WDS Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Brunzwick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 0:47    Post subject: WDS Questions Reply with quote
I know everyone is probably sick of the WDS questions but I'm really stuck here.

I have 2 WHR-G54S and have configured them according to the wiki. They both show they are connected to each other on their respective status pages but the client is the only router anyone can seem to connect to. It's like the host completely disappeared, even though it says it's connected.
Any ideas?

Also, I have searched all over the documentation but I cant find an explanation for the WDS Subnet feature. Can anyone tell me what this does and how it works?

Thanks!
Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using the same ssid ? WDS Mode LAN, AP mode client bridged ? Try dis-connecting from the wireless, then do a new wireless scan when you are a couple of feet from the primary router and then connect. Do you use net-stumbler to determine the MAC to which you connect ?
Brunzwick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
They are both on the same channel and have the same SSID. I have the wireless mode set to AP, should this be client bridged and if so, do both devices need to be set to client bridged?

I'll try this and see if it works or not.

Also, if anyone can tell me what the WDS Subnet feature is, I would greatly appreciate it.
Brunzwick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 17:44    Post subject: another question Reply with quote
If anyone can explain the best way to configure DHCP on WDS, I'd like to hear it. Ideally, I'd like for the Host router to forward the DHCP requests to our DHCP server rather than acting as a stand-alone DHCP server. Unfortunately, the host does not seem to be able to forward the DHCP requests to the DHCP server, even with forwarding enabled.

Currently I have the client configured to forward DHCP requests to the host and have enabled DHCP on the host. Can anyone make any kind of recommendations or explain why the host is not able to forward the DHCP requests on to our DHCP server?
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine works fine.

Host should have DHCP. Host should be configured as if it is the only router in the network. Only the WDS page is added in the setup of course.

Client can be used without DHCP, that's what I do. In SETUP/Internet Setup/Internet Connection Type, choose DISABLE. A little bit further down the page, Network Setup/Router IP, use the Gateway IP that is the IP of the host. Again a little bit further down, disable DHCP. Uncheck Use DNSMasq for DHCP.

Configure WDS on host of course.

Wireless mode should be AP on both routers.

Make sure your host has the MAC addresses of the clients you want them to connect to, in wireless MAC filter.

That setup works perfect for me. In fact I can control connections, if I prefer a client to connect on host, I just remove the MAC address in the filter of the client router. The opposite is also true.

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Brunzwick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually got it to work finally. I ended up doing exactly what you said and simply set the client to do DHCP forwarding to the host. Seems to wok pretty well so far.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brunzwick wrote:
I actually got it to work finally. I ended up doing exactly what you said and simply set the client to do DHCP forwarding to the host. Seems to wok pretty well so far.

Please report if, after several days of router uptime, clients cannot join the network anymore. Or better, they say they are associated but the routers dont show so. In this case you should find that the nas process in the router has died.
I would like to know if everybody has this problem.

Thank you
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alberto, for that to happen the result is that the clients would have no access to internet?
WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
FrankDD-WRT wrote:
Alberto, for that to happen the result is that the clients would have no access to internet?

I suppose that if a client was associated before nas died, it can still access the internet. If it disconnects and then reconnects agains, it does not work anymore. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I always had the problem while joining the network and never with long connected clients, but since it takes days to happen it is difficult to tell.
For sure you can access the offending router through the other WDS node or ethernet. At this point if you launch from telnet the nas process, copying the parameters from a ps on the other node, everything works again without rebooting.
Unfortunately I think that WDS watchdog can't do anything for this problem.
Maybe a daily scheduled reboot can work.
Or, as I told in another post on the old forum, at startup we could execute a script that
1) kills the original nas process
2) In a endless loop calls nas. If it dies it is called again

I will test this in the next days, since I turned the production routers to WEP for now. I ordered 5 GL from Pixmania (57€). Received 2 GL, 2 G v5, and one has still to be shipped. Monday I will return the Gs.
wlan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you know that WDS can connect to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX AP who work in any mode(AP, client,bridge, repeater) on the same channel, but not ONLY ! Yes, can connect to close channel too, but connection isn't good.

So, someone just get the MAC adress of one AP who is connected to your network in WDS and he don't need from more. Even with different IP adress he can connect to the network. No ssid, no MACs, no IP. Smile Especially with DHCP server. Laughing

Maybe only WEP/WPA/WPA2 can "stop" him. Laughing

With WDS is very easy to connect APs. Even when LAZY WDS is disabled. Laughing Shocked Cool :twisted:

My network is your network. Laughing
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:

I suppose that if a client was associated before nas died, it can still access the internet. If it disconnects and then reconnects agains, it does not work anymore.

I forgot to mention that this happens with WPA
pugsly0014
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
:BUMP

I have this same problem using the WPA encryption. It works, then stops, then starts to work again. I do not have this problem using WAP.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
pugsly0014 wrote:
:BUMP

I have this same problem using the WPA encryption. It works, then stops, then starts to work again. I do not have this problem using WAP.

See http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=382&highlight=

I was not able to test the solution mentioned, but it seems to work.
Nikao3785
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:50    Post subject: How to add a third router to WDS Reply with quote
I Have to routers stup with WDS, and i need to add a third router, what do i need to do in order to accomplish this task besides changing the ip addresses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: