WNDR3700 weirdness, dies when connecting with laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
grimaldo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 23:35    Post subject: DD-WRT - Intel card interaction: Same problem, more clues Reply with quote
I am having what seems like the same problem. I have a Netgear WNDR3700 v1 router running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (build 17201, 06/14/11). The network dies when I connect to this device via a laptop with an Intel Wireless card.

I am connecting to the router successfully with many devices, such as an Apple Macbook Pro, 2 older Macbooks, an iPad, an iPod touch, an HP desktop, a Dell desktop, a few android phones, etc..., via both wired and wireless mediums. The network uses two routers, one WNDR3700v1 (DD-WRT firmware) and one dLink DIR-655 (stock firmware). The WNDR3700 connects to the Internet, and the DIR-655 is used as an access point connected via cable between the switches of the 2 routers.

The problem only occurs when I connect from a laptop with an Intel wireless card running Linux (gentoo) to the WNDR3700. When the same laptop/OS is connected via an atheros card it works fine. When the laptop is connected via an Intel card through the DIR-655 it works fine. When the laptop is connected via either an Intel WiFi Link 5100 or an Intel Ultimate-N 6200 to the WNDR3700 the entire network locks/dies. All devices,wireless and wired, lose connection to the network and the WNDR3700 must be rebooted in order to reconnect any device to the Internet. With the Intel cards the system connects and works for a short time, approx. 30sec-5min, then stops communicating.

So it seems to me there is an interaction problem between the Intel Cards and DD-WRT on the WNDR3700. Although it could be a linux driver issue on the client, the fact that the exact same setup works with other routers without killing them points to a problem with this DD-WRT build. At least the DD-WRT implementation should be more resilient even if the iwlagn driver is an issue. It should operate just as the DIR-655 does.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
An Intel wifi card and Linux 3.0 seems to be common denominators.

Don't blame it on dd-wrt, there has been reports in various Linux forums about this happening on routers like D-Link DAP-1522 and Linksys WRT120N, two routers for which there is no dd-wrt firmware.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Related Bug Reports Reply with quote
To summarize bug reports for Linux kernels and distributions, I am leaving them here:

[list]
Ubuntu kernel report (with possible long term fix): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/871254
Ubuntu bug report (with triage): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/875134
RedHat relates: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=708747#c10
[/list]
JamesK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I've just run into this after upgrading a laptop from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10. Came as a bit of a shock!

Router is a WNDR3700 v2 running v24-sp2 (06/14/11) std.

Thanks for the links - off to see if I can find a work-around.

James.
JamesK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, so the workaround on launchpad got things working, but with max 54Mbps:

1) Create /etc/modprobe.d/intel_11n_disable.conf with :
options iwlagn 11n_disable=1

(although when I did it I used different instructions that specified iwlagn.conf as filename)

2) sudo update-initramfs -u

3) reboot or sudo modprobe -r iwlagn && sudo modprobe iwlagn

Upgrading the kernel to 3.1.0-030100-generic seems to have things working at full speed again (after removing the the .conf file)

Regards,
James.
m1st0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 21:27    Post subject: Router Wireless Fix Script Reply with quote
Thought this might be of help to others, this script updated and fixed watches the wireless connection and restarts it in case of 2 known errors I have gathered on my router. It will not fix the crash from the N connection shown previously, but this may be of help to further modify for this issue:

Code:

# By m1st0, 2011 with input from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH
#! /bin/sh

# Or just put it in the nvram startup
#nvram set rc_startup='{The Rest of this script}'

# set up variable to track waiting times
restarted_wifi=false
# Check interface every minute
logger "Starting to check wifi status"
while sleep 50; do
  restarted_wifi=false
  # Check for the most recent message of WiFi dropping out, unsure if it is the same as the other hang below
  test_time=`date  +"%b %e %H:%M" | cut -c1-11`
  test_message=`grep "$test_time" /var/log/messages`
  test_wifi_down=`echo $test_message | fgrep ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff`
  test_beacon_issue=`echo $test_message | fgrep "Resetting; Code: 01"`
  if [ -n $test_wifi_down ];
  # If found then restart the WiFi interface
  then   logger "Wifi hang, restarting";
   ifconfig ath0 down;
        sleep 4;
        ifconfig ath0 up;
        restarted_wifi=true
        test_wifi_down=""
  # Check for the most recent message of WiFi hang, unser if it is the same as the dropping above
  elif [ -n $test_beacon_issue ];
  # If found then restart the WiFi interface
  then
   logger "Wifi becon issue, restarting";
   ifconfig ath0 down;
        sleep 4;
        ifconfig ath0 up;
        restarted_wifi=true
        test_beacon_issue=""
  fi;
  # Wait a long while before we check again since we just restarted
  if [ $restarted_wifi == "true" ]; then
        logger "Will wait 542 seconds before checking wifi again";
        sleep 542;
        restarted_wifi=false;
        logger "Will start to check wifi every 50 seconds again";
  fi
done
m1st0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 17:59    Post subject: Re: Router Wireless Fix Script Reply with quote
m1st0 wrote:
Thought this might be of help to others, this script updated and fixed watches the wireless connection and restarts it in case of 2 known errors I have gathered on my router. It will not fix the crash from the N connection shown previously, but this may be of help to further modify for this issue:

Code:

Removed . . . shown previously

Tried out the latest DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std (SVN revision 18777) on my Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H and the wireless has not dropped out for 4 days. Awaiting any dropouts to show. Some users had issues, but possibly due to the learning curve of resetting their wired/wireless connections. Maybe helpful here as well?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
r17201 is not the latest, this is: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-19-12-r18777/

Unbelievable still how no one can spend 15 minutes to change & update links on the main site..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

kmand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a changelog or feature list for 18777?
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: