Netgear WNDR3700 VPN question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
lonetreejim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3700 VPN question Reply with quote
I am running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std on the subject router. I have enabled the VPN server and setup a username and password. VPN settings are...

PPTP Server Enable
Broadcast support Enable
Force MPPE Encryption Enable
DNS1 8.8.8.8
DNS2 8.8.4.4
WINS1 8.8.8.8
WINS2
Server IP 192.168.2.5
Client IP(s) 192.168.2.200-205

From Windows 7 I can connect, authenticate and create the tunnel. I can browse the Internet and I can open the router GUI (192.168.2.1).

What I cannot do is see the other network devices on my LAN. Network discovery does not find the NAS and I cannot ping anything inside my LAN (except the router).

Any Ideas what I can do to get access?
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
8.8.8.8 is a DNS server and it doesn't provide Windows Name Services for your internal lan..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Internet_Name_Service

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
8.8.8.8 is a DNS server and it doesn't provide Windows Name Services for your internal lan...

Correct. DD-WRT filled that in itself. I presume from the DNS1 field.

After reading some other posts I've learned that I can leave the DNS1, DNS1 and WINS1 blank and the VPN will use the DNS's provided by the router.

I have also determined that I can type the IP address of the network device, just not it's name. For example, \\Drobo\ gives me an error message but \\192.168.2.10\ gives me the root of my Drobo share.

That's good enough for now. I may put that in my hosts file if it becomes an issue (if I can't remember all the shares IP addresses).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: