WRT54G v5 - dd-wrt Performance vs. Stock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Pentium90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:05    Post subject: WRT54G v5 - dd-wrt Performance vs. Stock Reply with quote
My WRT54G v5 has been a better router than older D-Link and Netgear routers that I have tried. However, it could still be better. Sometimes webpages just hang. It feels like the router is in an infinite loop. The connection becomes sluggish until I disconnect and reconnect both the DSL modem and router. I suppose the problem could be the DSL modem too...

However, is the dd-wrt performance any better than stock WRT54G v5 firmware? Has anyone ever measured this? I don't care about extra features, all I want is a fast and reliable connection. I am surprised that I could not find any comments about performance in this forum.
Sponsor
GunTolo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you never try..you'll never know Smile...read on the wiki about this firmware... G v5 just only support with micro version because it have lower memory then other series.. for the feature of micro version you can read / search on wiki section

good luck

28 GL+DD-WRT v23 SP3 Std
13 WRT300N v.1 v24 06-20-07
2 GL/SP1/200 mW+Hyperlink 24 db >> 16 km Point to Point
Pentium90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked through the wiki and found absolutely nothing about performance. They only talked about cool features, which I mostly do not care about. Before risking turning my router into a brick, I want to make sure that there is at least some small performance benefit that I could gain. Why did Linksys turn away from Linux starting with wrt v5?
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
the dd-wrt performance any better....

I'm going to say generally no, it isn't better. About the only thing that may make performance better is the ability to turn up the signal strength on the wireless.

The issue is not about performance per se. The issue is about features and stability. The features of the DDWRT firmware blow away the factory firmware from Linksys. I mean not even a competition between the two. And for the stable "final" releases, the ddwrt firmware is STABLE.

So if you are looking for some kind of performance increase, probably not going to happen with firmware change. You could buy a fan, heatsink stick on gizmos, and maybe over clock the CPU with the DDWRT firmware...... That might boost performance some. But you'd want to add lots of cooling.

Jim
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why did Linksys turn away from Linux starting with wrt v5?

MONEY
Pentium90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsmiddleton4 wrote:
the dd-wrt performance any better....

I'm going to say generally no, it isn't better. About the only thing that may make performance better is the ability to turn up the signal strength on the wireless.

The issue is not about performance per se. The issue is about features and stability. The features of the DDWRT firmware blow away the factory firmware from Linksys. I mean not even a competition between the two. And for the stable "final" releases, the ddwrt firmware is STABLE.

So if you are looking for some kind of performance increase, probably not going to happen with firmware change. You could buy a fan, heatsink stick on gizmos, and maybe over clock the CPU with the DDWRT firmware...... That might boost performance some. But you'd want to add lots of cooling.

Jim

Actually, I do care about stability too. But by stability, you mean that the router will not go into an infinite loop where it slows down and requires a reboot. right? Or does stability mean something else?
Pentium90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Why did Linksys turn away from Linux starting with wrt v5?

MONEY

Don't they have to pay VxWorks to develop a firmware? Could they not have used something such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT instead for free? Open source is free right?
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pentium90 wrote:
Could they not have used something such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT instead for free? Open source is free right?

You can't have a cake and eat it, too ......
Pentium90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's an interesting link:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/469092836/m/654002783831

Alright, you guys have convinced me. I will upgrade probably tonight or tomorrow night. Can't have the router die now.
fire2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
They switched to VxWorks because it was a smaller size and that would enable them to put half of the memory into the routers and still sell them at the same price, because they would have the same features. Also, by locking the firmware they created a new market segment. They could now sell regular WRT54Gs with stripped down hardware for the same price as they were selling the better ones, and then they could sell "hackable" versions for more money, even though they were identical to the old WRT54G V.4 routers.

It sounds to me like you actually are looking more for stability than performance. I personally started using aftermarked firmware on my WRT54G v.2 because I would have to reboot the router every 1-3 days because it would freeze. This was very anoying to me, so I searched for possible solutions and stumbled into the world of aftermarked Linksys firmware. Almost all of the aftermarket firmware versions available for the WRT54G can handle more simultaneous connections than the Linksys firmware. This must just be due to better coding, because this is usually something that is hardware dependant. Even if you don't need extra features, you should be able to find the stability (and slightly better performance) you are looking for with DD-WRT. Make sure you follow the v.5 directions and happy upgrading.
jongi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I perceived my router to perform better after I upgraded to DD-WRT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: