Fonera Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
seathwest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 14:59    Post subject: Fonera Questions Reply with quote
1. Does anyone else's Fonera get very hot after operation?

2. Is it possible to have two wireless interfaces with one being an access point and the other a client?
Sponsor
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Not so very hot, compared to original firmware. It was burning hot then.

2. Yes, unde rwireless settings you have ath0:0 which is the main interface, this can ie Client mode or WDS Station mode, and under there you can create VAPs.
A Vap could be AP.
seathwest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
1. Not so very hot, compared to original firmware. It was burning hot then.

2. Yes, unde rwireless settings you have ath0:0 which is the main interface, this can ie Client mode or WDS Station mode, and under there you can create VAPs.
A Vap could be AP.
1. Really? I thought it felt alright under the normal firmware.

2. I tried that. When I have the virtual one (0.1) as an AP and the physical as a client, I cannot access the router at all.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange, this works nice for me, both in client mode and WDS station mode.
seathwest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
Strange, this works nice for me, both in client mode and WDS station mode.
What firmware version are you using? I have the 3-10 release.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im using 0310 too, but dioesnt use repeater as VAP no more.
Though it worked on 2 or 3 releases ago, because I had it 2 weeks ago fully working.
Both ethernet and WLAN clients connects to Fonera and gets DHCP, and Fonera relays to the main AP over WLAN.
seathwest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
Im using 0310 too, but dioesnt use repeater as VAP no more.
Though it worked on 2 or 3 releases ago, because I had it 2 weeks ago fully working.
Both ethernet and WLAN clients connects to Fonera and gets DHCP, and Fonera relays to the main AP over WLAN.
Do you think you could give me a copy of your nvram backup with reset passwords? I might figure out what I'm doing wrong, but what you had is exactly what I want.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe, i dont have a copy of the old configuration.

But I can lead you through it quickly.

First reset the router, then set the wireless mode to Client mode and the SSID, wireless channel and encryption matching the remote AP.
Then go to setup, and choose DHCP as Internet connection.
Further down the page you will have to give the Fonera a local IP different from the remote AP, ie 2.x if the remote is 1.x.

Enable DHCP and save, reboot.
Connect a PC to the ethernet, aquire DHCP andd you shold shortly receive IP from the Fonera (try surfing the web after this to see that everything is OK). Then go into Wireless tab again, and below the ath0:0 interface choose Add under virtual interfaces.
Choose AP mode, bridged and AP isolation disabled.
Also give this virtual AP a different SSID from the remote AP.

Then reboot if needed, wait a couple of minutes so the ethernet PC gets IP by DHCP, try Internet again and if it works, your connected fine to the remote AP.
Now do a search with a wireless laptop for networks, and you will se both the remote AP SSID and the Fonera virtual AP SSID. They must as said be different and not the same.
You can also ssetup separate encryption for the main and the virtual interfaces under wireless->security.

Try connectint to the Fonera VAP SSID, and you should receive DHCP address within same range as the ethernet PC. Internet should work.

Thats it, the Fonera relays both by ethernet and WLAN, acting as a wireless adapter for stationar PC and repeater for wireless laptops . Smile
seathwest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried it. Can't connect to the GUI at all from the ethernet connection or AP. I can connect and ping, but that's it.

EDIT: I flashed the Fonera with the 3/07 firmware and I can get in, but it crashes when I try to connect to an AP on the site survey list. I guess that's normal as it's a bug on the Wiki.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: