WRT54G V6 no webGUI after flash...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:31    Post subject: WRT54G V6 no webGUI after flash... Reply with quote
So I read the procedure, followed the instructions (at least I thought I did!), and still stuck my neutered v6 router. All went well and I got everything to work as it looked like it should have, but the webGUI is AWOL after I got a message of a successful flash of dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_micro.bin. I just get a message of host unreachable when I try to ping the unit, except when it first powers up and it gives me a few lines of TTL=100 when I run a ping -t command. My power light flashes for 15 sec or so from power up (then solid), then the WLAN lights solid a few sec later. DMZ is not lit, and port lights are only on when a cable is connected. I can also see dd-wrt as an available wireless on my win7 machine, but not my XP for some reason, and neither can connect to it. FTP to 192.168.1.1 does not work either. I have had my static IP on the PC set to both 192.168.1.7 and 192.168.1.8, with my firewall off when I try to wire link to the box.

Any ideas on what I need to do? I am thinking I may need to clear NVRAM based on my searches, but making a JTAG cable and dealing with that doesn't seem much worth it as I do still have a working Dlink DIR 655 driving the network, this was just meant to help extend the signal upstairs. At this point, I'm even fine with going back to the old firmware, but am I stuck completely without JTAG?

TIA for any simple suggestions!

-CTR

Last edited by ctriopelle on Fri Aug 26, 2011 16:02; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:41    Post subject: Re: WRT45G V6 no webGUI after flash... Reply with quote
ctriopelle wrote:
I can also see dd-wrt as an available wireless on my win7 machine,

Connect to it and see what is at 192.168.1.1. If that is your router and you have a dd-wrt wireless, the only way that can happen is if the firmware flashed. Try a different browser.
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:51    Post subject: Re: WRT45G V6 no webGUI after flash... Reply with quote
Pinnochio wrote:
ctriopelle wrote:
I can also see dd-wrt as an available wireless on my win7 machine,

Connect to it and see what is at 192.168.1.1. If that is your router and you have a dd-wrt wireless, the only way that can happen is if the firmware flashed. Try a different browser.

I've tried Firefox and IE, and cleared the cashes in them, nothing. I can't connect wirelessly, it says unable to connect. I'm positive it is mine, as I live out in the sticks and my signal is excellent (it's literally right next to me). What's really odd is that neither my droid phone nor my XP machine show the signal....

Last edited by ctriopelle on Fri Aug 26, 2011 14:11; edited 1 time in total
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try reflashing the 12548 micro build, using the steps at note 11 of the peacock. You will flash during those ttl=100 responses. You might have to monkey with timing to get it right.
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually already successfully tried that too, but still no ability to connect. Are there other versions of micro that are known to work on initial flashes of this box?
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any other suggestions, or am I basically stuck without a jtag?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disable wireless in the PC when connecting via wire!
Strange things happen if you have 2 interfaces active in the same subnet and both try to connect to the router.
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only turned it on after I realized I have no wired connectivity. All my troubleshooting has been done without anything connected but the single wire and power cords...
thefirstM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have exactly the same problem with the WRT54G v6 that I just tried to flash. From the front, the router looks normal (power light not flashing, WLAN light on) but it is inaccessible by either wired or wireless. I also tried TFTP uploading the firmware during the TTL=100 pings, but nothing happened.
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
since I still have no web GUI, am I able to attempt a temporary revert using this basic method?

http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/WRT54G5_CFE/

My hope would be that I could use TFTP instead of the dd-wrt firmware update tool (I know this still functions) and go from there. Assuming I can get the old firmware version running again, I would just start over with the dd-wrt and make sure I don't accidentally mess up the instructions this time. Is this possible, or is my only real option besides JTAG (which isn't worth the cost/effort to me as this router was in my junk pile to begin with) to try the pin short and hope for the best?

CTR
thefirstM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried reverting back to the VxWorks firmware (by TFTPing the provided reversion firmware), but it did not work. The TFTP operation succeeded, but the router just sat there flashing the power light at me for 15 minutes without being accessible over HTTP, Telnet, or ping, so I powercycled it. After powercycling, the router continued to flash the power light at me, but responded to TFTPing the DD-WRT firmware. After this, it rebooted to the same state I was talking about earlier (steady power light, wlan on, but still inaccessible by any means).
thefirstM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried reverting again twice more. This time, TFTPing the reversion image causes the router to stop accepting pings for around 10 seconds, but then it starts again. The TTL is still 100 and it is still not accessible over HTTP. Attempting to TFTP anything else fails again at this point. Rebooting the router causes it to begin accepting pings (with the TTL still 100), but now it is possible to TFTP something again.

Can someone who is an expert at this help us? I am clueless.
thefirstM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I figured out why it won't work. It was because I put the !@#%^%! serial number in the CFE tool instead of the MAC address.

****!
****!

Is there any way to recover from my stupidity?
ctriopelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
so basically, you tried what I was thinking of trying, which was following the reversion sequence using tftp?

Are there any gurus in here that can definitively say if we are stuck without doing JTAG?
thefirstM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I created another thread specifically for my problem and BarryWare recommended that I use JTAG to reflash the CFE.

As for finding out if you did the same thing as me, do you have Linux computer with wireless available for you to use? If you do, run "iwlist scanning" from the console and look for the dd-wrt SSID. If the MAC listed for that SSID starts with "CDFD" then you made the same mistake I did.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: