Restricting World of Warcraft access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RedViking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 0:16    Post subject: Restricting World of Warcraft access Reply with quote
Hi All

I have searched the forums and cannot find what I am looking for: Sad I need to be able to limit all WoW access during the week to 8:00pm to 11:pm and open on the weekends.

I already have 2 rules killing all access after 11 on the weekdays. They work fine, Smile much to the annoyance of my kids.

I can't seem to configure anything from the DD-WRT gui that works. Do I have to change the way the rules work ie: deny all access all the time in rule 10, then allow web for specific times, Wow for specific times? I confess that i am a Linux and therefore iptables noob.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction. I had a go at netfilter.org for info Confused but that was way beyond me.

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.
Sponsor
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why don't you use the Access Restrictions, there you can restrict WoW and a lot of other services.

Donater
RedViking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
Why don't you use the Access Restrictions, there you can restrict WoW and a lot of other services.

I have tried there: when you select the wow protocol and the time and all pc's it is great - when you then select Deny - the protocols gray out and all access gets blocked. Thats the part that I just can't get through how to make it work. Using latest B24.

Thanks
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just checked and it's true, BUT you shouldn't check Deny. It stands for "Deny Internet access during selected days and hours. "

You should only select the protocol since that's already in the Blocked Services box.

Donater
RedViking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
I just checked and it's true, BUT you shouldn't check Deny. It stands for "Deny Internet access during selected days and hours. "

You should only select the protocol since that's already in the Blocked Services box.

I have done that too, but nothing gets blocked then. Sad That is what is so frustrating. With that service "blocked" it still gets through no problem.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
And you've also defined ip's and timesettings?

Donater
RedViking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
And you've also defined ip's and timesettings?

MAC addresses
Dan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been having the same problem trying to block Skype and other high bandwidth services during set times for certain Users whilst allowing others Access for selected periods of time.

The L7 protocol does not seem to work for the items blocked.
I edited the services to block certain ports but only managed to block ALL access to the internet for those users.

Guess I need more info as to how the blocked services work in order to block the correct Ports.

Pressure of other items that need attention has left this hanging for the last 3 weeks.

I hope we can get this problem resolved.

The last rule I tried to use Allows Internet access (0800 to 2300) but has Certain Blocked Services selected.
The rule covers All IP addresses in the set 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254.
Users are intended to be allowed access by MAC addressing (+ encryption) at selected times to the Blocked services, with normal surfing the rest of the time.
Blocking does not seem to happen.

I am able to Block Access totally for an extended period (eg 0800 to 2300) and allow Access to different Users at selected Times (eg 0800 to 1057, 1100 to 1357, 1400 to 1657 etc).
This has been very successful at spreading the Bandwidth load throughout the day.
By setting this rule to Allow Internet Access and Inserting Blocked services eg Skype I thought/expected it to work.

If anyone wonders why the times do not follow on exactly, I found that some users did not always get switched out if activity was high at switch over time. 3 minutes seemed just enough to give the router time to switch out the old users, before switching in the new. Maximum is 5/6 users at one time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: