Asus RT-N10 rev B1 support/database update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
cTnko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 22:00    Post subject: Asus RT-N10 rev B1 support/database update Reply with quote
Hi guys, i started a new thread because the old thread
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64725&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

is locked and also because this is a new revision which is based on ralink chipset (not broadcom which was used in v1)

from info on net/forums i was able to flash RT-N10+ B1 firmware (so far it runs very decent) only "issue" that i could see so far might be that it shows 32.0 MB and this model should only have 16mb (well this is probably because of the n10+ firmware)

Code:
Total Available 28.9 MB / 32.0 MB
Free 13.4 MB / 28.9 MB
Used 15.5 MB / 28.9 MB
Buffers 1.6 MB / 15.5 MB
Cached 5.4 MB / 15.5 MB
Active 1.5 MB / 15.5 MB
Inactive 0.6 MB / 15.5 MB

incorrect total memory could probably cause some problems in the long run ? i am not sure (as the "used" memory info never goes over 16mb, also cpu clock might differ a little from the N10+ model

but i think the routers database should be updated (to have this model with proper revision number) because the broadcom firmware would probably brick this device)

i only have this router for 1 day, so full warranty, but if its necessary i could take it apart and post pictures of the chipset/memory modules so firmware could display proper values?
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure it is an RT-N10 B1 and not an RT-N10U ?

Has it got a USB port?
What is the FCC ID on the router label?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, its definitely an RT-N10 B1, it doesn't have an usb port, and the FCC ID is MSQRTN10B

what i find odd is that the stock asus firmware that it came with was 2.0.2.1 (and i cant find such high version anywhere on the asus website)
also when i check the "local" europe/czech asus website they have "registered" only 2 models (RT-N10 and RT-N10 ver B - where picture of the router has RT-N10+ on it) and on the asus.com there are only RT-N10 and RT-N10+ models listed

So i am not even sure what the exact model of my router, sticker on a front of the router is RT-N10 but, it has ralink cpu inside

I am running DD-WRT firmware for RT-N10+ for few days now (no problems so far)
on the dd-wrt status page it displays
CPU Model Ralink SoC
CPU Clock320 MHz

and the ram info i posted above, ill be glad for any info you can give me
dabyd64
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 21:51    Post subject: Its is 32MB Reply with quote
I bought a RT-N10+ B1 last week from ebay ($30 free shipping) and came from Taiwan, I thought that luckily it could be one of these with 128MB ...but didn't. I opened it and showed a m12l2561616a ram chip...it has 256Mbit, 32MBytes then.
Just to tell that this router really has that memory and it's not a DD-WRT error.
However, repeater, repeater bridge and client modes didn't work any way, I have to search more info about what builds are broken and what doesn't.
Regards
Rocozaur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello there.

I also am the new owner of this router[came free with a laptop, can't find anything wrong with that]

I can confirm it has Ralink and 32Mb of Ram. But with it, comes a few problems:
1.The original firmware, although stable, and nice looking, is Laggy as hell. Applying a simple setting for Static IP or Pppoe will make me wait for like 2 minutes until the 100% complete message appears, and then it hangs there. Happens with the latest Asus firmware also.
1b.The "safety" feature is somewhat annoying. There cannot be 2 people accessing the router menu at the same time.
2.It looses a lot of speed on wireless. Around 10-15Mbs compared to being directly wired to cable.

So, I ditched the Asus firmware, and installed dd-wrt[worked directly from the firmware upgrade menu, no need for recovery mode etc]. Conclusions so far:
a)More stable and snappy. Settings are applied immediately.
b)TX Rate cannot go above 72Mbps.
c)Real transfer rate, has somewhat of a strange behavior. If I plug it into another router, linked to the ISP, it can go to 55Mbps. If I directly connect it to the ISP, it does not go over 35-40Mbps.

Since this is a 150Mbps router, while linked to a 100Mbps ISP, I would believe that the wireless transfer rate should be as close to the 100 Mbps number. I will try in a few weeks with another ISP, and see if the problem persists. If yes, then it is highly possible this chip, cannot do more than 50-55Mbps on wireless, which is a bit of a bummer, since that is wireless G speed. Sad
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a single stream 802.11N radio so its connection speed is maxed at 150Mbps.
Transfer speed for a single client is usually 40-50% of the connection speed because the radio pauses every now and then waiting for response from the client.
With multiple clients the combined transfer speed can reach around 70-75% of the connection speed.
If you want 100Mbps then you'll have to get a router with a dual stream radio, they have 300MBps as max connection speed.
The RT-N10B is the lowest performing and the cheapest of all Asus routers, you get what you pay for and you got it free..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx for the tip Smile
So, guess I have to be glad with the speeds it has.
And also, if anyone wants to install dd-wrt on this Asus, use build 16785. Build 17201 was very unstable with the router Smile
paul1149
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finally made the switch to dd-wrt. I used the Recovery method. It worked perfectly, though I thought it had failed because of a long reboot time.

Currently I'm running on the crossover OS. The initial RT-N10+ page here said that V24 preSP2 (beta) build 16785 supports the router, but where do I get this? Or is it ok to continue to run on the crossover version? Both wired and wireless WPA2 seem to be working well, but I seem to have lost the ability to set multiple SSIDs.

The latest Asus firmware is 2.0.2.8. It is on the Web, listed under Vista x86 anyway. In fact, it was there months ago, but then was evidently taken down and now is back up.
paul1149
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I get it. The supported version is the .bin file on the same router page.

I've installed it and it seems fine at first check. Loading speeds seem faster than with the Asus firmware? The Asusware was very nicely designed, but buggy and insufferably slow on simple tasks such as refreshing the client list. Kudos to the designer, but really, the hardware deserves better than that firmware.
Rocozaur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again,
Since the newest 17990 build has solved many issues regarding stability and speed, would it be a recommended one for this router also?
mazey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rocozaur wrote:
Hello again,
Since the newest 17990 build has solved many issues regarding stability and speed, would it be a recommended one for this router also?

i updated to 17990 after running 16785 for like 6 months now. it seems fine everything is working for me it looks exactly the same and feels the same, im not sure whats actually been fixed maybe i should look heh anyway it is working fine for me.
Rocozaur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sad to inform you that my Asus RT-N10[B1] is dying on me.

Symptoms:
Whatever password and method of encryption I use, it will fail to connect to wireless. If I keep wireless as an unsecured network, it does work. MAC Filter works. But if I put a password on it, it's dead. LAN works fine.

And no.2: During Internet Speed test it has a lot of drops on testing download and upload speed. I checked the status on Sys-Info:Wireless, and on the Recieving end it is constantly reporting errors.

These symptoms persist with the releases 16785 which was on the router for the past few weeks, the upgraded 17990, and all the ASUS original firmware versions[2.0.1.6, 2.0.2.1 and 2.0.2.8]. I guess that it is clearly a hardware related issue Smile

P.S. Is it possible that the torrent download on wireless which put the Ralink CPU on 100% stress is the main culprit for it's sudden failure?
Hanzzzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
paul1149 wrote:
I just finally made the switch to dd-wrt. I used the Recovery method. It worked perfectly, though I thought it had failed because of a long reboot time.

Currently I'm running on the crossover OS. The initial RT-N10+ page here said that V24 preSP2 (beta) build 16785 supports the router, but where do I get this? Or is it ok to continue to run on the crossover version? Both wired and wireless WPA2 seem to be working well, but I seem to have lost the ability to set multiple SSIDs.

The latest Asus firmware is 2.0.2.8. It is on the Web, listed under Vista x86 anyway. In fact, it was there months ago, but then was evidently taken down and now is back up.

Hi,

Does it still not support Multiple SSIDs? Or is that probelem fixed?
czechrite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rocozaur wrote:
Hello again,

Could this build be recommended for the RT-N10U?

I'm having a horrible time with stability using the build that the router-database recommended. Any advice appreciated.

C

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
czechrite wrote:

Could this build be recommended for the RT-N10U?

RT-N10U is a broadcom based HW, RT-N10(B1) is a ralink. It's pretty different hardware!

See if Eko's 17084 works better for you ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17084/dd-wrt.v24-17084_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn.bin (I noticed you need openvpn).

You can also try svn17990 build, however it looks like SSH has some troubles in those latest builds and personally I do not use those yet until it's fixed out of the box.

Just re-flash it thought the dd wrt interface and choose the "reset to factory defaults" while doing it.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: