Client bridge mode finally works on my dir-615 e3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
microben
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 13:21    Post subject: Client bridge mode finally works on my dir-615 e3 Reply with quote
Just registered at this forum and posted this topic. So if anyone runs into the same issue as I did, you can try 14896 build.

Client bridge never worked on my dir-615 e3 (build 15778 ), After spent countless hours, I pulled out my Dir-615 c1 router (build 14896), Surprisingly, this one worked out of box.

So I reverted back to build 14896 for my dir-615 e3. all worked like a charm. Thanks DD-wrt.

Other info:

Latest build 17201 for dir-615 e3 didn't work either.
My primary router is Asus 520gu. set as wpa2 personal using AES, b and g mixed.

If you are struggling with the client bridge mode with your dir 615 e3. please try 14896 build.Good luck.
Sponsor
Static2600
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46    Post subject: Same result here! Reply with quote
Thank you for posting this info. I also spent about 3 hours trying to get a DIR-615 E3 working in client bridge mode. I was also using build 15778.
I reverted it to 14896 and it instantly started working.
Prior to reverting the firmware it would not pass any traffic through the bridge. The client bridge router was able to see and connect to the wireless network of the primary router, but that was it.
It appears to be a bug in the 15778 firmware.
Thanks!
lupin3rd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd like to nominate this for a Sticky. Or at least update the Wiki section for this router to indicate this is the recommended build for Client Bridge mode. Trying to STFW doesn't clearly land on this post, therefore I'm voting to have it as a Sticky in the Atheros forum.
buchanan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this should be the recommended build for the DIR-615.

I had timeouts and disconnections with my D2 router until I tried 14896 - pages would intermittently load, or load with missing images.

Tried 15778 first and then 17201.
ClayDavis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
can you simply use the web interface to flash the firmware with the older release? or do you need to reset all dd-wrt settings to default, then apply old firmware?
n8dgr84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the client bridge work for N speeds or just G?

I would like to upgrade from WRT54GL to these DIR-615 (802.11N) in my point to point network using DIR-655 as the base.
tico
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 0:23    Post subject: Re: Client bridge mode finally works on my dir-615 e3 Reply with quote
microben wrote:
Just registered at this forum and posted this topic. So if anyone runs into the same issue as I did, you can try 14896 build.

Client bridge never worked on my dir-615 e3 (build 15778 ), After spent countless hours, I pulled out my Dir-615 c1 router (build 14896), Surprisingly, this one worked out of box.

So I reverted back to build 14896 for my dir-615 e3. all worked like a charm. Thanks DD-wrt.

Other info:

Latest build 17201 for dir-615 e3 didn't work either.
My primary router is Asus 520gu. set as wpa2 personal using AES, b and g mixed.

If you are struggling with the client bridge mode with your dir 615 e3. please try 14896 build.Good luck.

microben, I've just had basically the exact same experience as you.

Just finished installing DD-WRT on my D-Link DIR-615 E3 (firmware code: AP99-AR7240-RT-091105-01 for those too lazy to hexdump D-Link's official firmware) using 15778 as recommended in the wiki+database. Everything else worked fine except for client bridge (which was labelled "client bridge (routed)" for some reason.

I confirmed through telnet that the ath0 interface wasn't being added to the br0 bridge. Also, it appears that manually adding other [sub-]interfaces to the bridge using the web GUI doesn't work other, so it's not just wireless that's affected.

I tried manually adding it through telnet, but I couldn't ping *through* the router to anything on the other side of the wireless, though the router itself could ping anything on either side. So it looks like it may be driver related as well, not just GUI tool problems.

As you suggested, reflashed with 14896, and everything works perfectly now (so far).

For what it's worth, I'm running the same config on a Netgear WGR614 v8 running -mini 14929, as well as an Airlink-101 AR430W running -std 13064 all joined to the same AP with no problems.

+1 for voting this to be sticky'ed and added to the wiki/db.
McKracken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 0:48    Post subject: Re: Client bridge mode finally works on my dir-615 e3 Reply with quote
I've had nearly the same experience. Following the "New Wiki Material-Client Bridge" with build 15778 was not successful, and try as I might I could not get it to work.

Switched to 14896 and the wiki worked nearly perfectly. My remaining hang up is the DHCP server of the primary router receives the request and reserves a DHCP lease but it is not getting passed back to the client behind the wireless bridge. But if I then set the IP (as reserved on the primary AP), subnet, and gateway manually (primary AP) on the client behind the wireless bridge it goes online but still can't access shares from one win7 machine to another across the bridge.

Setup is a DIR-655 as the primary AP running D-Link FW, WP2 only TKIP+AES mixed GN. And the secondary is the DIR-615 E3 now running ddwrt 14896.

+1 that this should be a sticky or update the client bridge wiki indicating problems with 15778.
Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just registered so I could post about this same exact stupid problem as well with my DIR-615 E3.

Only problem I have now is that I can't seem to downgrade to the dd-wrt 14896 version everyone says seems to make wifi repeating work. I've added the code into the end of dd-wrt firmware (AP99-AR7240-RT-091105-01) and it keeps saying the upgrade fails. Firefox and Chrome. Perhaps it might be because I'm running ubuntu and using ghex to edit the file? I doubt it.

Can someone point out to me what I'm doing wrong?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Swashy wrote:
Just registered so I could post about this same exact stupid problem as well with my DIR-615 E3.

Only problem I have now is that I can't seem to downgrade to the dd-wrt 14896 version everyone says seems to make wifi repeating work. I've added the code into the end of dd-wrt firmware (AP99-AR7240-RT-091105-01) and it keeps saying the upgrade fails. Firefox and Chrome. Perhaps it might be because I'm running ubuntu and using ghex to edit the file? I doubt it.

Can someone point out to me what I'm doing wrong?

Which exact file are you using? If you already have dd-wrt on there, upgrading or downgrading shouldn't be a problem.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

Which exact file are you using? If you already have dd-wrt on there, upgrading or downgrading shouldn't be a problem.

I know right?

On the http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database I've downloaded the "dir615e1-firmware.bin" for DIR-615 e3 for the 14896 build. Currently I have the 15778 build and I performed a hard reset before attempting to upload it as well. The upgrade still fails though.

edit: I of course am also using a hard link.

Last edited by Swashy on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:04; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hrm, have you tried adding the loopback code?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Hrm, have you tried adding the loopback code?

Sorry? What is this? -_-*
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adding this into your commands...

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Save Firewall, then reboot, i ask because it seems that since the loopback function was removed from the firewall, these client bridge problems began, which is why it was removed in the first place, because WDS became non-working, once they removed the loopback, WDS supposedly worked, but other modes seemed to suffer. As far as downgrading goes, i have no idea, i would ask, have you tried to flash the build without hex editing it first?

Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Adding this into your commands...

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Save Firewall, then reboot, i ask because it seems that since the loopback function was removed from the firewall, these client bridge problems began, which is why it was removed in the first place, because WDS became non-working, once they removed the loopback, WDS supposedly worked, but other modes seemed to suffer.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what any of this means. I'm assuming I would insert this code to somewhere within the firewall tab of dd-wrt..

buddee wrote:

As far as downgrading goes, i have no idea, i would ask, have you tried to flash the build without hex editing it first?

Wouldn't this risk me bricking my router?

edit:

went ahead and did it and it worked, for some reason. Thanks!
Now only to figure out how the fuck to wirelessly repeat.....

Last edited by Swashy on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:33; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: