ddwrt dns server and caching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Chrysalis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 17:25    Post subject: ddwrt dns server and caching Reply with quote
I was using my router running ddwrt as my local dns server and is fast at dns, but I altely discovered the caching is too agressive.

To me there is 3 fundamental issues and I am curious if there is good workarounds, configuration for them.

1 - The dns records get cached for a undetermined amount of time that is much higher than ttl of the dns record. Lately had issues with bad dns lookup.
2 - it caches negative dns lookups.
3 - I couldnt find a way to adjust the caching behaviour, eg. use the router as a dns server but have no local caching enabled on it.
Sponsor
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the Services tab, under Additional DNSMasq Options, you can set these 2 options:

cache-size=0
no-negcache

From the DNSMasq man page:

Cache-size
Set the size of dnsmasq's cache. The default is 150 names. Setting the cache size to zero disables caching.

no-negcache
Disable negative caching. Negative caching allows dnsmasq to remember "no such domain" answers from upstream nameservers and answer identical queries without forwarding them again.

Got OpenDNS?
Chrysalis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
amny thanks, exactly what I looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: