Netgear WNDR3700, not possible to install DD-WRT on it :)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
hidden72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got my WNDR3700-100NAR (v1) from DailySteals as well. Finally got it upgraded to 17201 like this:

1. TFTP flash 16785 (wndr3700-factory_NA_16785.img)

Login to the web interface (192.168.1.1), make a few misc changes, save/apply.

2.) upgrade with wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin

The funny thing is, once I'm running 17201, a 30/30/30 will soft-brick my router. I have to reboot into recovery mode, push the Netgear firmware back onto the box, and start at step #1 again.
Sponsor
cyberblue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
hidden72 wrote:
Got my WNDR3700-100NAR (v1) from DailySteals as well. Finally got it upgraded to 17201 like this:

Login to the web interface (192.168.1.1), make a few misc changes, save/apply.

2.) upgrade with wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin

The funny thing is, once I'm running 17201, a 30/30/30 will soft-brick my router. I have to reboot into recovery mode, push the Netgear firmware back onto the box, and start at step #1 again.

tftp r16785 img actually works, what I had before was r16994 and it gave me boot-loops. Thanks for the tip!
Valkyrie743
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got a mini brink once while doing the 30/30/30 after 17201 web flash upgrade. My finger slipped off my paper clip so I let off of the reset switch by mistake. Had to tftp back to 16785 and upgrade again then do the 30/30/30 without messing up holding down the reset button.

Right now I'm kinda not sure If my wireless signal is right after flashing. For 2.4ghz band I have to set the channel width to 40hz because one laptop has a b/g card and for some reason, if I set the router to n only and the channel width to 40mz the laptop works? I guess I could set it to n/g and have it set to 20 MHz but I want the full n speeds and if it's set to n/g mixed I think it limits the n bandwidth.

I set the chains back to 1+2 for Both, and 23dB for 2.4Ghz while on 40Hz

Will try 27dB tx power while set to n/g and 20Mhz and see if it helps
QuadraQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:46    Post subject: Re: 16785 to 17201 didn't work right on mine... Reply with quote
kenyee wrote:
I got a WNDR3700v1 as most folks probably did from the DailySteals deal.

Same symptoms as everyone else prompted me to find this thread...flashing the 6/14/11 build via the netgear web UI (1.0.4 or 1.0.16 which is the latest doesn't matter) or even flashing it via tftp w/ and w/o the 30-30-30 before/after reset flat out doesn't work. It goes into an infinite reboot afterwards. To fix the infinite reboot, you can install the latest 1.0.16 firmware from Netgear's site via the tftp recovery mode. I was feeling like a retard until I found this thread because I thought I followed all the directions perfectly (and this is the 4th router I've tried putting DDWRT on and none of them have given me this much trouble).

So I got 16785 on by installing via the 1.0.16 Netgear UI. However, when I go into the web UI to reset to defaults, the web page goes to apply.cgi and doesn't display anything. I changed a few things to confirm that this did zippo for the default settings. I then reset it by holding the reset button down until the leftmost green led went to yellow and it definitely reset.

Then I uploaded the webflash version of 17201.bin...even renamed it to 17201.bin to see if I'm hitting a filename issue...the upload gets a "The connection was reset" error in firefox (confirmed using firebug...it dies after 15ms during the POST).

Switched to MSIE (was using Firefox 6.0). File seemed to upload..claimed it was rebooting and it got stuck w/ the leftmost light blinking green. Power cycled it w/ the button....leftmost light still blinking green (I think some thread mentioned this means the flash is corrupted).

The fact that you guys need the 16785/17201 workaround means there's a bug in 17201 Wink

Thinking of trying Gargoyle (openwrt based) at this point unless anyone has any other suggestions...hate the netgear GUI... Razz

I too bought a refurbished WNDR3700 from DailySteals.com and experienced exactly what you describe above. However after the unsuccessful flash from the 16785 build to the 17201 build (following the instructions in this thread), I decided to try again. I reset the router to the 16785 build using TFTP again, and re-downloaded the 17201 build and immediately tried the upgrade again (using IE of course). The second time everything went off without a hitch.

You might want to try again, sometimes a bad flash can happen, or even a bad download! Now it's up and running and seems to be good. I'll have to do some more testing to really see, but so far it's OK.

(Funny thing about the DailySteals deal - when it finally arrived, it picked it up from the box and heard a clunk. Turned it around in my hand and kept hearing it. Dreading a return after waiting so long for it, I decided instead to open it up using the guide on iFixIt.com. Turns out the metal shield cover for the microwave circuits, had fallen off. Everything else looked OK, so I put it back on, and put the router back together, and now it seems to be working just fine.)
kenyee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, I did try multiple times doing the 17201 upgrade...did that blinking LED thing the same way (I did think the flash got corrupted, so I downloaded all the firmware again for the retry).

I did get Gargoyle working and found a workaround for the ssid not being allowed to have apostrophes (you have to edit the config file by hand because it's writing text values to it in single quotes which is a pretty dumb thing to do)-: It's still crude compared to DDWRT. Not even GUI support for TKIP+AES mode...you have to do a manual edit for that too. Just seems like the GUI is a quick way to do a simple OpenWRT config and then you have to tweak text files by hand...
Irrational86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
sumolx wrote:
These are the steps I took to getting 17201 installed in my router.

2. Reset to Factory Defaults.
3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.

I can confirm that this worked perfectly!

Netgear WNDR3700v1 running DD-WRT Build 17201.

To those new to this thread, follow the TFTP steps here, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash

Thanks everyone =)
kuya1284
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Irrational86 wrote:
sumolx wrote:
These are the steps I took to getting 17201 installed in my router.

2. Reset to Factory Defaults.
3. Then upgrade with (wndr3700-webflash_17201.bin) and make sure reset to factory defaults is NOT selected.

I can confirm that this worked perfectly!

Netgear WNDR3700v1 running DD-WRT Build 17201.

To those new to this thread, follow the TFTP steps here, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_flash

Thanks everyone =)

I'm glad to hear that everything worked for you. I'm about to perform the same steps; however, I'm curious if you did the 30/30/30 after flashing to 17201? I ask because a previous poster stated that after performing the 30/30/30 after Step #3, he soft-bricked his router and had to repeat all the steps. I also read in the wiki that the 30/30/30 isn't completely necessary.

Thanks in advance!
kuya1284
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I was able to update to 17201 successfully. It took me 3 attempts. Here is the log of steps I performed.

Attempt #1.

1. Manually set my IP to 192.168.1.2 and flashed to r16785 using tftp as outlined in http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802&highlight=stock+wndr+3700

2. After the successful flash, I pointed my browser to 192.168.1.1, changed the default username and password (I couldn't proceed without doing so), and reset the settings to Factory defaults, as previously outlined in this thread by sumolx and Piccirello.

3. I then used the UI to perform the Firmware Upgrade to 17201. The UI indicated that the upgrade was successful; however, I noticed the my Power LED was a solid amber.

4. I then proceeded to perform the Triple 30 reset. Fail!

Attempt #2

1. Repeated Steps 1 and 2 above.

2. Attempted to use tftp instead to flash to 17201. My router went into the power cycle loop. Fail!

Attempt #3

Repeated Steps 1 through 3 again from Attempt #1. The only difference was that after changing the default username and password, I DID NOT perform a Factory Reset as I assumed that everything was already the factory settings from the flashed image. Once I used the UI to upgrade to 17201 and the router rebooted, everything worked. I DID NOT perform the Triple 30 Reset.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and how they got their router's working with this revision!
travanx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
kuya1284: I tried those steps and still can't get onto 17201. I can get 16785 working though. I tried both the UI and tftp for 17201 and it just won't stick for some reason. Thinking of resetting the router completely and trying the steps all over again. Anyone else not able or able to get these steps to work??? I am on a v1.

I am about ready to give up on this and for something different.
kuya1284
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
travanx wrote:
kuya1284: I tried those steps and still can't get onto 17201. I can get 16785 working though. I tried both the UI and tftp for 17201 and it just won't stick for some reason. Thinking of resetting the router completely and trying the steps all over again. Anyone else not able or able to get these steps to work??? I am on a v1.

I am about ready to give up on this and for something different.

Can you explain what happened when you attempted using the Firmware Upgrade UI? Do you see the message indicating that the upgrade was successful? What lights on the router are lit at this point? You shouldn't have to wait more than 2 minutes after the point that the upgrade succeeds till you see a solid green Power, your WiFi, and LAN leds lit up.
travanx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't write down what was going on, but I tried many different ways and it just would not update 17201.

After looking for more info, I just tftp'd 17461 though and guess what, it worked without any trouble or any weird steps!

Look for v1 files near the bottom of this thread for anyone else frustrated with this router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142862&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

I was about to order a new different model tonight and just be done with this hassle, glad I found something that worked.
kuya1284
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
travanx wrote:
I didn't write down what was going on, but I tried many different ways and it just would not update 17201.

After looking for more info, I just tftp'd 17461 though and guess what, it worked without any trouble or any weird steps!

Look for v1 files near the bottom of this thread for anyone else frustrated with this router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142862&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

I was about to order a new different model tonight and just be done with this hassle, glad I found something that worked.

I'm glad that build worked for you. Just from reading that thread, it sounds like a highly experimental build. If you run into problems, you may want to just revert back to using r16785 until something slightly more stable gets released. Just keep playing with what you have for now I guess. Wink
Nickman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just ordered one of these for my new home.
Did anyone try to install the Pre SP2 (13064) build yet?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nickman wrote:

Good luck with installing a dd-wrt build that was released while the 3700 was still on the drawing board.

Spend some time reading in the forum and in the dd-wrt wiki while waiting for the router to arrive..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Nickman wrote:

Good luck with installing a dd-wrt build that was released while the 3700 was still on the drawing board.

Spend some time reading in the forum and in the dd-wrt wiki while waiting for the router to arrive..

Oooh, I just noticed that I got the numbers all wrong Very Happy. I thought the PreSP2 build was newer, my mistake!

I'll go with the hints given in this thread to get it up and running with dd-wrt Wink.

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: