Linksys/Cisco E2500 DD-WRT WORKING -Test Build Page 9

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
zopostyle
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14    Post subject: Re: Utter joke Reply with quote
Zacharybinx34 wrote:
williambraski wrote:
You really need to add links to pertinent information related to the router someone looks up. As it is, serving up outdated, buggy garbage, and no links to specific details about the device is a joke. All told, you have a pretty useless creation in that look up tool.

Also, the lookup tool shows compatibility for this device as "Yes" though I find in the forums that it is really "experimental". It is irresponsible to make such a tool available to users.

If it is the expectation that folks should shuffle through your wiki and forums for hours before using your software, it should be clearly noted when using the lookup tool. The links offered up post search only serve up a download of the garbage firmware that borked this device.

And what in the hell does this error even mean:

Information

Mistake! There was an attempt of an automatic insert of the message in a forum. Your message is not posted. Try still times who knows - can it will turn out? Still probably, that you too long wrote the message - then pass to page back, copy the text, update page, insert the copied text and press button "Send".

Did you ever find a way to un-brick your router?

I installed the E2500 DD-WRT Firmware that was on the website and it bricked my router. =/

I used TFTP and it says success, and then it quits bootlooping, but then the power light blinks forever. When I unplug it and plug it back in, back to bootlooping and the process starts all over again.

Any ideas?

Try to do the following:
Fix your IP to 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
Reset (10 sec.) wait 1 min.
Unplug
Plug and keep trying tftp with linksys original firmware till it says success

Wait 4 min. and tries to connect. If isn't, unplug and plug wait 2 min. and try again.

If you can't, try tftp the vxworkskiller the one that we use to upgrade wrt54gs before dd-wrt. You can get it from dd-wrt.com in the wrt54g v6 page...(was the procedure I used to restore mine)
And then follow the normal, access via 192.168.1.1 and then upload the 19342 version... do a 30/30/30 and be happy..
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 13:38    Post subject: Re: Utter joke Reply with quote
zopostyle wrote:

If you can't, try tftp the vxworkskiller the one that we use to upgrade wrt54gs before dd-wrt. You can get it from dd-wrt.com in the wrt54g v6 page...(was the procedure I used to restore mine)
And then follow the normal, access via 192.168.1.1 and then upload the 19342 version... do a 30/30/30 and be happy..

I would NOT recommend flashing the killer for a V5. The reason it seemed to have worked, the killer erases wholeflash (which includes nvram), and writes a cfe. The cfe is WRONG for this device. Assuming it blew out prior to writing the cfe (lets hope so), it erased nvram and that is all that is needed to recover these "bricked" 2500's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 16:11    Post subject: Re: Utter joke Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
zopostyle wrote:

I would NOT recommend flashing the killer for a V5. The reason it seemed to have worked, the killer erases wholeflash (which includes nvram), and writes a cfe. The cfe is WRONG for this device. Assuming it blew out prior to writing the cfe (lets hope so), it erased nvram and that is all that is needed to recover these "bricked" 2500's

if it overwrote the CFE you will not be able to ping 192.168.1.1 at anytime during the boot as the CFE will not have device info for that router... I am with barry, I hope it just erased flash and nvram and you can upload a new image... otherwise its jtag time, as serial console will not restore a cfe.

-Fractal
versalife
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Well, my bad :( Reply with quote
I borked my e2500 by flashing it with the bin from the router database link. It just power cycles every 8 seconds. Kind of a shock since I've had good luck with WRT54GL's, any ideas for a noob like myself?
kryptogenic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:08    Post subject: Re: Well, my bad :( Reply with quote
versalife wrote:
I borked my e2500 by flashing it with the bin from the router database link. It just power cycles every 8 seconds. Kind of a shock since I've had good luck with WRT54GL's, any ideas for a noob like myself?

I'm in the same boat, total noob to this process. I have a Linksys E2500 new out of box. I installed the DD-WRT from the site and now the router sits in a reboot cycle. I have tried reflashing the original linksys firmware several times, hard reset 30/30/30 several times. Nothing seems to keep this thing out of that reboot cycle. I do have pings to it, can receive about 10 with Linux running (TTL=64) then it reboots again. During this time, no telnet, http access though.
stayupthethetree
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to say I went from factory->18774.mini.bin->19327
Everything is working flawlessly. I originally thought I borked something when I had no 5ghz radio because I swear I read the build was out but on further inspection I was wrong. So all is well. If I can be of any assistance let me know. Remember 30/30/30 is your friend. My dog thinks Im nuts waking back and forth working on my routers.
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any movement on this router getting 5ghz support?
heegemcgee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Team,

First off, i want to thank you for the work you do. I've relied on DDWRT for years now to make a cheap bridge to the main AP from various rooms in my house.

Recently, i rolled out an upgrade to my VM lab, and needed to increase throughput. I went to the local tech store, and looked at cheap Linksys routers. I pulled up the Supported Devices page on my phone, and found the router that would work and was reasonably priced: The E2500. Got a refurb for $50.

Now, i've finally gone through to try to install it, and got stuck in the reboot loop like everyone else. Fortunately, through the power of google, i found my way to this thread. I registered for the forum to share some things with you:

1. The Supported Devices page lists "K26 build 18946" as the minimum supported firmware for this device. The "Router Database" does not provide this file, and i could not for the life of me figure out where to find this exact file.

2. There doesn't seem to be an install guide for this hardware, which there really should be considering the special attention it requires to get it functional.

My humble request: Update the route database to a) point to the correct firmware and b) have the "forum link" go to this thread. Both links simply point to the bogus firmware.

*Edit:* I was going to put up a rough draft of the install process for this router, since ANYTHING is better than nothing, but i can't figure out how to create an account. Perhaps someone's google search will lead here, and i can save them some time:
1. Download the firmware from Page 9 of this thread. It's called dd-wrt.v24-18710_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e2500.bin.
2. Set a static IP of 192.168.1.10 (or anything in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet) on your computer and connect to a LAN port on the E2500.
3. Open a browser to 192.168.1.1 (Most threads say use IE for this, i used Chromium on MacOS without issue)
4. Navigate to the Firmware Upgrade page under Administration, and upload / apply the DD-WRT firmware.
5. Reboot and enjoy!
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
heegemcgee wrote:
Team,

First off, i want to thank you for the work you do. I've relied on DDWRT for years now to make a cheap bridge to the main AP from various rooms in my house.

Recently, i rolled out an upgrade to my VM lab, and needed to increase throughput. I went to the local tech store, and looked at cheap Linksys routers. I pulled up the Supported Devices page on my phone, and found the router that would work and was reasonably priced: The E2500. Got a refurb for $50.

Now, i've finally gone through to try to install it, and got stuck in the reboot loop like everyone else. Fortunately, through the power of google, i found my way to this thread. I registered for the forum to share some things with you:

1. The Supported Devices page lists "K26 build 18946" as the minimum supported firmware for this device. The "Router Database" does not provide this file, and i could not for the life of me figure out where to find this exact file.

2. There doesn't seem to be an install guide for this hardware, which there really should be considering the special attention it requires to get it functional.

My humble request: Update the route database to a) point to the correct firmware and b) have the "forum link" go to this thread. Both links simply point to the bogus firmware.

*Edit:* I was going to put up a rough draft of the install process for this router, since ANYTHING is better than nothing, but i can't figure out how to create an account. Perhaps someone's google search will lead here, and i can save them some time:
1. Download the firmware from Page 9 of this thread. It's called dd-wrt.v24-18710_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-e2500.bin.
2. Set a static IP of 192.168.1.10 (or anything in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet) on your computer and connect to a LAN port on the E2500.
3. Open a browser to 192.168.1.1 (Most threads say use IE for this, i used Chromium on MacOS without issue)
4. Navigate to the Firmware Upgrade page under Administration, and upload / apply the DD-WRT firmware.
5. Reboot and enjoy!

The users of this forum are not the official "dev" team. They are doing this on their own, out of the goodness of their hearts, and while taking alot of abuse at the hands of angry end users who believe that donated firmware ports should come out the day they buy their router and work flawlessly.

SO that being said, we don't have the ability to update the router database ,and only limited ability to update the wiki.

AS STATED IN THE PEACOCK THREAD DO NOT GO BY THE ROUTER DATABASE.

RULE #1 ALWAYS READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM.

So your only and best resource for devices like the E2500 that aren't officially supported is threads like this. If you had read this thread before hand you wouldn't have been stuck in the bootloop.[/u]
heegemcgee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
wats6831 wrote:

The users of this forum are not the official "dev" team. They are doing this on their own, out of the goodness of their hearts, and while taking alot of abuse at the hands of angry end users who believe that donated firmware ports should come out the day they buy their router and work flawlessly.

SO that being said, we don't have the ability to update the router database ,and only limited ability to update the wiki.

AS STATED IN THE PEACOCK THREAD DO NOT GO BY THE ROUTER DATABASE.

RULE #1 ALWAYS READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM.

So your only and best resource for devices like the E2500 that aren't officially supported is threads like this. If you had read this thread before hand you wouldn't have been stuck in the bootloop.[/u]

Your tone... it's all wrong.

First of all, 90% of the content related to DD-WRT is "READ EVERYTHING EVER". I can't tell you how many of the "sticky" and "important" threads are simply made up of "READ EVERYTHING". Only 10% is related to actual activity, the rest is warning and reference to other warning. I spent 2 hours (3 episodes of Law and Order Criminal Intent) reading the various REQUIRED READING pages.

That includes the glorious and hallowed PEACOCK THREAD. I accept full responsibility for thinking the Official Router DB would be reliable. However, like I said, the Supported Devices page lists a build that appears to be unobtainable. There is no file called "K26 build 18946" in the downloads area.

My post is meant to point out that the various STATIC information pages (likely to be a users first interface with the DD-WRT site) need to be updated:
a) The Supported Devices wiki page doesn't link to a hardware specific page for this router, which i happily would have created IF there was a way to create an account on the wiki. If you do indeed have limited ability to update the wiki, this is a great job for you since i've already posted the bare minimum steps to get this router going. Had I known that this router requires *special love*, i would have purchased something else. Your point about "angry end users who believe that donated firmware ports should come out the day they buy their router and work flawlessly" is out of line - based on the information available on the Supported Devices page, there are no issues with this router.
b) The router DB needs to be updated. This thread is several months old, plenty of time to AT LEAST update the router DB to point to this thread. Those of you who are hallowed guru's surely have the ability to PM someone with more credentials to request an update. I didn't create this post to make someone feel bad about the work they do, i created this post because if *I* were a creator / maintainer, i would want to know that my documentation is getting out of date.

Taking the maybe 2.5 minutes it would require to create a hardware specific page for this device on the wiki would probably save the creators / maintainers / forum gods like yourself a LOT of time in the long run. Don't shame me for pointing out that the topmost levels of documentation are wrong - that's the duty of the community to maintain. It's unreasonable to expect users to read for 5 hours on what nominally takes 15 minutes to complete.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:12; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72005

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I put in a ticket in trac as well, a site admin has to change it in the database.... I will see if it gets updated.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/2589

-Fractal
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
heegemcgee wrote:

Your tone... it's all wrong.

First of all, 90% of the content related to DD-WRT is "READ EVERYTHING EVER". I can't tell you how many of the "sticky" and "important" threads are simply made up of "READ EVERYTHING". Only 10% is related to actual activity, the rest is warning and reference to other warning. I spent 2 hours (3 episodes of Law and Order Criminal Intent) reading the various REQUIRED READING pages.

That includes the glorious and hallowed PEACOCK THREAD. I accept full responsibility for thinking the Official Router DB would be reliable. However, like I said, the Supported Devices page lists a build that appears to be unobtainable. There is no file called "K26 build 18946" in the downloads area.

My post is meant to point out that the various STATIC information pages (likely to be a users first interface with the DD-WRT site) need to be updated:
a) The Supported Devices wiki page doesn't link to a hardware specific page for this router, which i happily would have created IF there was a way to create an account on the wiki. If you do indeed have limited ability to update the wiki, this is a great job for you since i've already posted the bare minimum steps to get this router going. Had I known that this router requires *special love*, i would have purchased something else. Your point about "angry end users who believe that donated firmware ports should come out the day they buy their router and work flawlessly" is out of line - based on the information available on the Supported Devices page, there are no issues with this router.
b) The router DB needs to be updated. This thread is several months old, plenty of time to AT LEAST update the router DB to point to this thread. Those of you who are hallowed guru's surely have the ability to PM someone with more credentials to request an update. I didn't create this post to make someone feel bad about the work they do, i created this post because if *I* were a creator / maintainer, i would want to know that my documentation is getting out of date.

Taking the maybe 2.5 minutes it would require to create a hardware specific page for this device on the wiki would probably save the creators / maintainers / forum gods like yourself a LOT of time in the long run. Don't shame me for pointing out that the topmost levels of documentation are wrong - that's the duty of the community to maintain. It's unreasonable to expect users to read for 5 hours on what nominally takes 15 minutes to complete.

What part of "this community can't update the router database" are you having trouble understanding?
kryptogenic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
stayupthethetree wrote:
Just wanted to say I went from factory->18774.mini.bin->19327
Everything is working flawlessly. I originally thought I borked something when I had no 5ghz radio because I swear I read the build was out but on further inspection I was wrong. So all is well. If I can be of any assistance let me know. Remember 30/30/30 is your friend. My dog thinks Im nuts waking back and forth working on my routers.

I'm wondering if serial ttl, clear nvram is only option. I can flash with tftp using my linux box no problem, flash never seems to take though as after tftp i can leave it all night and the power will still be flashing. I have done the 30/30/30 every time, no change.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 16 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: