Asus RT-N12 Repeater Bridge problem slow and drop connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
P4il1p
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:56    Post subject: Asus RT-N12 Repeater Bridge problem slow and drop connection Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Glad to join the community; I have tried my best to stay away from bothering others by following the instructions on wiki and using the search function on this forum; however, i can not seem to solve this issue.

I recently purchased the Asus Rt-N12 to use as a Repeater bridge. I flashed it with the recommended build 14929 and followed the instruction for RB setup; thus everything worked as it should except the download speed from connecting to the RB.

I do understand that by connecting to the RB, it will cut my throughput by half; however, since my dl speed is cap by my dsl to 6mbps, i believe it would not make a difference. But this is where the problem is because i am getting lower dl speed by almost half of what i get if I were to wirelessly connect to my primary router.

Speedtest.net
Main Ap(wireless) i get approx DL:5.10mbps
RB router(wireless) i get approx DL: range from 2mbps to 4.5mbps.
RB router(ethernet) i get approx the same as Main AP (5.10mbps)

Btw, i just got this other problem while i am writing this thread, my RB router(asus) wireless stop working as in everytime i connect to the rb wirelessly, after a few seconds, it would drop connection and connect again and drop again. I just power cycled it and it is working now.

Primary AP- Linksys Wrt54gx4 (original firmware)
RB router - Asus RT-N12 Dd-wrt mini build 14929.

RB signal quality connecting to AP is around 50 to 54%
My laptop connecting to the RB is around 80% to 90%

Both router set to G mode only and WPA(personal) Tkip security.

Any clues what might be wrong? Thanks in advance

And please let me know if any more info is needed.
Sponsor
mcrook
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tweaked your settings to see? go to wireless >> Advanced Settings

Play in there.

Try these

1) [Basic Rate] = try 2 MBPS if you have a good signal
2) if using 'N' then set [MIMO - Transmission Fixed Rate] *
3) [Transmission Fixed Rate] = set this to 5.5 *
4) [Frame Burst] = Disabled
5) [Beacon Interval] = set this to around 50 (no lower)
6) try your own thing, I mean it works, just not well.

* On 2 & 3 try small increases, or decreases

Good luck!

PS: I USE THE LATEST VERSION, AND ITS ALWAYS A GOOD CHOICE OVER OLD VERSIONS OF DD-WRT!!!!!!!!
P4il1p
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Mcrook.

I'll give it a try and keep you guys updated.

Update: I have tried the recommended setting one by one. I have concluded that by lowering the beacon level has helped me reach my desire speed the most!

The optimal setting for me would be setting Transmission rate: 24mbps and Beacon: 50.

Sorry, noob here, but what is the harm from setting beacon level too low or high? If setting beacon lower increases speed, why isn't it default at 50?

Thanks for the help Mcrook, my speed is solid stable now. I would update to the newer build but i keep seeing reviews of intermittent wireless drop which scared me a away.

Once again thank you.
mcrook
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
because its not based on speed, its based on distance. I have routers well over 2000 meters away and get great speed

what the beacon does how ever is the time it takes before the computer or router drops the wireless packets... lower to low, the router won't have time to respond to the devices... to high, and it will take too long to wait for those devices to respond, hence why you had slower speeds...

the otehr setting is a no brainer, because its your home network, distance isn't an issue, and forcing wireless devices to connect at a set speed shouldn't effect anything, however distance is shortened a bit.

Glad to help, good luck.
PrimPast
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setting the transmission to a fixed rate is a BAD idea. If the quality of the signal drops to a point where it cannot handle the rate that you have fixed, such as due to noise or other reasons, you will get NO signal. Leave it on auto so that it can deal with the appropriate transmit rate based on the signal quality.
mcrook
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
How many towers do you have that are over 30 ft tall and cover an area of 5 KM? Yeah, I didn't think so... for this guys setup, I doubt it will be an issue, and I didn't see you posting anything useful/helpful for this user, so put a sock in it, loser.

PS: if his wireless access point supports 54 MBps and you connect at 50% 24 MBps is ABOUT HALF... do the math before you post
PrimPast
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
mcrook wrote:
How many towers do you have that are over 30 ft tall and cover an area of 5 KM? Yeah, I didn't think so... for this guys setup, I doubt it will be an issue, and I didn't see you posting anything useful/helpful for this user, so put a sock in it, loser.

PS: if his wireless access point supports 54 MBps and you connect at 50% 24 MBps is ABOUT HALF... do the math before you post

You have completely misunderstood basic information about wireless. Wireless signal varies in signal quality due to a number of factors most of which are environmental. This is resolved by the router auto adjusting link rate, UNLESS you have fixed the link rate. If you set a static link rate of 5.5, like you suggested, but the wireless can support 54, THE MATH means you have dropped it down to one tenth what it could be. AND, if the link rate drops down to 1, or 2 the OP will have NO signal available at all. Which will cause a complete connection loss because you have said "5.5 or nothing".

So setting a static link rate does not allow the router to adapt to occasional environmental disruptions, or use optimum conditions. It is a Bad idea. Lowering beacon rate increases beacon interval and reduces throughput.

Using TKIP doesn't work well with 14929. This is covered in the forum announcements.

Setting up a tower might make you feel you are holier than thou, but it doesn't mean you are not an Idiot.
P4il1p
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's help, i'm really grateful.

Good thing is my speed is going as desire and i learned a lot (beacon interval). Although the speed is hitting my dsl cap speed, it does not seem to be too stable. Perhaps it might be my isp problem but it works for now.

This might be off topic, but may i ask Mcrook, what build are you using?

Btw, today my new main router came (the Asus RT-N56U) which will take over my old Wrt54gx4. I hope the new Asus will cover as much range as my old linksys as i have tried a bunch of routers (wndr3700, buffalo, other newer linksys ..) and none of them has the range of my old linksys.

keep you guys updated to see if my RB will become more stable or not.

Once again Thanks!
mcrook
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can try lowering your transmission rate a little to see if that helps, but since you have a new main, try the defaults and work your way from there. Two DD-WRT units talk much better then one non and one dd-wrt.

I am using the latest build hotspot-mini.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17084/dd-wrt.v24-17084_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_hotspot.bin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: