Just bought a WRT54GL - Flashing question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
coolbho3000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 17:48    Post subject: Just bought a WRT54GL - Flashing question Reply with quote
I bought it from Newegg, and according to the user reviews they stock the 1.1 revision of the WRT54GL.

Wikipedia says the 1.1 version of this router accepts full 4MB firmware updates just fine (but not the 1.0).

The dd-wrt wiki seems to say that I have to flash the Micro version first.

So after verifying the WRT54GL is indeed 1.1, would it be safe to flash it with the Standard dd-wrt without flashing Micro first? Confused

Thanks
Sponsor
colinnwn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got my GL from Newegg and put v23 standard-generic on it first. It went fine. Recently upgraded to v24 RC7.
coolbho3000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I'll just flash Standard on to it first.
Transient
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've flashed a few WRT54GL in the past and I always had to start with the micro flash and then you can move to standard after that.

Maybe things have changed since then which allow you to just go with standard from the start.

In any case, you have nothing to lose by trying. It'll just reject the standard flash and reboot back to the Linksys firmware if it doesn't (or that was my experience anyway).
saturndude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:44    Post subject: You can, no problem Reply with quote
I bought my WRT54GL ver. 1.1 several months ago. I thought I read that I could flash directly to ver. 23 SP2 standard (9-15-06).

I did, and never had any problems. You should be fine.

Wonderful router.

EDIT: If you can download the factory firmware from the router to your machine, do it before flashing to DD-WRT. Finding the factory F/W might be a bit hard, there were several recent bugfix revisions, I believe the Linksys website might not have it.
z00100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
There should be no harm going to the STD version.

Just remember to push the reset button in the back of the router to clear out all old settings.

I didn't do that and had some issues till I did that.
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the GL v1, you either had to upgrade to the latest Linksys firmware first, or flash the mini (not Micro) version. This was because of a hardcoded limit on the size of the bin file. With the 1.1, this step is unnecessary, and I've succesfully flashed two WRT54GL 1.1's with the V23SP2 VPN build.

Make sure you do a hard reset before and after flashing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: