ASUS WL-520gc recommended DD-WRT firmware version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 23:29    Post subject: ASUS WL-520gc recommended DD-WRT firmware version Reply with quote
I'm having wifi problems with my 2 ASUS WL-520gc routers. After reading the sticky on firmware recommendations, I saw that the version I downloaded has "poor wireless performance." But, I did not see a recommended version to switch to. So, my question is: Is there a recommended firmware version for my router? Or one that someone has gotten to work reliably?

Thanks in advance!
-Joey.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You must have missed the announcement at the top of the forum here. You should check it out, helpful info inside.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
You must have missed the announcement at the top of the forum here. You should check it out, helpful info inside.

You're right. I had to read the Peacock Announcement a second time to figure it out. I uploaded BrainSlayer's "dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin," because I didn't see a build made for my router. However, I'm still experiencing poor wireless performance. It's a bit better, but pretty close to how it was performing before the update to BrainSlayer's build. It's worth noting that I have two routers daisy-chained together. Wired speed from either of them or the modem is between 22 and 30 Mbps. Wireless speed off of the router closest to the modem is between 8 and 13 Mbps. And wireless speed off of the router furthest from the modem is between 2 and 4 Mbps. Any help is greatly appreciated. Is anyone else having similar issues? Or is there an alternative build that's (relatively) stable?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
the_joey_o wrote:
It's worth noting that I have two routers daisy-chained together.

So wtf is "daisy-chained together", are we supposed to understand how you have connected them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
the_joey_o wrote:
It's worth noting that I have two routers daisy-chained together.

So wtf is "daisy-chained together", are we supposed to understand how you have connected them?

Sorry. Let me be more explicit: I have 1 router connected to my cable modem via an ethernet cable, and a second router connected to the first router via an ethernet cable. The first router has wireless speeds between 8 and 13 Mbps. The second router has wireless speeds between 2 and 4 Mbps. A computer connected to either router through an ethernet cable will get between 22 and 30 Mbps. I'd like my wireless performance to more closely match the performance I'm getting over the ethernet cable (although to be honest, I could live with 8-13 Mbps going over both router's wireless connections).
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to bump the thread, but I'm going to need return these routers if they aren't going to perform the way I need them to. I'll ask one last time: Does anybody know of a fix for the wireless issue I'm experiencing?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Switch places with the radios. If the problem follows the radio then it is defective and you only need to return that radio. If the problem does not follow the radio then your settings are wrong.
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
Switch places with the radios. If the problem follows the radio then it is defective and you only need to return that radio. If the problem does not follow the radio then your settings are wrong.

I've switched around the routers, and the problem is always on the router furthest from the modem. What settings could be at fault here? I've tried switching around the channels between 1, 6 & 11, and it doesn't make a difference.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
the_joey_o wrote:
... What settings could be at fault here?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point#Installation
Shocked

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
the_joey_o wrote:
... What settings could be at fault here?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point#Installation
Shocked

I'm still learning about networking (clearly), but if I set up my second router as just a WAP, don't I lose the added security of a tiered network (NAT / Private IPs for that second router)? I was hoping to give out the password of the router closest to the modem to friends and family that come over and keep the router furthest from the modem solely for my own machines.
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. I was looking at the documentation on http://www.grc.com/nat/nats.htmfor what I am trying to setup, and I decided to be extremely literal in my interpretation. Initially, I had set up 192.168.1.1 as the IP address for the router closest to the modem and 192.168.0.1 for the router furthest from the modem. GRC's website has the router furthest from the modem set to 192.168.2.1 and the one closest to the modem as 192.168.1.1. Switching the router furthest from the modem to 192.168.2.1 fixed the problem I had with the wireless broadcast speed being incredibly slow on that router.

Now, I still have the problem of both routers broadcasting at a little less than half the speed I'm getting over a wired connection, but that's a problem I can live with. If however, anybody has a fix for that issue, I'd be happy to hear it.
the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scratch that. After I power cycled the router, the incredibly slow speed returned. Sad
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both radios are now slow when before only the second one was ?

You started with ;
the_joey_o wrote:
Wireless speed off of the router closest to the modem is between 8 and 13 Mbps. And wireless speed off of the router furthest from the modem is between 2 and 4 Mbps.

Now what the hell you got ? Shocked

the_joey_o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
Both radios are now slow when before only the second one was ?

You started with ;
the_joey_o wrote:
Wireless speed off of the router closest to the modem is between 8 and 13 Mbps. And wireless speed off of the router furthest from the modem is between 2 and 4 Mbps.

Now what the hell you got ? Shocked

The same as before. The router furthest from the modem gets .2-3 Mbps. The router closest to the modem gets between 7 and 13 Mbps, while my wired speeds are consistently between 17 and 30 Mbps.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
We need to see some screen shots of the configuration pages. Basic and Wireless pages would be a good start.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: