Unsuccessful flashes using r37305 (10/10/18) and later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
michaelvec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:59    Post subject: Unsuccessful flashes using r37305 (10/10/18) and later Reply with quote
Trying to flash my ea8500 with the latest version but can only use r37139 from 10/4/18 and earlier.
New versions dont flash: message from the webgiu after 10 mins: flash failed. ssh still able to logon. console reboot or switch on/off brings the router back but not with the new version.
Also trying the kong build from 10/4 and later - same thing.

Checking with others here if you encounter the same. Is there another procedure to get these versions flashed?

Please let me know if you know more.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is NO problem flashing an EA8500 with either Kong or BS builds.

I suggest you maybe clear your browser cache and download the correct firmware again.
You may even have to reset the router first .....depending on what all nasty crap you may have on it.

Probably best suggestion would be use a different browser to flash thru its GUI.

I had zero problems flashing the EA8500 with any new builds released in last several months.

This is, of course, assuming it already has dd-wrt on it Question

--EDIT:
make for damnu sure you only use 'dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin'......don't use an .img file from main dd-wrt downloads

Last edited by mrjcd on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06; edited 1 time in total
michaelvec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00    Post subject: Unsuccessful flashes using r37305 (10/10/18) and later Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
There is NO problem flashing an EA8500 with either Kong or BS builds.

I suggest you maybe clear your browser cache and download the correct firmware again.
You may even have to reset the router first .....depending on what all nasty crap you may have on it.

Probably best suggestion would be use a different browser to flash thru its GUI.

I had zero problems flashing the EA8500 with any new builds released in last several months.

This is, of course, assuming it already has dd-wrt on it Question

Hi MrJCD,
first let me thank you for the incredible guidance to flash an ea8500 on your website. It was fantastic to get such help!!! (Flash was done 1 year ago).

I did a hard reset 30/30/30 prior to flashing. Used chrome multiple times but didnt clear the cache and didnt use another browser. Downloaded it multiple times.
I will follow your suggestions - drove me nuts last night.

Thank you for the help and confirming that it works!

Very much appreciated,
Mike
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
some have had trouble using new Chrome browser with winders system. I actually had once here lately when new firefox browser on the linux failed to properly update a router --- promptly switch to Chromium and it went just fine.
Could be anything ---- but there is no problem with new builds.

currently running Kong newest 10/22/18 build on the EA8500 main router ...no problems
reckel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:38    Post subject: Same Complaint on the Flashing Reply with quote
Been struggling with the EA8500 as well.

Keeping partition 2 at Kong 31870M and upgrading to partition 1

get continuous "udhcpc: read error: Network is down, reopening socket" out of stderr, login on serial, set to part 2 and reboot.

does this with all the late Kong builds, and just did a BS build 37305 with same results.

Concerned that the nvram is bad in this router.

Seem to recall that the 30-30-30 is highly discouraged somewhere in the Wiki

oh ... and YES - just switched browsers and laptops to ensure clean environment
And added console log...
T

Last edited by reckel on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44; edited 1 time in total
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56    Post subject: Re: Same Complaint on the Flashing Reply with quote
reckel wrote:
Keeping partition 2 at Kong 31870M and upgrading to partition

Don't care what you may have heard that just aint a good ideal. They do silly things like that with some of the Linksys devices over in the Marvell forum.

1. Both parts use the same nvram

2. 31870M is at least a year old --- so that means that build uses 64K nvram where all EA8500 builds now use 128KB .... problem switching parts -- yea probably Twisted Evil

If you have a favorite build you may want to keep --- then save it along with its nvram backup.

I know that if you install an old 64KB nvram build over a newly config build it will look just like the EA8500 has been reset.
reckel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:23    Post subject: Re: Same Complaint on the Flashing Reply with quote
Okay - little level set: This is a New To Me EA8500 that I followed your very good HOW-TO at
http://mrjcd.com/EA8500_DD-WRT/ to go from Linksys crap to DD-WRT. In fact I reloaded the Linksys image, upgraded to the latest release, and THEN redid the instructions FROM SCRATCH to ensure correct process.

The result is I can get it going with the 31870M, but every any other upgrade through the GUI fails. PERIOD.

Reset or not, BS or KONG, Part 1 or 2

Looking for T/S hints as to WHY no upgrade through the 31870M GUI results in a usable image.

Willing and able to push a lot of buttons and wait out a lot of loads, but not willing to be a punching bag.

SO - given that the instructions in your page are failing, what are we doing wrong? Where is the error?

T
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:58    Post subject: Re: Same Complaint on the Flashing Reply with quote
reckel wrote:
Okay - little level set: .....

Are you saying it has r31780M kongat (03/26/17) on both parts as described in my 'How-to' and you cannot upgrade to any other build????

I have never heard of that before so I really cannot say what the problem is.

Have you used the 'EA8500 revert firmware' to go back to Linksys FW ---- might try that see if works correctly for you.
http://mrjcd.com/EA8500_DD-WRT/EA8500revert.html
Reset see if Linksys is working ok then GUI install 'EA8500-factory-to-ddwrt.img' from http://mrjcd.com/Malachi/KONG-EA8500/Kong_30700M-093016/

Then see about upgrade.
Could be a different version uboot Question

NOTE: all firmware on my site is for US made EA8500
reckel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been there - Done that

Aware of the effort this can cause so exhausted all possibilities before troubling this group

To be very clear - can "Upgrade" but ALWAYS get

udhcpc: read error: Network is down, reopening socket

repeating on the console (for stderr no doubt).

so the software goes in - it boots - then stuck. repeating error makes T/S and "adjustment" difficult. Cannot connect through wire or WIFI

UBOOT output:
U-Boot 2012.07 [Standard IPQ806X.LN,r40331] (Oct 12 2015 - 17:00:55)

CBT U-Boot ver: 1.0.12

What is this "US made EA8500"?? Everything I have says "China"

T
reckel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
And to pass on a nugget I learned:

When doing the :
setenv image EA8500WW-factory-to-ddwrt.img
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.200
setenv serverip 192.168.1.122
run flashimg2

there is no need to set the tftp machine to some silly static address - as shown above, serverip just has to be valid and live, the ipaddr just needs to be unassigned and on the SUBNET. (Saves futzing about with static IPs)

T
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked at your log...
uboot is differrent --

yours:
U-Boot 2012.07 [Standard IPQ806X.LN,r40331] (Oct 12 2015 - 17:00:55)

CBT U-Boot ver: 1.0.12

----

mine:
U-Boot 2012.07 [Standard IPQ806X.LN,r40331] (Mar 16 2015 - 16:29:21)

CBT U-Boot ver: 1.0.9

may be where the problem is ....
-------------
made for North America use -- others made for Euro use.
But once dd-wrt is on it should work ok anyways.

Have you tried installing a late 2017 dd-wrt version?

If made for Euro use you might use the Kong 'EA8500WW-factory-to-ddwrt.img' for first install'
I have no experience with them.....

Not sure what to tell you --- may just have some bad flash blocks in it.

You sure it has right power --- should be 12v 3.5amp.
I know mine will do wierd things when I plug a very low amp power supply to it.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything I have says "China"

AFAIK they are all made in China
That doesn't mean what country it is made for use in.
Usually depends 'where' you bought it from but if came from some fly-by-night company you really never know.
reckel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
power is good - factory P/S
tried the WW as well

Can you drop the Console Log for a recent build to compare against?

T
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll run a serial log from latest Kong version and post in a while but prolly won't help you much.

You could --- at the (IPQ) # prompt send me the results of:
printenv

Although, I doubt there should be much...if any difference.

Oh I see...this guy here finally installed dd-wrt with no issues and has same uboot as you
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1139690#1139690

Have you ever done a proper reset such as from telnet/ssh:
erase nvram
reboot
reckel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Conclusion: There is a reboot race condition at work on EA8500. May have to do with UBOOT, but not likely.

Test: last night, took a last look at IPQ printenv, got disgusted (my highball was empty Cool ), sent a reset and turned out the lights.

Next morning - it was working on r36698!

futzing around, discovered that if reboot from the console, ONLY holding at IPQ for a minute, then doing a reset, will result in a usable system.

Both partitions are r36698 and working, but if rebooted from GUI or Console, the FW enters that network off state with error
udhcpc: read error: Network is down, reopening socket

continuously cycling.

Can't afford to keep the console port on this brick forever - and that seems to be the only way to get this to boot.

Also saw first hand the issue of upgrading with an old browser - won't do that again.

T
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: