VPN setup with multiple routers (not all DD-WRT)

Dillon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 15:00    Post subject: VPN setup with multiple routers (not all DD-WRT) Reply with quote
Okay, here's my current setup.

192.168.1.1 - Linksys E1000, running default firmware, not DD-WRT.
Connected directly to the internet, and broadcasting the main wireless network in my house. I have the PPTP port forwarded to my second router.

192.168.1.2 - Linksys WRT54G, older model running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/21/09) std. Running in repeater bridge mode, connected to the e1000 through wireless, broadcasting its own network and acting as an ethernet bridge. Recently, I set up a basic PPTP server on this router.

This setup works mostly, in that I can connect from an outside ip and gain access to my LAN through the WAN ip. However, I cannot use this setup for its original intent, which was to bypass an internet content filter. I can't access the internet when connected through the VPN. I've read several wiki articles, none of them seem to touch on my exact issue, and I am wondering if it is even possible to run this kind of setup.

I don't mind reflashing my router as I am aware it is running a fairly old release of the software, or switching to openvpn.

tl;dr I need to get internet access on a VPN set up on a router that is not the main router, but has the correct port forwarded to it.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsor
Dillon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Wiring the router to the main router is not really an option right now. I'll try your suggestions over the next few days and post with my results. If anyone else has anything else to add (including suggestions on other firmwares that might work with this setup) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: