Bridged Client Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 0:20    Post subject: Bridged Client Mode Reply with quote
Does Bridged Client Mode work? If so, how do I set it up?

If not, let's track the progress in this thread, please.

(I am not interested in WDS client or NAT Client mode, etc. this thread is for pure bridged client mode - thank you)
Sponsor
rt_rex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try the new firmware 0203 it has been added the "Client Bridge" feature.
I have not tested it

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes try it, BS said it implemented it in the new versionn.

I wil do try it tonnight, just now that this mode on the WRT gives all clients its own MAC address. Dont know if this issue is resolved on the Fonera.
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't seem to work at all. It looks like Client mode (bridged or non-bridged) is broken, I can't connect to an AP with WPA-TKIP enabled, I don't know if it's the security or not because I can't turn it off on the AP.

I was able to connect to this AP with WPA-TKIP enabled with older firmware versions. Not sure if Client mode is broken in this version or I may have some other problem.
Willi72
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did a small check.

The result: "Client Brigde"-Mode doesn't work. Fonera crashes.

But Client mode (non bridged) works in my configuration.
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Willi72 wrote:
I did a small check.

The result: "Client Brigde"-Mode doesn't work. Fonera crashes.

But Client mode (non bridged) works in my configuration.

No luck here either. Weird things too.... I try to connect to my main router and the main router starts showing DHCP address' given to the MAC of the ethernet connection of the Fonera. Thing is the host hooked up via ethernet on the Fonera is not DHCP. It then shows the Fonera as a Client on the main router, but shows no IP.

At one point I was able to ping the IP of the host connected to the Fonera via ethernet, but not the IP of the Fonera. And the host ip I could ping, could not ping out.

Strange.

I was happy to see the option, hopefully it will be fully functional soon.

-D
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder why even non-bridge mode stopped working for me ...
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
SirDracula wrote:
I wonder why even non-bridge mode stopped working for me ...

Not sure. I'm really only wanting to use it for client-bridge mode so I'll wait. I've luckily got a WRT54GS that's filling in the current function. I'd just love to be able to replace it with the FON and use it for something else.

I'd try doing a full reset of the device and setting it back up after, it may help things.

-D
SirDracula
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried full reset, disabled all security on the AP, it can't even connect to the AP, something is wrong with the client. I guess I'll try going back to an older firmware that I know works.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client bridge mode new addition doesnt work, the bridge does get confused like before. The host PC at the fonera client bridge doesnt receive IP by DHCP from main router WRT.
darkmagic99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi

i have exactly the same issue.

I can't get my Fon router to connect to my WRT54GC router at all!

I'm trying to use the fon as a wireless bridge... still a no go! if anyone can get the fon to work as a wireless bridge properly.. it would be great!
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fon have always worked in Client mode, and WDS Station mode if the mainrouter is WDS AP.
The onnly issues have been with WDS links which still seem not to work?

The Client BRIDGED mode is a new function in latest release, which too seem not to work. Client mode however works.

I'm testing it right now, one Fonera in client mode and one in client Bridged mode and the mainrouter is WRT54gl.

However, they do have a connection undner status tab. The bridge itself seem to get messed up.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just rebooted first the FON, set up disabled internetconnection, Client bridged mode, gave it a IP in WRTs subnet and WRT as the gateway. Booted the WRT, the FON connected, connected a PC to fon ethernet with DHCP and it works.

Client Bridge mode do work for sure.

However, there issue that WRT also has with Client Bridged mode seems not resolved in the Fonera.
I have one PC connected to the Fonera, and looking up the arp table I see that both 10.1.1.40 (Fonera) and 10.1.1.3 (Fonera client PC) have Foneras WLAN MAC address.

It works to ping the PC, but not to accesss the Fonera.
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
Just rebooted first the FON, set up disabled internetconnection, Client bridged mode, gave it a IP in WRTs subnet and WRT as the gateway. Booted the WRT, the FON connected, connected a PC to fon ethernet with DHCP and it works.

However, there issue that WRT also has with Client Bridged mode seems not resolved in the Fonera.
I have one PC connected to the Fonera, and looking up the arp table I see that both 10.1.1.40 (Fonera) and 10.1.1.3 (Fonera client PC) have Foneras WLAN MAC address.

The fact that both Fonera and Fonera client PC shows the sam MAC address is normal. The same happens using a DD-WRT build on a WRT54GS. The reason for this is that the Wireless router, be it the Fonera or a WRT54GS sends all traffic to the other device, in the process replace any MAC address information in the header to it's own MAC address. This has been discussed in other posts. I have not yet been able to get Client Bridged mode working, but I may just try a full reset of the Fonera, and try again.

-D
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:

In the case of the Fonera, and it having only 1 ethernet port to share, why not just use MAC Cloning, and have the Fonera Clone the MAC Addresss of the Fonera Client?

-D
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: