CLI add-on that has the look and feel of a cisco router?

schwit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 0:40    Post subject: CLI add-on that has the look and feel of a cisco router? Reply with quote
Many of us work with or are looking for hands on experience with Cisco routers. Having a command line configurable low cost router that feels just like the expensive ciscos would be incredible.
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
ios emulation? mmh the problem is i need some documentation for cloning it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:41    Post subject: Couple of References to start with Reply with quote
Cisco IOS in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition
By James Boney
Publisher: O'Reilly

-----------------------------------
Cisco Press
Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
please something not written on paper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59    Post subject: I can get you pdf versions? Reply with quote
Where do I send them?
smokes2345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 23:52    Post subject: Great Idea Reply with quote
I'm currently in a CCNA prep class, this would really help me with my labs. I could do lab work at home! Unfortunately, all the SOHO routers have can only take the micro version of dd-wrt. Could this be work into it?
Sublime865
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cisco puts out software called Packet Tracer (may be discontinued, check peer to peer networks)

It is an exact emulation of pretty much anything cisco. If you need to do labs at home, use that. Ask your instructor for a copy (I'm not linking to it, its proprietary) or search a P2P Network. If you are in the class, you have a license to use it. I took the class that's how I know about it.
arSouth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cisco Packet Tracer is still available, and it's updated. more function is been add in, you can download it from cisco's website.

there also a software call Cisco Config maker, you can also try that too.
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been working for years on Cisco routers/firewalls. Their whole strength resides in the fact that the CLI is extremely reliable. Even so it takes a long time to learn how to use.

IMO it would be better to stick with the current method of configuration.

EDIT: Ouch... sorry about the necro-job. Didn't realize a page one thread is more than one year old Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, if it's on the first page it doesn't count. I've used Packet Tracer extensively and can't say I recommend it for people looking to learn unless you're using the same IOS version. Even then you're strictly limited in router and switch models.

It can be phenomenal software but it's nowhere near a replacement for a home lab.

As for links to Cisco IOS documentation:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm
That page will give you config guides for all releases down to 10.3.
dgaglioni
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all and BrainSlayer,

I'll be very glad to help with this add-on (or something that emulates a Cisco CLI), I know that is possible (the Cisco cmds will work as alias to the linux cmds) and I'm sure that will be an excellent advantage for DD-WRT.

As our friend said sorry about the necro-job but I'm very interested to help this feature be released Very Happy

anyone who wants to discuss about this add me on skype: slash-br

Thank you !
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
this topic has been festering at the back of my mind for a while now... and today popped into my head! although i haven't been able to find the webpage that i found before regarding IOS cli commands...

there is already a cisco emulator for linux here. However i get the feeling you want something simpler? like suggested, an alias file to drop into the router.

a couple of links to cisco documentation:
http://www.pantz.org/software/ios/ioscommands.html
http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6134/c1049/ccmigration_09186a00805dbd3c.pdf

so would it be that easy? for example:

alias reload='reboot'
alias reload_shutdown='halt -n'
alias rename='mv'

obviously these are very basic examples and spaces would need to be replaced... something harder would be totally beyond me Smile

list of optware packages
broadcom announcements, peacock and recommended builds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: