Checking repeater link speeds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 23:59    Post subject: Checking repeater link speeds? Reply with quote
How might I check both the link speed between a client and a v24 repeater, and between the repeater and the primary router? I see only one link speed.
Sponsor
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, what exactly is the link speed shown in the wireless status? Suppose there are two wireless clients connected to the repeater and the repeater connected wirelessly to another router. How might I find all the link speeds in the status pages of the repeater? Can the link speed be different between repeater and its wireless clients and between repeater and the main AP being repeated, or does the repeater use the slowest speed of the client and host AP devices? In otherwords how does the repeater determine what speed it uses? Would connecting an 802.11b device to a repeater slow its bit rate to the main AP to 11mbs as well, and slow that entire network too? Thanks
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The link speed can definitately be different between each point. The end to end throughput will be limited by the slowest link speed in the chain.

The link speed represented on the wireless status page reflects the connection between a router as a client and an access point. For dedicated APs, the link speed can be different to each client. (I.E if 6 clients are connected to an access point, 2 could be running at 11mbps, 2 at 24mbps, and the last 2 at 54mbps).
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
JohnnyPrimus wrote:
The link speed represented on the wireless status page reflects the connection between a router as a client and an access point. For dedicated APs, the link speed can be different to each client. (I.E if 6 clients are connected to an access point, 2 could be running at 11mbps, 2 at 24mbps, and the last 2 at 54mbps).
I experimented a little more. I setup me repeater to repeat my main AP with a 54Mbit speed between the two. I then connected to the repeater from a laptop with a b card and with a g card and checked the speed shown for each. I saw 11 and 54 respectively. So it seems that when there is one client to the repeater the link speed shown is between the client and the repeater, not between the repeater and the main router. Would the speed shown be the slowest client when there are multiple clients? Does the repeater show the link speed to the main router anywhere, or would one have to check that in the main router?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am curious, is there any way to see all the link speeds from the router config pages for all the clients, as well as the link to the original router being repeated? Can a command do it?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Given the lack of response, I guess there is no way to get all the link speeds for a router? Am I correct?
canis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
JN wrote:
Am I correct?

No.
Forget about theoretical informations uf the user interface.
There is only 1 (one) argument: Net transfer rate.
Get DUMeter or similar, a stopwatch or whatever, and try out, transfer a file, take the time, and calculate.
Be lucky, if 2.4 MByte/s are reachable.
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
canis wrote:
JN wrote:
Am I correct?

No.
Forget about theoretical informations uf the user interface.
There is only 1 (one) argument: Net transfer rate.
Get DUMeter or similar, a stopwatch or whatever, and try out, transfer a file, take the time, and calculate.
Be lucky, if 2.4 MByte/s are reachable.
What I would like to be able to do, is if I connect to a repeater, check the megabits speed of the radio link between me and the repeater, and the speed between the repeater and the router it is connected to. The GUI shows one speed. Is there some command I can use or some other way to get this info from the repeater?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a way to check both the link speeds yet - between client and repeater - and between repeater and host AP?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
JN wrote:
Is there a way to check both the link speeds yet - between client and repeater - and between repeater and host AP?

Sure. Hard wire a computer to the host AP, one to the repeater and connect 1 wirelessly to the repeater. Now you have computer #1, computer #2 and computer #3. Install Q-Check on all 3 computers. Run loop tests from computer #1 and computer #2. Multiply by 2.1 and that is the air data link rate of the repeater to host AP. Then do a loop test from computer #3 to computer #2 and multiply that value by 2.1 and you will have the air link rate of the client to repeater.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
JN wrote:

Sure. Hard wire a computer to the host AP, one to the repeater and connect 1 wirelessly to the repeater. Now you have computer #1, computer #2 and computer #3. Install Q-Check on all 3 computers. Run loop tests from computer #1 and computer #2. Multiply by 2.1 and that is the air data link rate of the repeater to host AP. Then do a loop test from computer #3 to computer #2 and multiply that value by 2.1 and you will have the air link rate of the client to repeater.
What if the AP is not under my control. For example, if I am repeating a hotel network with not so great signal by putting the repeater in the best location in the room or suite and using my laptop where I want to sit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: