[Focused Testing] k2.4 VLAN GUI fixes (now k2.6 fixes too)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
hm looks bad.

did i miss anything?

nvram set vlan2ports="4 8"
nvram set vlan1ports="1 2 3 8*"
nvram commit
reboot

my 610n is directly (port4 = wan) connected to my wrt160n lan port two. if i connect via wlan to the 610n is get an 192.168.1.x.
if i connect to my wrt160n via wlan i get a 192.168.0.x
So far, there isnt a lan to lan connection between the routers, because before i´ll also got a 192.168.0.x when connected to the 610n and otherwise.
so i had two dhcp servers.
But i am not able to geht a wan dhcp address.

btw: whats the new: "new_vlan2ports" setting for ?

i do only wap54g wrt54g and wrt160 well known

cant be much more.
btw: k24 shows up: wan ip:
k26 shows up: wan ip: 0.0.0.0
bit i have to say, the dhcp scenario is not tested under k26 yet.

edit: under K26 dhcp shit works ! so never mind the bla bla above
so why not under more stable k24

TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be using the GUI to configure your VLAN's with these builds. You're setting the wrong nvram variables and if you really want to know more about them then read the switched ports wiki page.
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess i did not the wrong ones. cause at least it worked for dhcp, hadn´t it? my wrt160n is using some vlans, so i´am generally in touch with them.

of course, first i tried using the gui. but there was no effect. i put port 3 in vlan 2 and disabled wan. accept and reboot. at the end, the vlan variables were still at factory default. but nevermind, thats not the main problem at least. my device is still unuseable for me with at least two ports. i cannot build my vlan infrastructure with them.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
BasCom wrote:
i guess i did not the wrong ones. cause at least it worked for dhcp, hadn´t it? my wrt160n is using some vlans, so i´am generally in touch with them.

of course, first i tried using the gui. but there was no effect. i put port 3 in vlan 2 and disabled wan. accept and reboot. at the end, the vlan variables were still at factory default. but nevermind, thats not the main problem at least. my device is still unuseable for me with at least two ports. i cannot build my vlan infrastructure with them.

But DHCP on the WAN only worked on the k2.6 build, right? Does PPPoE work with the k2.6 build now?

You didn't mention before that the VLAN GUI wasn't working. Creating a new VLAN with the GUI is part of the tests I outlined! Does the GUI not work on k2.4, k2.6, or both?

You probably thought the GUI didn't change the nvram variables because the GUI uses different variables than the switch driver does for configuring VLAN's, it's explained on the switched ports page.

BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
dhcp did work for k26. i can test pppoe again.
i mentioned before: i need a tagged vlan7 to dial in. maybe this isnt workin correctly yet.
so i´ve set to dtag vlan 7 enabled. in wrt160n case this option write "0t 5t" into /proc/switch/eth0/vlan/7/ports

the wrt610n does not, by replacing eth0 with eth2, so i had to do it myself, replacing 5 with 8.

i´ve read the switched port page over a year ago, but i didnt remeber the fact, the gui uses other variables. i will do a full test all over and edit this post for the results.

Edit: so here comes the first test K26 last eko build.
nvram vlan variables factory reset:
Code:

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show |grep vlan
new_vlan1hwname=et0
vlan2ports=0 8
new_vlan2ports=0 8
port5vlans=1 2 16
port3vlans=1
port1vlans=1
wl0_vlan_prio_mode=off
vlan2hwname=et0
wan_ifname2=vlan2
pppoe_wan_ifname=vlan2
vlan1_bridged=1
lan_ifnames=vlan1 eth0 eth1
pppoe_ifname=vlan2
wan_default=vlan2
wan_ifnames=vlan2
use_new_vlan=1
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
new_vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
wandevs=vlan2
port4vlans=1
vlans=0
port2vlans=1
new_vlan2hwname=et0
port0vlans=2
wan_ifname=vlan2
landevs=vlan1 wl0
dtag_vlan8=0
size: 27908 bytes (4860 left)
wl1_vlan_prio_mode=off

Now: after changing port 4 into vlan2 and WAN into vlan1 via GUI and pressing SAVE.
Code:

new_vlan1hwname=et0
vlan2ports=0 8
new_vlan2ports=0 8
port5vlans=1 2 16
port3vlans=1 18 19
port1vlans=1 18 19
wl0_vlan_prio_mode=off
vlan2hwname=et0
wan_ifname2=vlan2
pppoe_wan_ifname=vlan2
vlan1_bridged=1
lan_ifnames=eth0 vlan1 eth0
pppoe_ifname=vlan2
wan_default=vlan2
wan_ifnames=vlan2
use_new_vlan=1
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
wandevs=vlan2
port4vlans=2 18 19
vlans=1
port2vlans=1 18 19
new_vlan2hwname=et0
port0vlans=1 18 19
wan_ifname=vlan2
landevs=vlan1 wl0
size: 28080 bytes (4688 left)
dtag_vlan8=0
wl1_vlan_prio_mode=off

After pressing Apply, the device becomes unaccessable on port 4. so far so good.
...going to the device, changing cable to port 3 ...
and the device is reachable again.
vlan variables again:
Code:

new_vlan1hwname=et0
vlan2ports=0 8
new_vlan2ports=0 8
port5vlans=1 2 16
port3vlans=1 18 19
port1vlans=1 18 19
wl0_vlan_prio_mode=off
vlan2hwname=et0
wan_ifname2=vlan2
pppoe_wan_ifname=vlan2
vlan1_bridged=1
lan_ifnames=eth0 eth0 vlan1
size: 28206 bytes (4562 left)
pppoe_ifname=vlan2
wan_default=vlan2
wan_ifnames=vlan2
use_new_vlan=1
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
wandevs=vlan2
port4vlans=2 18 19
vlans=1
wan_iface=vlan2
port2vlans=1 18 19
new_vlan2hwname=et0
port0vlans=1 18 19
probe_blacklist=eth2 vlan1
wan_ifname=vlan2
landevs=vlan1 wl0
dtag_vlan8=0
wl1_vlan_prio_mode=off

DHCP on port 4 works fine after pluggin a second cable into port 4. WRT610N got an IP from my WRT160N IP-Range.

and now the confusing thing:
according my little network infrastructure, i cannot boot the wrt610n with both cables plugged in, cause this will fuck up my entire network.( not really surprised ) I´ll have to wait till the WRT610N seperates the switch-ports.

A little suspect is: Booting up with the cable on port 3 first i can ping the wrt610n without problems and still after pluggin in the DHCP Cable on port 4. The WRT610N gets it´s ip after that, too.

But if i turn around this process, the device gets its IP, but becomes unaccessable through LAN port 3.

Huh, whats happening there Very Happy

But: Where are the differences between setting up a vlan and factory settings in the nvram variables? ( except 18 and 19 as described in switched ports ) if no information are saved about which ports are associated with e.g. vlan2, where else does the GUI store them?

you just told me "vlan.ports= x x x x*" will be ignored by the GUI.

edit2: pppoe works great now to me.i made a mistake yesterday.

as i told you i have to set vlan7 dtag. when enabled, the ddwrt brings up ethX.0007 and writes

into /proc/switch/ethX/vlan/7/ports/ "0t 8t" to hang at this ports ( wan and cpu ) 7 as tag to the pakets. (in my case (defect wan port) 4t 8t)

the WRT610N unit does this NOT, it has to be fixed. I will contact Eko about this. Actually, the WRT610N doesn´t do it, i have to do it myself via startup command. i had a copy and paste error from my wrt160n config and i wrote

echo "4t 1t" > /proc/switch/eth2/vlan/7/ports

instead of

echo "4t 8t" > /proc/switch/eth2/vlan/7/ports

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
BasCom wrote:
But: Where are the differences between setting up a vlan and factory settings in the nvram variables? ( except 18 and 19 as described in switched ports ) if no information are saved about which ports are associated with e.g. vlan2, where else does the GUI store them?

you just told me "vlan.ports= x x x x*" will be ignored by the GUI.

It's on the wiki, the GUI uses port#vlans (different from vlan#ports). Here's an explanation of it all to the best of my knowledge:

1 - First the CFE loads and afaik uses the vlan#ports variables but some may use hardcoded values. AFAIK some models have faulty CFE's that overwrite vlan1ports and vlan2ports so they have new_vlan1ports and new_vlan2ports to work around the CFE bug. The other vlan#ports variables aren't affected and so the rest don't need "new_" in front, only 1 and 2 do.

2 - Then the firmware starts loading and the switch driver itself (bcmrobo.c) uses the vlan#ports variables.

3 - Finally the firmware loads kernel modules (switch-core and switch-robo) which interface with the switch and provides the /proc/switch directory to change the live configuration without rebooting. The firmware reads the GUI's port#vlans variables (not vlan#ports) and uses them for the final configuration. I think that the k2.4 builds don't read the port#vlans variables on boot and only use it if you apply the VLAN GUI settings while it's running, so after booting the VLAN's will be configured however they were after step 2. Before 15508, the k2.6 builds wouldn't do this step and so the VLAN's would be configured however they were after step 2.

vulcan59
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tested OK on a WRT54GS V4 except I had to run ifconfig vlan3 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0.
Mangan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 14:58    Post subject: Success: PPPoE on Linksys 610N v2 run 17084M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko Reply with quote
Hi! I didn't use the test firmware but the 17084M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko build on my Linksys WRT610N v2. Same problem here with PPPoE.

Followed instruction and was successful. PPPoE works.

Two things to mention:

1. I had to set the IP manually on the command line because the GUI didn't work.

2. Changes were made for port 4, not 1. Here my output:

nvram show | grep vlan.*ports
vlan2ports=0 8
new_vlan2ports=0 8
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
size: 29268 bytes (3500 left)

Mangan
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 22:18    Post subject: Re: Success: PPPoE on Linksys 610N v2 run 17084M NEWD-2 K2.6 Reply with quote
Mangan wrote:
Hi! I didn't use the test firmware but the 17084M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko build on my Linksys WRT610N v2. Same problem here with PPPoE.

Followed instruction and was successful. PPPoE works.

So PPPoE was broken before but it's fixed for you in 17084?

Mangan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 15:34    Post subject: PPPoE also broken in 17084 Reply with quote
Hi! I meant that it is the same issue with 17084 (PPPoE broken!) and the solution in this thread helped for this 17084, too.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 22:17    Post subject: Re: PPPoE also broken in 17084 Reply with quote
Mangan wrote:
Hi! I meant that it is the same issue with 17084 (PPPoE broken!) and the solution in this thread helped for this 17084, too.

Huh? The only solution for the PPPoE bug is to use the test build or a more recent build that includes the fixes. My instructions do not include any workaround to fix PPPoE. Were you just not applying your settings before?

Mangan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 15:21    Post subject: short story long Reply with quote
You don't try to tell me I forgot to hit "apply", do you? No, I never dealed with the test build. The firmware I used before was DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/19/10) mega - build 15943M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko on same Linksys WRT610N v2 with WORKING PPPoE. Then I switched over to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/17/11) mega (SVN revision 17084M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko) and got stuck with PPPoE not working for hours until a found this thread. I just did those things described in here (VLAN & bridging stuff) and after that I was online. I just wanted to share this as it helped me get the 17084 online with PPPoE. BTW and as mentioned above, the ports are mixed up in 17084, too. Maybe this is relevant in relation to the PPPoE issue?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just trying to make sense of what you're saying. My instructions are in no way supposed to fix PPPoE for you, the instructions are to test whether the build itself fixes VLAN's and a PPPoE bug that was caused by some previous VLAN fixes in 15508. If PPPoE was working for you in 15943 then it should have still worked for you in 17084 and nothing in my instructions should have changed that.

Would you mind hard resetting and check again that PPPoE does not work for you by default in 17084. If it doesn't work then try rebooting once and check if it works then. If it still doesn't work then try going to the VLAN page and press Apply without changing any VLAN settings.

Mangan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 22:17    Post subject: Here we go Reply with quote
- Did a hard reset
- Password change
- inserted PPPoE settings, Apply+Save
NO CONNECTION / NO WAN IP
- hit Status > WAN > Connect
- (Soft) Reboot using GUI
- again hit Status > WAN Connect
- went to VLAN settings page, Apply+Save
- (Soft) Reboot using GUI
- went to VLAN settings, changed settings and changed them back to original, Apply+Save
- then I turned the router completely off for some time and on again
CONNECTION + WAN IP!

Because the power off reset made the difference I repeated the test as follows:

- Did a hard reset
- Password change
- again hit Status > WAN Connect
- went to VLAN settings page, Apply+Save
- went to VLAN settings, changed settings, Apply+Save, and changed them back to original, Apply+Save
CONNECTION + WAN IP!

Now it seemed like changing the VLAN settings made the difference, so I repeated as follows:

- Did a hard reset
- Password change
- went to VLAN settings, changed settings, Apply+Save, and changed them back to original, Apply+Save
CONNECTION + WAN IP!

So it seems like really changing VLAN settings helps along.
This means you're right: This is some other issue. This thread just helped me, because I had
a reason to change some VLAN settings.

Does this make any sense? Do you know where to put this, so that someone cares about this in future releases?
Mangan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 22:29    Post subject: Final proof Reply with quote
As a final proof I just restored my last backup file I saved right before the test series and changed back all the settings in VLANs and Networking to default.

Now, PPPoE still works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: