Already half-fried WRT54GS v1. Likely to fry v1.1 too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Jurjen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:08    Post subject: Already half-fried WRT54GS v1. Likely to fry v1.1 too? Reply with quote
Hi every one,

In the past I had a whole lot of issues getting DD-WRT to flash to my WRT54GS v1.0 unit. After a lot of tries (including bricking), I gave up on the mega pack and decided to stick with the smaller version that ran stable. And with the problem that my WAN port never worked under DD-WRT (and going back to Linksys firmware, the DHCP wouldn't give any more IP addresses to wireless clients, so I was stuck choosing between 2 evils).

Anyway, now I see a cheap WRT54GS v1.1 being offered around the corner for 30$. I'm hesitating to give it another try, since the units appear to be very alike.

Is there any body that has an idea how likely it is that I'll get similar issues with the v1.1?
The only upgrade the manufacturer did was "Switched to Broadcom BCM4712 SoC and BCM5325E switch." The v1 runs on a ADMtek 6996L switch (both details according to the Wikipedia article).

Thanks a lot!

Jurjen
Sponsor
mstombs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look for a WRT54G-TM same ram/flash as GS1.1 but newer Broadcom core_rev 9 vs 7 IIRC which means more compatability with some newer K26 builds and wireless drivers (but not latest dd-wrt).

Last edited by mstombs on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:30; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:43    Post subject: Re: Already half-fried WRT54GS v1. Likely to fry v1.1 too? Reply with quote
Jurjen wrote:

The only upgrade the manufacturer did was "Switched to Broadcom BCM4712 SoC and BCM5325E switch." The v1 runs on a ADMtek 6996L switch (both details according to the Wikipedia article).

Switched from what?
The v1.0 also runs on a BCM4712 according to that wikipedia..

I'd say that v1.0 and v1.1 uses the same hardware and it was not until 2.0 that the ethernet switch ic got changed to a BCM5325E.
It is old technology anyway and not worth $30.

Last edited by LOM on Wed Aug 24, 2011 15:24; edited 1 time in total
Jurjen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
Look for a WRT54G-TM same ram/flash as GS1.1 but newer Broadcom core_rev 9 vs 7 IIRC which means more compatability with newer K26 builds etc.
We don't have T-Mobile in Canada, so I don't think I can find a TM model.

Thanks for the info though, I'll see if I can find a GS version 2/2.1/3.

/edit: I check online and today some one offers a TM! What a chance...
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
In Canada, the equivalent to a TM is an Wrt54G-RG (Rogers). It is the same hardware as the TM, but you use a slightly different set of files to flash it, I believe. Check out ebay as they come up from time to time. Also read the wiki install instructions for the RG.

Your original problems are likely due to old hardware or flashing improperly. I believe that care must be taken with the old GS units. This is explained in the peacock announcement.
mstombs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have both a GS V1.1 and TM, and I know the TM is more stable on some builds than the GS, but the 7 year old GS is still doing fine on a K24 build. Only tip on the TM I have is that the CFE replacement process missed a default nvram parameter "reset_gpio=6" which means the reset button didn't work to reset nvram in the CFE - not a problem for me as my TM dates from the days when JTAG was required to get off Linksys firmware.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
I have both a GS V1.1 and TM, and I know the TM is more stable on some builds than the GS, but the 7 year old GS is still doing fine on a K24 build. Only tip on the TM I have is that the CFE replacement process missed a default nvram parameter "reset_gpio=6" which means the reset button didn't work to reset nvram in the CFE - not a problem for me as my TM dates from the days when JTAG was required to get off Linksys firmware.

Maybe replace the cfe again??? My reset button works on my TM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Maybe replace the cfe again??? My reset button works on my TM.

I recall it did work via running firmware, but not to interrupt a reboot loop at CFE level with duff firmware or config - but I do also have serial console so could use that - and my TM currently running my own self-compiled CFE - based on Asus GPL sources - don't think Tornado ever published what he used for -TM.
Jurjen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woohoo! Got a TM, planning to pick it up pretty soon. Thanks for the tips, I'll confident about flashing the new router!
Mysticales
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own 2 of the TM models. They work WONDERS. I just changed to a wrt610N v2 now. Been debating if I should keep the 2 routers.. or sell them. They already have the mega builds, 1 has the extended ant. The other router is setup to be a bridge heh. Somehow tho, keeping them as a backup is always wise.. or if I get into a bigger house and need a bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: