TL-WR1043ND v1.8 advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
daeron82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 20:49    Post subject: TL-WR1043ND v1.8 advice Reply with quote
Hi, i need some help regarding the best DD-WRT version i should use. I know almost nothing about alternate firmware, but today i changed my internet subscription from 100Mb/s to 200Mb/s and suddenly the stock firmware didn't work for me no more.

So, i had the 3.13.15 (latest release) which was less stable wirelesswise than 3.13.12, but still i had 104Mb/s in lan and ~60Mb/s in wireless.

Since in LAN i couldn't go further with the original firmware, after browsing the forums i decided to try first the r23919, using the installation guide (hard reset, etc). My LAN speed was ok-ish, about 150Mb/s, but my wireless speed droped at about 25Mb/s. Unfortunately i saw that both speeds started to drop slightly.

I have a laptop that i sometimes use to watch 1080p movies from my desktop, so the wireless speed is important to me. That being said, after more browsing i decided to try the r21676 version. The LAN was almost perfect at 182Mb/s and the wireless was at about 35Mb/s. Then something strange happened, i had a connection timeout and after that both LAN and wireless speeds were between 6-10Mb/s, which i thought it was very odd, especially since i red that this was one of the most stable versions for my router. I switched the router off and when i turned it back on everything was ok, the speeds were those described before.

Also i don't know if this is true or not, but i believe that with the original firmware i had a better signal in my bedroom(aprox 10m/30ft) than i do now with the DD-WRT firmware

And now the question. Which stable version has the fastest wireless speed? For me the best is to have a good wireless speed and even i have tested the DD-WRT version only for a few hours, for now the original firmware has the best wireless speed and even though i have to reboot the router every other day, i am thinking of returning to the original firmware if i don't find a better version.

Also, if you could tell me (or give me the link) about the configuration of the DD-WRT software and what should i focus on i would very much appreciate it. On my original firmware i only put the SSID, i didn't have to do anything else, everything was working fine.

Thank you for taking the time of reading this and please tell me your opinion.
Sponsor
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try R25309, it was stable.
The r25974 worked too, but was changed quickly to newer version.
I use now R26081, but not sure, that it good, my internet connection sometimes slow down w/o any visible reason.
The router is TL-WR1043 ND v 1.8
And check QOS.
lowbee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
@daeron82 please share your experience with the WiFi speed on build 25974, I am interested in what speed you get with this build. I am currently on build 25309 with my 1043ND v1.9
daeron82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want to change my firmware again for now, unless it's something proved better as far as the wireless is concerned, i'm afraid that i might damage my router doing so many hard resets and constantly changing the firmware. That's why i asked if there is someone that uses another version wich gives him a better wireless speed than 35Mb/s(~ 1/10 of the router capacity which is very little if you ask me).

What wireless speed do you have with the versions you are using?

P.S. The lan works very nice with r21676, I just downloaded a torrent with a max speed of 20.94MB/s. If I could get a better wireless speed I would definitely stick with this version.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reflash router take a few minutes. I did it many times, sometimes with risk to brick it. But with tested versions over LAN cable it is very safe, IMHO.

All Wi-fi adapters has it's own chipsets, drivers, antennas and other. Do you have 300Mbps connection, or less with your laptop? 300 mbps is close to 30MB/sec of speed, because 1 byte = 8 bit (and you have to send/receive some additional info in headers of protocols). Test versions in your own case.
daeron82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will check my wireless adaptor to see if it supports 300Mbps, but i think it does. Every speed written here by me is correct, i know the difference between byte and bit. So my current wireless speed is about 30Mb/s, almost 4MB/s and my LAN is about 180Mb/s, as i stated earlier i reached aproximately 168Mb/s when downloading a torrent, i.e. 20.94MB/s. Since i had faster wireless with the original firmware (~60Mb/s) i was hoping there is someone who tested a DD-WRT version with at least the same capabilities.
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check your wireless settings in wireless tab of router settings. Is it 40MHz width, or less?
ckm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
take a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKM_zDicKaU
lowbee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
daeron82 wrote:
What wireless speed do you have with the versions you are using?

The highest WiFi speed I have seen so far on build 25309 is about 73Mb/s download
daeron82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
@B@R yes, i played with the wireless settings, 20, 40 Mhz or combined, i saw what channels my neighbours are using and i tried different ones (e.g. 6 low), but it didn't boost the wireless speed, maybe 0.5-1 Mb/s.

@ckm thanks, but i just started using DD-wrt, i don't want to switch to open-wrt until i am sure that DD-WRT doesn't work for me; also open-wrt seems a little bit more complicated, DD-WRT is easier to install and use

@lowbee thnx, i will try r25309, but for now i will leave r21676 for a few days to see how it works
B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many adaptors has only one channel and can not achive good speed. You may have 65 Mbps, 130, 150 or 300 because of abilities of your laptop, not router. If you have 300 Mbps connection and will change cannel width to 20MHz, the speed will drop down to 150 Mbps. And if your adaptor has 2 antennas(channals) and 20 MHz width you will get 150 maximum too.
Set on your router 20+20 and it will work with your wi-fi hardware on max speed.
daeron82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
i understand, but unfortunately with r21676 i don't have the 20+20 option.
Something weird just happened, i told you that yersteday, immediately after I installed r21676, LAN and wireless speeds suddenly dropped at 10Mb/s and i had to restart the router. Same thing happened just now, after only 23 hours of use. Not only the speed suddenly dropped at 10Mb/s but it continued to drop until i had 1mb/s d\l:

Can you tell me why? Is it something i did? This was supposed to be a very stable version...
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
cause its a very old build..? idk why some are all fascinated over downgrading when u have the same problems PLUS more..

update & wide ht40 will be there..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

B@R
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
daeron82 wrote:
i understand, but unfortunately with r21676 i don't have the 20+20 option.

You wrong. It may be with other name, but option of 40MHz was always.
daeron82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ B@R with r21676 i had the 40MHz and the dynamic(20/40 MHz) options, i didn't have the wide ht40
My wireless adaptor is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

tatsuya46 wrote:
cause its a very old build..? idk why some are all fascinated over downgrading when u have the same problems PLUS more..

update & wide ht40 will be there..

I don't know if you had the time to read what I have written above. I am using DD-WRT for 2 days and i don't know much about custom firmware. I am interested in a stable version that gives me very good wireless speed and good LAN speed and from what i red on this forum new isn't always better. Nevertheless i took your advice and installed r25974 and immediately after ran speedtest:

The results are dissapointing regarding LAN speed which is HALF of what i had using r21676, as stated above
My wireless d\l speed is at 19.59Mbps with about 15Mbps lower than i had with r21676 (@ B@R i switched to wide ht40 prior to testing).

So i may not now many things about DD-WRT, but i think those results speak for themself. Maybe i don't know how to configure the firmware, but i used the same settings on both builds and IMHO the speeds are higher with r21676
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: