Linksys E3200 Here - see page 2 for test build!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
chickpea01 wrote:
Is anyone working on integrating the 5Gz driver that is being used in Tomato-Shibby into DD-WRT?

Got Tomato-Shibby (build5x-108) loaded on my two E3200s, running a 40 Mhz bridge on the 5Ghz band. Firmware seems to work quite well, and 5 Gig seems stable, just prefer DD-WRT to Tomato.

Fractal said something about working on support for 5GHz on 2700, which I think is the same radio as in 3200. The problem seems to be that it's a USB based radio and the driver is quite big. Correct me if I am wrong. In Tomato if you disable USB you loose the radio as well. (sorry to bring up tomato again). Waiting for (full) dd-wrt support as well.

Honestly, I really dislike this router: lack of front LEDs, no LEDs for wifi, usb. Not mountable on the wall (unless you get creative). The fact that 5GHz radio is USB based means that you are sharing 240 (480 half duplex) Mbit/s with 5GHz radio and the USB port. 16MB of flash really makes no difference as the largest dd-wrt build is 8MB. I wish I never bricked my E3000, it was a much better unit.

Nethear R6300 v2 - Latest Kong dd-wrt always
Linksys E3000 - Latest dd-wrt always
Asus RT-N56U - OpenWRT trunk
Sponsor
myname70
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
noisegate95 wrote:
Try N Only, not mixed. Go back to 20Mhz. Do a site survey and choose the least used between channels 1, 6 and 11. Bring the power down to 50. And place the router in an open area (at least for testing). No speakers, no tv's no phones near the router. Make sure your clients' wifi settings are set to N only as well.

Did it. Without any WiFi conections th rate is still maximum 144... with connected Android and laptop - dropped to 107 - 144 Mbps... Does your rate show higher then 144?
gizbug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed Linksys no longer updates their firmware for this e3200 v1 which I own. I would like to flash to the DD-WRT Firmware.

I see a lot of talk about 18084 and new versions, but when I go to this link ( http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2011%2F06-14-11-r17201%2Fbroadcom_K26%2F ) I only see 17201 (dd-wrt.v24-17201_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin)

Is that the file I want? Where would I find this newer firmware and more importantly, directions on flashing and optimizing the setup of it?
noisegate95
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The rate all depends on the connection between client and router. What are your speedtest results? Do one wired and one wireless. Move around and take them.

I am using a different router and firmware now, but when I had the e3200 with 18666, I swear my top rate was 144 as well. As long as your speeds and ping times are good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Do you notice that as soon a your router is rebooted, the rate is at 300, until devices connect to it? If so, I would look at the devices, not the router.

If you want to get more speed, go to the Asus RT-N66U. Using both 5 and 2.4, I am getting the same speeds as I do wired.
myname70
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
noisegate95 wrote:
The rate all depends on the connection between client and router. What are your speedtest results? Do one wired and one wireless. Move around and take them.

I am using a different router and firmware now, but when I had the e3200 with 18666, I swear my top rate was 144 as well. As long as your speeds and ping times are good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Do you notice that as soon a your router is rebooted, the rate is at 300, until devices connect to it? If so, I would look at the devices, not the router.

If you want to get more speed, go to the Asus RT-N66U. Using both 5 and 2.4, I am getting the same speeds as I do wired.

Thanks. Even after reboot the rate is max 144. The speedtest.net shows me 50MB/sec via Wifi and 90MB/sec wired for download.

Do you know some good linux based router with AC standard?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
myname70 wrote:
Thanks. Even after reboot the rate is max 144. The speedtest.net shows me 50MB/sec via Wifi and 90MB/sec wired for download.

Do you know some good linux based router with AC standard?

If you want speedtest.net to be reliable, you have to find a server very close to you. Distance matters. Preferably, you should measure the speed with the server of your own provider. Besides, use Linux, since the last versions of Flash for Windows and Mac OS give unreliable results.

If you have neighbors using the same channels, newer Broadcom drivers default to max 144 Mbps. You can't get 300 Mbps if others use the same channels.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

criminala
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
Important changes are getting committed to the public repo soon, so I will be updating my builds and merging shibby's changes for 5ghz for this and the E2500.. I will post when this is available.

Thanks again,

-Fractal

The person who was/is going to commit those important changes to the public repo died ? Embarassed
myname70
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys, I saw I have free RAM on the router. And would like to save some BIN on the flash (not on the USB stick). I have activated and JFFS2 (which gave me 900KB more free memmory), but cannot access to write any files to the root (opt, bin for example). if there is a way to do it?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
myname70 wrote:
Hi Guys, I saw I have free RAM on the router. And would like to save some BIN on the flash (not on the USB stick). I have activated and JFFS2 (which gave me 900KB more free memmory), but cannot access to write any files to the root (opt, bin for example). if there is a way to do it?

As far as I know, jffs requires at least 4 MiB free flash memory. jffs is not stored in RAM.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

bouncy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 18:56    Post subject: 5ghz - bump Reply with quote
ive seen the talk of the tomato firmware with 5ghz for the e3200. anyone working on this for ddwrt?
tuff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37    Post subject: E3200 OpenVPN performance Reply with quote
I have a Linksys E3200 that I'm using to connect to airvpn using OpenVPN. I have a speed bottleneck of about 800kb - 1MB / sec down. Upon research I find that the openvpn process is taking 80%-99% of the unit's CPU.

I was originally running build 17990 big, just tried changing to 21153 mega, with the same resulting performance and openvpn still taking up the full CPU.

Comments I've seen in VPN forums mention that many routers top out their VPN performance at 7-8 MB/sec, which is way more than I'm seeing. Since the E3200 has a relatively powerful CPU, it seems like I may be missing something.

The VPN uses the following settings:
TUN/UDP
Encryption Cipher AES-256 CBC
Hash Algorithm SHA1
nsCertType verification checked
TLS Cipher AES-256 SHA
LZO Compression Yes
NAT enabled
Tunnel MTU 1500
CA Cert, Public Client Cert, and Private Client Key

Should I be seeing better performance than 1MB/sec, or openvpn taking less of the CPU? Any help is appreciated...
p-v-n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any updates on ETA when 5GHz support will be added for E3200?
Malitiacurt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Likely never. E3200 5Ghz uses a USB wifi driver.

Tomato has specific builds for different router models; each model has a few builds which includes different features, which allows Tomato to include the driver for the E3200 builds only without taking up space for the other builds.

This doesn't work for the release model of DD-WRT. IF they included the usb wifi driver, it would only be on the trailed E3200 build.

This is cause DD-WRT is unlikely going to include the driver in the generic builds of mega/big/std/etc. just for 1 model to benefit gaining a 5Ghz radio. It would screw over everyone else who uses the Broadcom_K26 builds, since the usb wifi driver would increase the size of the builds to exceed the 4MB or 8MB flash size limits of other routers.

Because of that, you wouldn't want to flash a different build after the trailed build since the trailed build is only a mini and doesn't include the extra features mega, big, and others have. This wouldn't fit into the build/release model of DD-WRT.
p-v-n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malitiacurt wrote:
Likely never. E3200 5Ghz uses a USB wifi driver.

Tomato has specific builds for different router models; each model has a few builds which includes different features, which allows Tomato to include the driver for the E3200 builds only without taking up space for the other builds.

This doesn't work for the release model of DD-WRT. IF they included the usb wifi driver, it would only be on the trailed E3200 build.

That's sad Sad, but I understand the problem.
It is especially sad because I purchased E3200 specifically to run DD-WRT. Wiki page talks about 5GHz, but never mentions that it is not supported by DD-WRT and it was an unpleasant surprise to find that out on my own.

However, assuming that the drivers are available, is it possible to manually install/load them after flashing a generic build? If it's possible, then maybe this will be a compromise?

On a related note, what is currently the best hardware with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, as well as 1Gbit ports, which is fully supported by DD-WRT?
dkfjtulk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
the best is Asus RT-AC66U

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159637&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=495
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 29 of 32
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: