TL-WR740N: AP or repeater?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Perrazoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38    Post subject: TL-WR740N: AP or repeater? Reply with quote
Hi everybody,

I've tried to boost my wifi signal through my house using TL-WR740N but I can't. I've read all the tutorials, I've tried to configure as access point, as repeater, as repeater bridged but without success. I've installed DD-WRT r18777 (recommended by someone in spanish forum).

In this picture I explain what I want:

I already have a wifi cable modem (primary) but the signal is very poor. So I want to put TP-LINK in another location connected to primary cable modem through ethernet, and this TP-LINK boost wifi signal. SO I want to both router have the same ssid and same password in order to mobile devices, tablets, an pcs connects transparently to each router depends on their signal power.

How should I configure TP-LINK like access point or repater? IN both cases, are there corrects the tutorials? I'm doing something bad?
Sorry for my english and hoping to understand my problem. Happy New Year!

Regards,
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ap mode!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thank you Sash, first question solved.

According to AP tutorial, points 5 and 6:

Quote:
5. Open the Wireless -> Basic Settings tab
- Wireless Network Name (SSID): YourNetworkNameHere
- (Optional) Sensitivity Range: The max distance (in meters) to clients x2
- Save

6. Open the Wireless -> Wireless Security tab
Note: Security is optional, but recommended! Clients must support whatever mode you select here.
- (Recommended) Security Mode: WPA2
- (Recommended) WPA Algorithm: AES
- (Recommended) WPA Shared Key: >8 characters

- Save

Point 5, bold text: Have I set SSID like the same ssid of my primary router?

Point 6, bold text: Is not neccessary to set same Wireless secutiry like in primary router? My wish is that every mobile phone/tablet connects transparently both to primary and TP-LINK depends on the signal power.

Thanks in advance,

EDIT: I think that what i need is to get "Roam access" isn't it?
Quote:
Roaming access

If you are installing additional Access Points to cover a broader area with Wi-Fi access, it is possible to allow clients to roam freely between them. The common method is to use the same SSID and Security settings on each access point.
Use a different channel on each AP. e.g. if you are in the US and installed two access points, use channels #1 and #11. Or if three access points, then use channels #1, #6, and #11 (setting the channels at least 5 apart should help keep interference between APs to a minimum). If you have a residential gateway with wireless turned on, and just one AP, then the same applies: each gets a different channel.
When using multiple Access Points, each one should be connected by LAN to LAN uplink as described above. They can even be attached to different switches within the same organization.
Perrazoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Finally I completed the AP transformation successfully but now I've a question/issue.

I've connected a pc through LAN port to the new AP router but I have not Internet! It works very well to give WIFI but not through LAN!

Is AP configuration blocking up my LAN ports? Is any more need to do to use LAN ports after AP transformation?

Thanks,
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disable DHCP service in your new router.
Perrazoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's already done. These is necessary to get AP to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need both of your routers IP addresses before I even bother to take a guess.

Also provide the following information from your client computer:

• IP address
  • DNS Server
  • Default gateway
Perrazoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Borage thanks for your interest.

Looking up your requirements I think there is a problem with IP addresses...

First of all, I followed the "Short version" of Access Point tutorial, so I didn't change anything more than the tutorial said...

Quote:
Short Version
Do a hard reset on the second router.
If you want to connect two routers with an ethernet cable, so that all devices connected to either of them can communicate with each other, plug an ethernet cable into the LAN (Not WAN) port of each router, set the IP to the second router to the same LAN IP address as the first router PLUS ONE (eg. 192.168.1.2), disable dhcp on the second router, and set it to a different channel as the first.
If you want to connect two routers with an ethernet cable so that the clients on one router are isolated from those on the other you need to use IP table rules to do this fully. However, you can do rudimentary isolation by plugging the ethernet cable from the first router's LAN port to the second router's WAN port, set the IP of the second router to a DIFFERENT Subnet, (eg 192.168.2.1 - Plus one to third octet if using 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask) and leave dhcp enabled on the second router.

Here your data:

- Primary router IP address: 192.168.0.1
- Secondary router IP address: 192.168.0.2

- Client PC IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (I don't put because IS NOT like 192.168.0.XXX!!! Is very different (starting with 169.) I think here is the problem!!!!)
- Client PC DNS address: 255.255.0.0 (Ooopsss!! The third position is 0 instead of 255...)
- Client PC Gateway: blank!!!!

You're right asking me these data because here is the problem... so... how can i solve this???

NOTE1: Tiis client PC is connected through LAN port to secondary router.

NOTE2: All devices connected to this secondary router through WIFI they work well this good IP addresses (192.168.0.XXX) and DNS (255.255.255.0) and good gateway (192.168.0.1).

Thanks a lot
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perrazoo wrote:
very different (starting with 169.) I think here is the problem!!!!)

You are right, 169.254.X.X is not a valid ip address, it is known as APIPA. That is the IP address automatically generated by the OS when the device is unable to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.

I don't know what the problem is, maybe a bug in this dd-wrt version.
Perrazoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh!!

I've installed r18777 (Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 2012 › 03-19-12-r18777 › tplink_tl-wr740nv4) recommended by someone in spanish forum...

Anyway thanks for your time and hoping someone knows solving this issue.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: