Xbox 360 Open and Strict NAT Router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Konraden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 17:42    Post subject: Xbox 360 Open and Strict NAT Router Reply with quote
I'm trying to connect 2 Xboxes to a single router with both Open NAT.

I know this question has been asked several dozen times. I've done the searches both here and through Google, and none of the suggestions have actually worked. The most common suggestion to put one xbox in the DMZ and port-forward the other one has repeatedly failed.

I'm running two Xbox 360's inside my network. Both are Gen2 Xbox Pro models, the ones using the Zephyr board and HDMI.

Router Model: Linksys WRT54G2 / GS2
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/18/10) micro-plus-ssh - build 15230M NEWD Eko

Now, everything in my network (the tow dozen computers, phones, printers, etc) works just fine. Port-forwarding is simple for them.

However, my two Xboxes will not forward correctly. Microsoft recommends 3074 being open, and whichever Xbox has that port forwarded, works just fine. However, I can't get the other to forward. It's Strict every time.

I've tried the following.

• Xbox1 and Xbox2 with dynamic IPs and uPNP -- Works.
    --one Xbox uPNPs to 3074, other other to 20579.

• Xbox1 and Xbox2 with Static IPs via Xbox setup and uPNP -- does not work

• Xbox1 and Xbox 2 with static IPs via Xbox setup and forwarded ports -- does not work. 3074 will be open, 20579 will be strict.

• Xbox1 and Xbox 2 with static IPs via DD-WRT MAC assignment and uPNP -- does not work.

• Xbox1 and Xbox 2 with static IPs via DD-WRT MAC assignment and forwarded ports -- does not work, 3074 is open, 20579 is strict.

• Xbox1 and Xbox 2 with static IP via DD-WRT, one in DMZ, one with port-forwarding -- does not work, DMZ sets to moderate.

• Xbox1 and Xbox 2 with static IPs via Xbox setup, one in DMZ, one with port-forwarding -- does not work, DMZ sets to moderate.

When the UPNP is enabled, it shows 20579 to and from the IP address. I repeat this in the port-forwarding options and it doesn't work. It only works in UPNP, and I have been strongly urged not to leave UPNP enabled. I'm planning to set up my own dedicated server pretty soon to act as a media-server, network backup, and game server for my brother and I, and the last thing I need (at least I imagine to be so) is UPNP enabled with a server in the house--especially if it's holding all of our backups.

Ideas anyone? Like I said, I know this has been asked before, but everything I've seen and tried has failed to work, and I can't see why the same settings from UPNP which works would not work when applied to Port-forwarding. Unless I'm missing something fundamental.
Sponsor
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
If UPNP works for you, use that. The security debate for upnp is highly exagrated.

Ok it's true, if you have malware on a computer it could open a port making the computer reachable for outside.

but why would malware do that?

in fact there is no reason to do so as calling back is much more easier for malware. there is also no malware known which does something with upnp.

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Konraden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am, at the moment, going with UPNP because it does work. But is there any reason why it works and no other method will, especially if I'm mimicking the settings?
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont know. I never got two XBOX360 to work both in open mode. just one open and one moderate. but that's over two years ago.

there has been a really long thread in this forum discussing this issue. maybe you find some hints there.

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: