4.5MB/sec MAX on e3000 N wireless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Segraves1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40    Post subject: 4.5MB/sec MAX on e3000 N wireless Reply with quote
I just got a new v2 e3000 this week and installed DD-WRT on it. For some reason I am not getting over 4.5MB/sec on JPERF 2.0.2 (avg around 3.25-3.5MB/sec). That's about 35mbit/sec max, which is pathetic seeing as how many people are showing 90mbit/sec and up. I'm less than 10feet away from the router without any obstructions.

The laptop has a brand new (installed in January) mini pci-e n wireless card and all 3 antennas for MIMO setting.
GIGABYTE GN-WI06N-RH 802.11N a/b/g/n draft 2.0 miniPCI wireless - Atheros AR5008 chipset AirCruiser N300 Dual Band Mini Card.

The "server" is my desktop that is on gigbit lan. If I connect CAT5e to the laptop's gig port, I'm seeing sustained 40MB/sec rate.

I am using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands for N only (I also have an eeepc which works with 2.4GHz however it is only seeing about 2.5MB/sec). Both are set to 40MHz width as I have open channels around my house.

2.4GHz is on channels 6 + 10
5GHz is on channels 36 + 40

I use a separate AP for my G wireless set on a non-overlapping channel (channel 1).

I have scanned with inSSIDer 2.0 and have confirmed no overlap of channels.

Is there something I should be looking for that would perhaps be causing my slow wireless?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsor
latinpapie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
It all depends on what your paying for when it comes to your ISP. If your paying for a 4mb line then thats your max out....
WRT310N V2 CB K2.6 BS 15362 STD Nokaid
Segraves1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, but I'm not talking about internet speed. This is simply data transfer rate within my wireless network (one computer to another). As I stated, wired connection I get consistent 40MB/sec speed whereas over the wireless I'm only getting 4MB/sec. So this is a wireless issue, not an ISP issue.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a wiki article on wireless n configuration. Check it out and see if you missed anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:
There is a wiki article on wireless n configuration. Check it out and see if you missed anything.

If you mean this one:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration#Wireless_Security
I have gone through it backwards and forwards yet nothing stands out.

My signal strength is excellent (5 bars and -40RSSI) so I can't for the life of me see any issue that would be giving me such slow speeds, thus why I posted hoping someone with more wireless experience might have some ideas of things to try.

Chris
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
What link rate are you getting?

I take it you've seen my throughput numbers, but are you setting jperf with a 2MB TCP window like I do? If I don't raise either the TCP window or buffer size then I get pretty terrible results. When I first started testing I also tried UDP which showed even better throughput than TCP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: