Linksys E1200v2 client bridge mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
pelletier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 16:37    Post subject: Linksys E1200v2 client bridge mode Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I have access to a wifi access point, and using my Linksys E1200v2 (DD-WRT v24-sp2), I would like to have an ethernet access to that wifi network.

To do so, I tried to setup a client bridge as described here.

When I connect my computer using ethernet to my Linksys box with DHCP enabled, I correctly receive an IP, subnet mask and DNS server IP from the wireless network.

However, if can't ping the gateway and the DNS server given by DHCP (request timeouts), so I don't have access to the Internet.

Do you have an idea of what could have gone wrong?
Thanks!
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
the gateway of the client bridge needs to be set to the main router's lan IP address.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried that but it didn't change anything. Sad
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
a client bridge is nothing more than a wireless nic you wire clients to. One of the simplest setups there is.

You state you have dhcp enabled.. That is not part of the client bridge setup. Possibly, you want client, and not client bridge.

Decide which setup you need, reset the router and try again.

Make sure you research the build you are running as you have not stated it. V24-SP2 tells us nothing. As of late, there are many problems and maybe you found another.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using build 21676.

When I change to "client" mode (instead of "client bridge"), I can't access the router: no ping, no interface, nothing. So I assumed that this mode was not the one I needed.

I don't have DHCP enabled on my router, but it is enabled on the wifi network I'm trying to connect to.
pelletier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just updated the firmware to a newer version (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/14) mega - build 23503).

Now I still have access to the router after switching to Client mode, but the router does not get any ip from the DHCP server (and inputing static values don't work either).

Any idea?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is "the wifi network you are trying to connect to"?

If you set it up properly, and have the proper settings in both routers, it will work.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
pelletier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The wifi network I'm trying to connect to is the one we can access in the dorm. So I don't have administration access to that router.

It's an open wifi network, which redirects us to a portal to authenticate ourselves when we access any page. They have a limitation that only allows us to have one IP per account (so for example I can't have both my phone and my laptop connected to the network simultaneously).

What I'd like to do is using my router as the only client connected to their network, and have my own lan network.

Does that make sense?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
it makes sense and your setup likely wont work. do a search on wifi dorm. Commonn problem.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: