wrt54G v6 wan drop on load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:44    Post subject: wrt54G v6 wan drop on load Reply with quote
Hello,

I've tried every revision of firmware from 23 and newer for micro that I can find, and I'm always having the same problem

After approximately 3-4 hours of continuous WAN usage the speed is throttled back to 1Mb, and I have to reboot the router to get it to return to normal.

See below for further problem description as I have issues with longish posts.

Thanks.

Last edited by codetrap on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:25; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router:
WRTG54G v6.0 running "micro generic" releases of DD-WRT. Problem is repeatable on all releases Post v23.
Pretty much default configuation settings
Mode: AP Mixed
Chan: 10
Sensitivity: 0
Security Mode: WPA2 Personal Mixed (AES)
Key Renewal: 3600
MAC Filter: Enabled
Authetication: Auto
Basic Rate: Default
Trans Rate: Auto
CTS: Disable
Burst: Disable
Max Clients: 5
AFterburner: Disable
All other

Last edited by codetrap on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:31; edited 2 times in total
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Server PC
Using wired 100/Full Realtec onboard to Linksys. WinXP

Client PC1
Using ASUS 802b/g WLAN. WinXP SNR approx 50

Client PC2
Dell D620 using Broadcom WLAN. WinXP SNR approx 44

Situation: Beyond TV server running video hardware encoder streaming video stream to Client PC 1. Typically a 2Mb stream carrying radio captured from encoder card. Sometimes carrying video. Client PC 1 is using Beyond TV Link to display said video stream. Client PC2 is connected to work network through wireless link via IPSEC tunnel.

Problem: After running a continuous stream across from Server PC to Client PC1, the "speed" reported by both client PC's is throttled back to 1Mb. Wireless router reports speed as 54Mb. SNR remains stable and good. The timeframe for this problem to occur is very repeatable, and occurs on average approximately 4.5 hours after the stream is initiated and VPN tunnel is initiated.

Steps I've taken.
- tried all releases of micro post v23. Setting to "reset" on each firmware up/downgrade
- replaced Wireless NIC in PC1
- removed encryption.
- removed MAC filter
- toggled advanced settings, frame burst, xmit power, Preamble.. etc..
- tested homemade antennas to boost gain/reception
- reinstalled drivers on WLAN cards
- changed Realtec to 10/Full, Auto/Auto. Confirmed cabling just to be sure

Consistent Resolution: Reboot Router via power cycle.

Last edited by codetrap on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24; edited 1 time in total
cordel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:37    Post subject: Re: wrt54G v6 wan drop on load Reply with quote
codetrap wrote:

I would think this is a memory leak perhaps? I would love to continue using dd-wrt and subscribing, but I'm not going to toss cash into something that doesn't work.

Thanks.

codetrap wrote:
Bump...
More likely since both are considered rude you will be ignored.
How to properly ask questions might be helpfull ;)

Quote:
Too many people post questions saying "somethings wrong, how do I fix it?" with NO background information. This is worse than useless, it's annoying.
Unfortunatly, you fall under this catagory as well, no mention of what or how you have the device configured.

Getting a clue yet???

Moderators, Feel free to delete my post, My feeling will not hert one bit. On a forum I help moderate we would just remove the whole post Wink since I'm in no way affiliated with this site, I thought I'd point out what should be obvious.
Cheers
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
. On a forum I help moderate we would just remove the whole post Wink since I'm in no way affiliated with this site, I thought I'd point out what should be obvious.
Cheers

See updated posts above. I'm glad you don't moderate this forum since you're method of helping is rather well, grating. Though your point may be good, your way of making it is really quite lacking in interpersonal skills.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah thats okay and makes two of us that are glad I don't moderate here Laughing
Quote:
Though your point may be good, your way of making it is really quite lacking in interpersonal skills.
I guess that could go both ways now couldn't it??? :lol:

Just my point of view since I also spend alot of my time developing a software project on a forum just like this one. If the questions are asked over and over, we get just as lazy at answering as the people asking, then when people do try to search the forum they are overwelmed by all the laziness and make it harder to find the answer. Most of us are technical yes, good at writing documentation, not really (at least not in a notation that everyone can understand).

Okay, I may not have an answer but this does generate a now educated question Wink
This happens consistantly when your streaming data and puting a heavy load. You make mention of
Quote:
tested homemade antennas to boost gain/reception
and that this issue didn't arrise with the linsys firmware (which don't allow change Tx power). This would not be in combination of a higher Tx level and possible bad SWR antenna as well would it? Could possibly be a thermal issue??
Id try using factory antennas and default power level for starters and load it up and see what happens. If all goes good then up the power. If still good put the home brew antennas in ( leave these for last as at 2.4GHz making a properly tuned antenna is quite the job and only takes um to get in and out of band).
Cheers
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, after a good sleep it doesn't seem quite so harsh now. Now, I'm pre-coffee answer this, so I'll re-read it later and make sure it makes sense.

I should have been slightly clearer though, the homebrewed stuff was the paper and tinfoil kind that you just use to focus and shape the signal. I was following this line of reasoning for awhile, but it didn't make any difference to the issue at all. Same results with better SNR than with worse. I've also been running WRT-DD at the 28mW original power. No need to ramp it up as it doesn't seem to affect my signal quality.. just increases errors.

I revert back to the original linksys firmware, and it didn't have the same timeframe issue, but I did experience a problem similar to it after around 8 hours. I doubt it's a thermal issue, as an short reboot solves it, and I think a thermal issue would persist past a reboot. Also, the environment where the router is located is my as of yet unfinished basement. Ambient air temp is around 13C.

The good thing with WRT-DD, is at least it's predictable.. when I log in at 8, I just have to reboot at 11:30 to avoid losing my connectivity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so eliminate thermal...
Have you tried telneting or sshing in after this problem and checking the log /var/log/messages (I'm not sure how dd-wrt reports it's errors but most all linux messages start here) to see what if any errors by the system have been reported?

Also try looking at your dmesg, expect to see everything from bootup, any recent errors will be appended at the end (or may not).

I'm not really sure of dd-wrts error reporting facilities or how to get more detailed information from them so maybe one of the developers could either pipe in here as to how to get usefull information out of the device to help track this down or put the info up on the wiki (if it's not already there) and drop a link here. I looked in both the FAQ and Support and didn't find any reference on how to pull any usefull information out of the device.

You can use:

dmesg - used to examine or control the kernel ring buffer (bootup log).
    ps - to see what processed are loaded and what state they are in.
    cat /proc/meminfo - to display memory status.

which might be usefull.

Something else is this entry in the Wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown
It could be helpful
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok..

I've installed Kiwi Syslog on my server pc, and set up dd-wrt to log all its' messages to that. I 've also set the TCP timeout to 90 instead of 3600, and the UDP timeout down to 90 as well. as per thier suggestions.

I'm not sure its an ip table type issue as the total connections never goes about 250.. but still, I've upped it to 1024 just to make sure.

I didn't have a chance to test all this yet on the latest release that I'm trying..DD-WRT v23 SP3 (03/04/07) micro (SVN revision 6107M). But I will tommorow.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't throw everything at it at once or you might just find your self fustrated. I realize you want it fixed but best to take it one peice at a time. Changing the setting just because they are in that post in the wiki is not a really good idea unless you have all the symptoms. And I'm sure the rest of the community would like to know why the problem exists so they can make sure it's fixed upstream. One piece at a time is always best when your trying to work out a problem of this nature. Since I'm now involved, I'd kinda like to know what the problem is myself Wink
BTW, awesome idea to use Kiwi Syslog.

Cheers
dficken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
will syslog work?
I have a v5 router with the micro version and I cannot get syslog to work.
I am guessing it is an issue with SNMP being stripped in the micro version due to the lack of memory in the v5.
Wouldn't this be the case for the v6 as well?
If not, let me know cause I just upgraded and see a few similar problems that I would like to troubleshoot.

Regards.
cordel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
dficken, You may very well be correct. I have only ever used the standard version and according to the Version Info SNMP is not in the micro or mini version. So this remote syslog facility most likely is not available Rolling Eyes
codetrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is sending syslog messages to Kiwi, I'm just not sure if it's sending ALL the syslog messages. I am getting detail down to NTP synch though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well.. I got a chance to test it out again, and the exact same problem happened again. *shrug*

Not too sure where to go from here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back to the question of what is the router reporting in it's error log? Anything??
What does it show for the memory?
What services are running?
What do you see if you tail dmesg?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: