Best way to bridge two locations that have static IPs

johngammel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 16:56    Post subject: Best way to bridge two locations that have static IPs Reply with quote
I need to bridge (TAP?) two locations together for 3 weeks. It needs to be completely transparent so that the 192.168.200 network works just like it does now at one location. Both locations have Comcast business class service with static IPs and a subnet of 255.255.255.248. The new location also has CenturyLink business DSL service with static IPs so that I can test at one location. I have 2 WRT54G Linksys routers (V3 and V4) that already have DD-WRT installed (VPN build 14896 of 2010-08-09).

I've tried PPTP but can't get that working. After much research everything I find is either very old with scripts or there are comments that it doesn't work. Can someone either post a link to a definitive article on this, or send me their documentation with screen shots of their setup?
Sponsor
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_-_Site-to-Site_Bridged_VPN_Between_Two_Routers

Is this what you are looking for?

I would make one suggestion about this article when trying to implement, is make the subnet bigger a /23 or /22 instead of one /24,
This would allow you to keep track of he IP addresses easier, and still keep the same default gateway.

192.168.0.0-192.168.3.255 would be a /22
Giving location 1 192.168.1.x IP addresses and location 2 192.168.2.x IP addresses, but the default gateway would still be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 whatever you want.

And continue with the DHCP blocking part from that link.

Or, only run 1 DHCP server, in which case you would not want to follow the DHCP blocking part.

Unless you are really focused on wanting PPTP, OpenVPN may be exactly what you need.
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I confirmed this past week though,

Setting up 'remote management' even if the VPN is down, using the WAN IP you can still manage the device and make changes, even if the LAN side configuration is 'broken'.

I did this while while fighting with my own VPN issues at the remote site.
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I started a thread here, because of issues with DD-WRT side and my limited experience with DD-WRT.

I would be much happier if this was my job, I would be getting paid Smile

When you are the family's tech support, you do things that make it easier for you in the long-run, but also to learn something new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: