options.pppoe

Goto page 1, 2  Next
clayne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 14:10    Post subject: options.pppoe Reply with quote
Brainslayer or whoever else,

Can you please add an additional options file in the eval line present in root/src/router/services/network.c, line 1880 (http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/browser/src/router/services/network.c?rev=4531#L1880) so I can provide my own options and not have to use ridiculously dirty hacks like the one below just to override them?

Here, I'll even write the code for you:

Code:

struct stat st;

if (stat("/tmp/ppp/options.user", &st) == 0 && S_ISREG(st.st_mode))
        eval ("/usr/sbin/pppd",
                "file", "/tmp/ppp/options.pppoe",
                "file", "/tmp/ppp/options.user");
else
        eval ("/usr/sbin/pppd",
                "file", "/tmp/ppp/options.pppoe");

And my glorious hack in rc.firewall to get around assumed options:

Code:

if [ ! -f "/tmp/ppp/pppoe.correct" ]; then
logger '/tmp/ppp/pppoe.correct script does not exist'

cat << EOF > /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe.correct
plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe.so
nic-vlan1
noipdefault
noauth
defaultroute
maxfail 0
nomppe
nomppc
usepeerdns
user 'nope'
password 'nope'
mtu 1492
mru 1492
persist
debug
asyncmap 0
deflate 15,15
bsdcomp 15,15
lcp-echo-interval 3
lcp-echo-failure 10
EOF

cat << EOF > /tmp/ppp/pppoe.correct
#!/bin/sh
while true; do
        mp=\`ps | awk '/options.pppoe.correct/{ print \$1 }'\`
        if [ -z "\$mp" ]; then
                logger 'pppd not running with correct options'
                killall pppd
                /usr/sbin/pppd file /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe.correct >/dev/null
        fi

sleep 2
done
EOF

sh /tmp/ppp/pppoe.correct &

fi

Some of us are capable of using compression and would additionally like to change our LCP options to be more permissable.
Code:
Sponsor
clayne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, I've noticed since I had upgraded to SP3, my link drops on the slightest of issues. I went through SVN, and it looks like around 6/28/2007 (after SP2) the "newer" method of PPPOE initialization was used. One of such changes going in was to use an lcp-echo-failure setting of 3. I believe this setting is too aggressive. There are cases where access concentrators can become overloaded but the link is not actually dead and polling 3 quick times in succession will instantly bring the link down, where as using a value like 10 will result in more leeway and hence less disconnects.

Previously I would see a range of 1-10 disconnects a day, depending on how much load my ISP was seeing during peak hours. With my change to an lcp-echo-failure of 10, I have seen *0* disconnects.

I believe all of these PPP options should be configurable via the front-end and stored in nvram. There aren't that many of them, and it's also possible to just have an additional string field to add custom options.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why all compression has been disabled by default, though. That's a negative not a positive.
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG...this may be the fix for the frequent PPPoE disconnects countless people have been having with the router!

BrainSlayer, any input on this? Clayne really seems to know what hes talking about
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad
tinfoil
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Count one more as an affected user who is anxiously awaiting some guidance in this matter.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry. had no time to find this thread here. i readed it now and i will try it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it helps, I don't believe sp3 beta is affected by this. I'm wondering if, by some remote possibility, it has to do with the DST changes?
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
sorry. had no time to find this thread here. i readed it now and i will try it

thanks!! Very Happy
monoco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41    Post subject: my pppoe disconects frenquently too!!... Damn It! Reply with quote
Quote:
tinfoil Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Count one more as an affected user who is anxiously awaiting some guidance in this matter.

monoco wrote:
Hi Man, sorry to tell you that I've not come with a solution, but I have come to say that the same thing happens to me.

I have a WRT350N(Rev1) running dd-wrt v24-beta generic. And after an hour or so connected with pppoe my WAN(IP) disappears... it disconnects. Everything else works perfect.

Before I got this beast(wrt350n) I only had my Zyxel 650-R31 and I would have my connection nailed-up continiously for about a week before my WAN IP would change.

Fixing this would be a small step for man, but a big step for humanity... And since I'm no linux man (terribly regret it) I don't feel confortable messing around with configuration...

Regards!

POST A WORKAROUND!!!

pppoe_v24_Beta_VPN.jpg
 Description:
dd-wrt v24-beta VPN --PPPOE Setup Panel
 Filesize:  45.52 KB
 Viewed:  37544 Time(s)

pppoe_v24_Beta_VPN.jpg

shepd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same problem here, I really need to be able to adjust the LCP timeout settings, I get LCP errors all the time due to line issues. Yes, it would be easier to get the ISP to fix it. Unfortunately, until I learn to speak Hindi, I won't be able to explain it to the person in India servicing Sympatico.

Well, I can get my new ISP to fix it, but it would be nice if I could just get pppd to hang in there like it used to.
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
havn't seen in trac logs Sad
keks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi

same problem here! i fixed it (hopefully) with the rc_startup script below:

cat /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe | sed -e "s/lcp-echo-failure 3/lcp-echo-failure 10/g" > /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe.new
if [ -f "/tmp/ppp/options.pppoe.new" ]; then
killall pppd
/usr/sbin/pppd file /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe.new > /dev/null
fi

its working, but every time i change something in the GUI the PPPoE link goes shortly down and afer this the new pppd process uses the original options.pppoe script. has anybody a better workaround or did i overlook a fault???
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay. please add in this thread now all wanted configureable pppoe optionsfile options. i will add all of these in the next week or days. i hope this helps. and please think about only usefull options

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi brainslayer
how are you??

mhh, i think the lcp options and maybe compression are enough. but this is not the problem. i need a workaround for the running firmwares. i cant update them all. as i´ve seen you changed the values already in the v23 sp3 special. great!! for your information: my script is working in the v23 sp2 special but not in the v23 sp1 std. there mus be some differences.

greetings
andi
muzso
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 22:09    Post subject: echo-requests Reply with quote
Hi!

I just got hit by this issue too (I always had pppoe disconnects, but I just tried SP3 and still have problems). I've got the following in the log:
Quote:
Jun 3 21:35:58 DD-WRT syslog.info -- MARK --
Jun 3 21:36:35 DD-WRT daemon.info pppd[389]: No response to 10 echo-requests
Jun 3 21:36:35 DD-WRT daemon.notice pppd[389]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jun 3 21:36:35 DD-WRT daemon.info pppd[389]: Connect time 19681775.9 minutes.
Jun 3 21:36:35 DD-WRT daemon.info pppd[389]: Sent 1904224796 bytes, received 605895682 bytes.
Jun 3 21:36:41 DD-WRT daemon.info pppd[13210]: Plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe.so loaded.

My /tmp/ppp/options.pppoe already has "lcp-echo-interval 5" and "lcp-echo-failure 10" (since I'm using SP3 beta from 2007-05-29), but it seems that with my ISP (Hungary, T-Com) even these values are not high enough. I'm not sure whether raising these would solve my disconnects, but I'd be happy to see nvram variables for setting these permanently (I mean having them persist over reboots).

Hopefully Brainslayer will find the time to create the nvram variables for the ppp options.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: