Which router for VPN?

jhogervorst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:53    Post subject: Which router for VPN? Reply with quote
Hello guys,

I'm investigating the options for a site-to-site vpn connection between two sites. OpenVPN using dd-wrt seems the best option.

On both sites are about five computers, connected to a Windows domain. On one site is the main server, on the other site is a secondary server to speed up the loading of the common thing (AD, some files, etc). Both sites are using a consumer internet connection (22Mbps/4Mbps on the main site and 4Mbps/0.5Mbps on the second site).

My questions are:
- Is dd-wrt with OpenVPN the right solution in this situation?
- Is the configuration possible without past dd-wrt experience? I am a technical person and I can use the command line and everything well, but I have no knowledge of dd-wrt or OpenVPN at all.
- Which router should I buy, if the above questions are answered with 'yes'?

I'm looking for a router with the following specs:
- 1Gbps ethernet ports;
- Simultaneous dual-band WiFi (b/g and n) with good coverage;
- Preferably: 1Gbps WAN port;
- Preferably: secondary WiFi network for guests (but I think that's always possible using dd-wrt?);
- Price: max. € 100 ($ 150);
- Of course: dd-wrt compatible, OpenVPN support.

The best option I found was Netgears WNDR3700, but it seemed that OpenVPN didn't work well on that one. My second thought was the Linksys WRT610N, but it has its issues too.

I hope someone could answer these questions. And if you have other thought you'd like to share, please do that Smile Especially tips about the setup of OpenVPN are welcome.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Sponsor
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like you need a DIR-825

But be aware that OpenVPN needs powerful CPU's, you won't get more than 10mbps.
jhogervorst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems nice! Will OpenVPN always work, or could there be router specific problems? I'm asking that because I haven't seen many experiences with OpenVPN on this router and I want to be sure it'll work when I but two of them Wink

Edit: just ordered two of 'em. I'll see whether it'll work Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: