RT-N16 constantly asking for admin password through web GUI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jrkoenig75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 15:55    Post subject: RT-N16 constantly asking for admin password through web GUI? Reply with quote
I'm in the process of setting up my N16 with usb printing and usb hard drive file sharing.

In that process, things aren't working the way they should according to Hoyle. So I decided to re-flash my firmware and start from scratch.

I've actually done this about 3 times now. Since the last flash back to 1.0.2.3 (ASUS' latest FW) and wiping the nvram/whatnot via the WPS button while cycling the power, then upgrading the firmware to dd-wrt.v24-15778_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16, I'm constantly being asked for the admin password...even during flash to dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_big or while simply trying to restore settings that I backed-up during a clean stage.

The only difference so far is that I'm using a different admin password than before...perhaps the old one is still stored somewhere and the router's getting confused?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...as I cannot flash FW or restore settings until this is taken care of...the process keeps aborting when the router decides to ask me for the password again!

Thanks in advance,
~Jasper
Sponsor
Jmeier
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't come across this but I'd try IE if you're using Firefox or Chrome. Also, clear your cache.
jrkoenig75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jmeier wrote:
I haven't come across this but I'd try IE if you're using Firefox or Chrome. Also, clear your cache.

I am using IE and have everything set to delete when I exit; regardless, I wiped the cache and the same thing is still happening. When I can actually hit the "apply" button at the bottom of the admin page before it asks for a password, it goes to "IE can't display page".

I can't even select enable SSH or Telnet from the GUI and apply the changes, so I can't access the back-end of the router to do things manually.

I'm wondering if I've effectively "bricked" the N16? I'll be searching ways to de-brick while waiting for more responses. Also, in the meantime, I'll try using Firefox/Chrome/Safari since it isn't working with IE.
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrkoenig75 wrote:

I'm wondering if I've effectively "bricked" the N16? I'll be searching ways to de-brick while waiting for more responses. Also, in the meantime, I'll try using Firefox/Chrome/Safari since it isn't working with IE.

Your router is not bricked, but if you try to unbrick it you might brick it. If you configured the router properly at the start, this is almost certainly a browser issue. Delete your stored passphrases in your browser and do NOT save them in dd-wrt except on the page you get when you do a hard reset.

Also, do a hard reset on your router and carefully type in the username and passphrase.
jrkoenig75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pinnochio wrote:

Your router is not bricked, but if you try to unbrick it you might brick it. If you configured the router properly at the start, this is almost certainly a browser issue. Delete your stored passphrases in your browser and do NOT save them in dd-wrt except on the page you get when you do a hard reset.

Also, do a hard reset on your router and carefully type in the username and passphrase.

Well, I certainly don't want to do any more damage than what may already have been done. Configuring the router properly at the start almost has no bearing on this issue because I've hard-reset it multiple times. I've also re-formatted the usb hard drive because I know when it gets mounted to /opt, things get stored on it through OTRW and other apps/shares/etc...so the router isn't getting any information from that source.

I really don't know why it would constantly prompt for the admin password even while it's going through the firmware upgrade process. It also asks for a password every time I place my cursor in a different field on the web GUI...and sometimes multiple times before I even finish an entry into a field as simple as the password change field.

This isn't making any sense to me at all. I've used both the "reset" button while cycling the power (which I know puts the router into recovery mode...I just don't know yet how to use that...everyone in this forum says not to use it) and the "WPS" button (which, oddly enough, resets the router and all configs made through the web GUI).

The weird thing is that I don't have any issues with the password until after it's changed (which is forced upon me after resetting the router...). What I mean by "any issues" is the fact that I can place my cursor in any field or wait any amount of time and I don't get prompted for a password. A lot of good that does, though, when I can't do anything else until I've changed the password!

In an endless loop here...any Gurus experience anything like this?

~J
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have that router. This is not a normal problem. Do not use the stored backups until you have it fixed as you might be reintroducing the problem with a backup. Remove the drives and see if the problem continues after another hard reset. Try the erase nvram command in telnet. Use a new browser as well.

Also check your power supply. Bad power supplies cause weird issues.
jrkoenig75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pinnochio wrote:
I have that router. This is not a normal problem. Do not use the stored backups until you have it fixed as you might be reintroducing the problem with a backup. Remove the drives and see if the problem continues after another hard reset. Try the erase nvram command in telnet. Use a new browser as well.

Also check your power supply. Bad power supplies cause weird issues.

It's a brand-new router; power supply is good; can't telnet because it's disabled; can't enable it because the web GUI won't let me. Couldn't even load the backup settings because the web GUI won't let me.

Although I cleared IE's cache et al, apparently it still wanted to hold onto something. I used Google Chrome to access the N16's web GUI and was able to perform all ops successfully. No idea why IE started freaking-out. Chrome works...so that's what I'll use...LoL! **Perhaps I simply needed to reboot my machine? Sometimes we overlook the simplest of answers...

OTRW, Samba35&SWAT
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had a similar problem. Turned out to be caused by having other connections (wired& wireless) to the router unplug all connections and make sure no wireless device interfer.
jwhoopi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had this password problem with an asus wl-520gu. Went into IE and removed all cookies AND PASSWORDS. This seemed to solve my problem. I'm guessing it was using an old password for another router.
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: