Link speed on lan ports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48    Post subject: Link speed on lan ports Reply with quote
I have tried searching, but obviously im not good enough at it, cos i cant seem to find any reason why devices connected to the lan ports on my DIR600 dont get more than 10-11Mbps speed.

My setup are a WRT320N main router connected to my DSL, and a DIR600 wirelessly connected as a client to that (in the livingroom). Link seem to be 65Mbps..

This is cos i did not want to pull cables all through my kitchen and bedroom.. Smile

So.. what i do is telnet to the router and do wget://fileonmywebserver -O /dev/null. I get around 25-30Mps transfer. That is oki i guess for such a link.. Now if i do the same on my dreambox connected to a lan port on this router i get only 10-11Mbps. Same if i try to stream any HD content on my PS3 also connected to a lan port. (I know the PS3 has wifi.. but its beside the point..)

Now.. if i do the wget thing on both the router AND the dreambox, the transfer is tipping around 30-34Mbps out from my WRT320N.. But the "cap" on the dreambox never exeed 10-11Mbps.

This would lead me to believe it is actually connected at 10Mbps from the lan port.. aswell as the PS3.. Why is that?

How can i verify the link speed on the physical port on the DIR300?

Btw. DIR300 runs DD-WRT build 16994, and the WRT320N runs 16454.

Any hints?

C
Sponsor
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noone has any ideas why i cant seem to get more than 10Mbps out of my lan ports?

Btw, i also tested to set the link speed on my PS3 manually to 100Mbps.. No effect from that.

Could it be some sort of limit due to the router running in "wifi client mode" vs. as a "normal" adsl router?

C
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting.. I just did the wget http://myserver/Test.zip -O /dev/null on my main router (WRT 320N running 16454) and got the same result.. 10Mbps

My server however is using GB network card.. When i transfer files <-> my computer wich is also using GB network, i get around 550-650Mbps (Guess it depends on disk speed at times, as i dont have a SSD disk)

Why would i be able to transfer files from lan to lan port at those speeds, where lan -> router is limited to 10Mbps? Hardware unable to write to /dev/null at greater speeds?

Still would not explain why i cant transfer more than 10Mbps in my other scenario tho..

Just to remind ppl about my setup:

PS3 -> 100Mbps Lan port 1 (DIR600) -> Wifi client -> WRT320N -> 1Gbps lan port -> Server

PS. If i connect the PS3 via cable directly to my WRT320N GB port (PS3 got GB port), i get whatever bandwidth i need Smile

C
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
No ideas or experiences about this?
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im still struggling with understanding this.. i have attached a screenshot of this problem..

As you can see, the highest peak is when i telnet directly to the DIR600 and do wget http://myserver/Test.zip -O /dev/null

The lowest peak is when i connect my computer by cable to one of the lan ports on the DIR600 and do the exact same command locally on the computer (Running linux). I have also verified that the linux computer IS connected at 100Mbps (ethtool eth0 | grep -i speed gives Speed : 100Mb/s)

Please.. shed SOME light to this.. This is now not "only" limited to PS3 and Dreambox (wich many of you might not have), but also a plain regular computer..

C
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
182 views.. (granted i prolly done 10 of them myself)..

Still no suggestions? Is it a cpu problem? Its set up as a router between 2 lan segments..

DIR600:
Wan ip (the wifi client) : 192.168.0.150
Lan : 192.168.1.x/24
Static route: 192.168.0.x/24 - gw: 192.168.0.1

Main router (WRT320N) : 192.168.0.1
Lan: 192.168.0.x/24
Static route: 192.168.1.x/24 - gw: 192.168.0.150

Could it be as simple as the router not being powerful enough to route packets between 2 subnets like this? Reason i did this is that its kinda important for me to be able to connect to the DLNA server on my primary lan (192.168.0.x) from the PS3. Im also using igmprt to broadcast packets from my main network to the 192.168.1.x segment. This works pretty well tho, xept for the speed ofc.

I have tried 4 different firmwares and the howto's posted on this forum to get this router up and running as a repeater bridge, but i cant seem to get it to connect at all when i try... Client connects just fine tho.

Is there other solutions? Would igmprt broadcast multicast/igmp packets if i just set it up as a gateway like i would if it was connected directly to my adsl modem?

C
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well.. after much tweakage, i finally got the "Repeater Bridge" mode to work!! (Yay!!)

This really works very well tbh.. Multicast and everything seems smooth (well.. initial testing atleast), and the best of all:

Lan speeds are whatever throughput the wifi manages it seems!

Not sure what i might expect of speeds through the kitchen/refridgerator/stove and whatnot to the livingroom tho, but i seem to get around 30Mbit'ish..

The only "gripe" i have atm, is that i cant select 40MHz for 130Mbit 802.11n speeds.. This has been commented from other ppl on the forums before tho, so not sure why.. I can tweak/twiddle around by selecting AP mode, setting it up, and switching to bridge, hitting save and apply settings from a different "window".. but it does not seem as the bandwidth actually improves (Reads 130Mbit on the wifi status page, but the throughput is roughly the same).

Anyway, +/- 30'ish Mbps seems to be enough to stream 720p.. and that was what i was set out to achieve.. atleast for now Razz

Hence.. case is closed.. as it seems it was the client mode -> router setup that made the lan port limitation.. (Perhaps not enough cpu power?)

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: