP just like the older router did before got flashed. i tryed lowering power down on the router using DD WRT or made changes and still have no luck. the final question is.... if a WHR-HP-54 G comes already high powered from factory why does a virgen router NONE FLASHED runs good no problems with my AMP and why my older router that has DD WRT wont run on with AMP? or i should say it trys to but it has that conectivity problem... think about it guys. like i said i want to be able to run DDWRT but this issue of not being able to use my external its not letting me.... now if i unplug the AMP and run router straight to the external antenna my wireles people can connect to my network but not as strong as they used to when i had my external AMP wich its normal. i just dnt get over why even if i reinstall the factoryflash to the old router the same problem still there and that router used work with AMp. now once again my brand new router its virgen and it run fine with external AMP. you guys be the judge. thanks once again.
im_electronic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
try changing wireless channels. i'm serious. had a similar problem between firmwares and channel changing helped.
scriv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi latinlover555
I can't really make a constructive input on this as I haven't played with the HP version yet only the whr-g54s. I've been impressed with the whr-g54s when compared with the WRT54G Linksys series. There seems to be a continuous stream of posts regarding the amplifier/power setting issues of the HP and no really informed guidance on what the effect of flashing dd-wrt is on the amp in the unit.
If you read the Buffalo product manuals they give identical range and power specs for the whr-g54s and the whr-hp-g54 which given the difference in "out of the box" performance just doesn't make sense.
I must admit I'm nervous of using the HP in a commercial environment, I need dd-wrt for chillispot, qos etc, until I've seen some definitive information about the affect of dd-wrt on the units amplifier.
There's been a number of appeals for input from Brainslayer already on this issue but I think a lot of users would really appreciate one?
I suspect that the problem you describe with the wireless users connecting but not accessing the internet is a noise issue but as you say why should it still be there after reflashing the factory firmware? Did you notice a high packet loss with the dd-wrt router? One test that would be of interest is the relative performance of the virgin HP and the dd-wrt HP when connected direct to the antenna without your amp? ie does the dd-wrt HP have better signal performance and at what power settings?
Sorry I can only ask questions not really help / scriv
drinkingbird
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great I typed a nice long response and the board told me "error, maybe your post will appear, maybe not" or something like that. Great. And it tells you to use the back button but says page has expired and refresh gives a blank post. Awesome

Anyway, a couple thoughts (SWAG's actually):

1. DD-WRT is more power hungry due to more features (guess, I have no clue). Your external amp is driving the internal radio at its max as well, thus sucking up a lot of power. Perhaps voltage is low on the WAN port?

2. Signal is in fact degraded on your wireless link, DD-WRT maybe has more sensitive settings for RWIN or timeouts, dropped packets, etc on the WAN/internet side than on the LAN (common). Maybe more sensitive than stock firmware.

I'd check latency, packet loss, noise, etc with stock and WRT, with and without the amp, etc. There isn't any software reason why DD-WRT wouldn't work with your amp, it doesn't know the difference.

I also agree that amping an amp is not a good idea. I believe the HP is a standard ~20mw radio with a booster on it inline to the antenna jack. So not the same as having a single higher powered internal amp. Every time you amp, you degrade quality. That 2W amp is also demanding a lot from the little internal radio too.

If your clients don't have 2W amps, whats the point anyway?
latinlover555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
scriv wrote:
Hi latinlover555
I can't really make a constructive input on this as I haven't played with the HP version yet only the whr-g54s. I've been impressed with the whr-g54s when compared with the WRT54G Linksys series. There seems to be a continuous stream of posts regarding the amplifier/power setting issues of the HP and no really informed guidance on what the effect of flashing dd-wrt is on the amp in the unit.
If you read the Buffalo product manuals they give identical range and power specs for the whr-g54s and the whr-hp-g54 which given the difference in "out of the box" performance just doesn't make sense.
I must admit I'm nervous of using the HP in a commercial environment, I need dd-wrt for chillispot, qos etc, until I've seen some definitive information about the affect of dd-wrt on the units amplifier.
There's been a number of appeals for input from Brainslayer already on this issue but I think a lot of users would really appreciate one?
I suspect that the problem you describe with the wireless users connecting but not accessing the internet is a noise issue but as you say why should it still be there after reflashing the factory firmware? Did you notice a high packet loss with the dd-wrt router? One test that would be of interest is the relative performance of the virgin HP and the dd-wrt HP when connected direct to the antenna without your amp? ie does the dd-wrt HP have better signal performance and at what power settings?
Sorry I can only ask questions not really help / scriv

well running both of the routers barefooted without AMP stricktly straight to the outdoor antenna the performance its about the same in distance wise... but the virgen router with AMP obiesly has more singal on their recieving side. by the way how do u check packet loss and all that stuff? and what influense doe s the noise has in wireless networking? whats a better number , a lower number or higher number in the noise settings ?
gavrik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it is actually possible to turn off the amp on the WHR-HP-G54.

If one examines the RF section of the board you can see that there is no signal path around the amp. So if the amp was turned off there would be no way for transmit power to reach the antenna (except by the small amount of leakage through the amp when it is off). Also if one examines the control input of the amp (with an oscilloscope) one can see that border flags have no effect on this input (this signal keep turning on the amp whenever the unit wants to transmit). That the amp continues to work is also verified by measuring the output power at the SMA connector.

I did these measurement using v23 sp2. I would be interested in any comments about this. What am I failing to understand here?

Last edited by gavrik on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:41; edited 2 times in total
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a couple of comments and questions about this discussion

1) To clarify the questions about the WHR-HP-G54 built-in amplifier and DD-WRT, someone will need to look at the DD-WRT source code and share their analysis.

2) To avoid connecting an amp to an amp, would the WHR-HP-G54S be the best alternative for someone using an external amp? Would it have the same receive sensitivity as the WHR-HP-G54, but just without the built in transmit amp, thereby cutting down on extra noise from amping an amp?

3) I find it alarming that the WHR-HP-G54 would be altered in a non-restorable way by flashing to DD-WRT and then back to the factory firmware. Why would this make the router "noisier" in signal? Actually, I had done this firmware shuffle to my WHR-HP-G54 and even though I am not using an external amplifier, I seem to have a harder time geting fast speeds on file transfers between computers in my home the second time on factory firmware. I re-setup the router the same way on the factory firmware the second time as the first time I was on factory firmware.

So I am curious to hear how latinlover555's situation is resolved.
Kingdomcome
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick question of curiosity. For you guys that have reverted back to factory firmware; are you still using the revert firmware provided here, or did you update with official Buffalo firmware after the revert?

P.S. Drinkingbird - I used to have that problem often. At first I would copy what I typed before hitting the submit button. Since I have found an easier way; if you hit the preview button, you get a chance to look the post over and it also "resets" the posting "timer" on the boards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kingdomcome wrote:
Just a quick question of curiosity. For you guys that have reverted back to factory firmware; are you still using the revert firmware provided here, or did you update with official Buffalo firmware after the revert?

P.S. Drinkingbird - I used to have that problem often. At first I would copy what I typed before hitting the submit button. Since I have found an easier way; if you hit the preview button, you get a chance to look the post over and it also "resets" the posting "timer" on the boards

well there is no way to revert back to official FACTORY firmware when using DD WRT. thats why you have to use the one they have here in the website so that you can revert back to factory ffirmware using the upgrade firmware on the DD WRT.. now one thing that i havent tryed is TFTP the official firmware. i dont know if it can be TFTP or not. but am going to l try it just for hahas. now another thing if anyone out there has the correct answer. does the WHR-G54S has the same reception or better reception than the WHR-HP-54G? cuz if thats the case like someone else mention earlier illl problably buy WHR-G54S since it doesnt have AMP built in and maybe that way i can use my 2 WATTS AMP.

Last edited by latinlover555 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:32; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: