WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dodge DeBoulet wrote:
jheide44 wrote:

I see, other than picking through this thread & the rest of the broadcom forum I have no personal experience here...

could you be recalling this?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=763495#763495

Possibly, but that seems a bit older than I remember. I thought I read about some issues in the latter half of 2014. I could be misremembering, though.

Quote:
if not check out the other links generated using this search syntax (without quotes) by google...
"N900 kong build upgrade issues site:www.dd-wrt.com/forum"

Will do. Thank you!

No problem that little search "site:" syntax thing can be a real live saver...

Good Luck!

PS. FWIW (very little to none) I don't recall that issue on any of the Kong personal test builds since October 2014

keep in mind it may have been device specific and I am a R6300v2 guy, but I read up on the R7000 threads

also I have a so-so memory & reserve the right to be wrong from time to time

Smile

PS Kong has been VERY good about pulling builds with issues off his web space. i.e. K26 heartbleed exposure, etc.

Given the care and testing he does, noting that your build is still posted to his historical archives might be a bit of assurance.

(this last part is just a "wild ass guess")

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Sponsor
Dodge DeBoulet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just upgraded uneventfully to trunk 26138M on my WNDR4500v1. Thanks again!
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dodge DeBoulet wrote:
Just upgraded uneventfully to trunk 26138M on my WNDR4500v1. Thanks again!

glad to hear it & no problem!

Assumptions:
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 19:28    Post subject: new to me WNDR4500 Reply with quote
just recently got my hands on a WNDR4500 v1

so far I've tested both BS 26424 & BS 26446

I've found the WiFi to be a bit less stable than my ARM CUP unit. (100% open to the possibility of an Id10T configuration error on my part)

Confession:
I only read back about 12 pages or so... be gentle Wink

Observation:
Based on the chatter Kongs historical K3-AC 25015-SP1 seemed to be very popular... any particular reasons/issues driving folks to want an update?

Question:
Just wondering if anyone can relay any hands on experience to help me cut this corner? i.e. what builds have WNDR4500 users found to be stable/reliable?

FYI, my eventual goal (if I can get this beast to be as solid as my ARM unit) is to have this replace the E3000 (as main WAN facing device at location #2 in my siggy) and run Site-To-Site Bridged VPN Between this and one of my R6300v2 units.

Any words of wisdom? (was thinking of falling back to 26138, that is my current "back out plan" build on the ARM device)

Assumptions:
HERE
MSaran.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using BS 26332 and everything looks fine.
However, I've turned off the QoS as it seems to make the router unstable (crash/restart).
Wifi is Ok, but I don't have many clients.
IPv6 is good.
It is always on and I don't notice anything else to report.
Thinking about an update to the last BS 26446...
Anach
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying out the latest firmware dd-wrt.v24-26446_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNDR4500, for my v1, and all is so far so good, except last night I made the mistake of enabling SSH for my remote access, and all hell broke loose. First the internet died, then the modem wouldnt boot, then it reset to defaults, then finally after fixing all that I thought i'd try again, but it kept causing internet dropouts. No SSH for now then..
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
MSaran. & Anach,

Thanks for the replies Smile

the relatively new WIKI seems to recommend Kong's old 25015-SP1

See:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR4500#Build_Information

I think I'll give ^^that^^ a whirl.

FWIW, On my R6300v2 unit I had similar wifi drop issues in both bands on the current Kong PTB 26450, just reverted that one back to Kong PTB 26365 on that device...

Hopefully a "downgrade" solves my issues on both devices.

Assumptions:
HERE
Anach
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers, I'll give that one a try.
shockwave818
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 20:24    Post subject: Slow Interface? Reply with quote
Here's my flash path.

30-30-30
Flashed stock firmware - WNDR4500-V1.0.1.40_1.0.68.chk
30-30-30
Flashed Kong Initial - dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500
30-30-30
Flashed Kong - dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin
30-30-30

I'm noticing really slow load times when navigating the router interface. Clicking on different tabs/features results in load times of ~10 seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
HeyItsTodd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:37    Post subject: Do I hear 3? Reply with quote
Has anybody worked with a WNDR4500v3? ( http://support.netgear.com/product/wndr4500v3 ) I picked up a refurb from meh.com that I'd like to turn into a repeater. No luck with the Netgear setup process, would like to give DDWRT a go.
HotelDon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also bought this router from the Meh.com sale, and I'm pretty sure this is a v1, not a v3. It has a power brick just like a v1, and Meh makes it business by buying lots of units on the cheap, so it would make more sense for these to be v1 refurbs rather than v3, which appear to be fairly new.

Also, I just got done flashing the v1 .chk firmware from the wiki, and didn't brick my router. So there's also that.
tonic48
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03    Post subject: Dual wan on WNDR4500v2 Reply with quote
Is there anyone who got dual wan on WNDR4500v2.
I am unable to find information about this. The procedure I used for my old WNDR3500L doesn't work for WNDR4500v2.
Any ideas? Do I need a certain DD-WRT build?
jpmkm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 17:59    Post subject: Re: Slow Interface? Reply with quote
shockwave818 wrote:

I'm noticing really slow load times when navigating the router interface. Clicking on different tabs/features results in load times of ~10 seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Are you using Firefox? This is going to sound crazy, but try changing your password. I had the same issue, so I turned on syslog and I got this every time I tried to go to a different page:
Code:
DD-WRT user.info syslog: httpd login failure - bad passwd !

Changed my password, and now pages load instantly like one would expect.
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
ere109 wrote:
I just hit 101 days uptime with Kong's 25015M build. I'm extremely happy.

I'm right behind you, almost 95 days on the same build. For those that want to stash away the router and not have to deal with reboots, this seems to be a great build for that. (Not to say later releases are any worse in this regard, I just know this one is good for long term reliability with my configuration)

Here's an odd update on this, I hit 192 days of uptime today and seemingly at that exact point in time it kicked everyone off the 5ghz side and wouldn't let any clients back on. The 2.4ghz side was unaffected and continued to work fine. I figured it was still an impressive uptime number and thought a simple reboot would take care of it, nope.

When I tried to reboot from the webui it got stuck somewhere in the boot process and hadn't finished after 10 minutes of waiting. I removed power and waited a few minutes before plugging it back in, another 10 minutes later and it still hadn't booted.

So I went through a number of 30/30/30s and each time I was left with it responding to pings with a TTL=100 indicating to me that it was in recovery mode.

I fought with it a little more letting it sit overnight without power, messing with the reset button during boot, etc. Nothing got it out of TTL=100 responses short of reloading firmware as explained below.

Since it was already responding to pings with a TTL of 100 I assumed it was in recovery mode. (Don't have a serial connection setup to this device) I tried sending my currently loaded firmware (25015M) and it seemed to take it just fine, however the device never rebooted after receiving the image. I tried both the windows client and then the linux client. The 25015M and all other dd-wrt images failed to load after multiple attempts with different tftp utilities.

I ended up using the linux client for everything after my 25015M attempt. The original CHK file I used to move from Netgear to dd-wrt firmware was also tried but it did the same thing as the 25015M image, it would transfer successfully but it wouldn't reboot or do anything else after that point. (Yes, I waited 5-10 minutes after a good transfer each time to see if something happened)

Ultimately what I did to get free of this loop was to load the original Netgear firmware back onto it. ('WNDR4500-V1.0.1.36_1.0.63.chk' was the file I used) This loaded via tftp as expected with no extra steps, once it was transferred it started a reboot cycle and I saw the Netgear web interface on it after about 2-3 minutes. From there I skipped the setup and uploaded 'dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNDR4500.chk' that was originally used to move from Netgear firmware to dd-wrt. It uploaded fine and I was at the initial dd-wrt username & password setup after a few minutes. I just skipped through what was there and performed my next upgrade to 25015M with a reset to defaults after flashing.

Now all is good and I've got my settings plugged back in. Very odd though that this all started with the 5ghz radio going down at exactly 192 days of uptime... Also strange to me was the fact that it wouldn't accept any image but the original Netgear image to get out of recovery mode. It must do some checking of the image that the dd-wrt images don't pass.

TLDR; Router was up for 192 days and 5ghz radio stopped working. Trying to reboot the router from the web UI left me in a TTL=100 state that could only be resolved by tftping over the original stock Netgear firmware image. I could then use the web UI to upload the dd-wrt images and all is good now.
jschwalbe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 14:49    Post subject: solid amber, bricked? Reply with quote
Hi all. I've read thru much of the 73-some pages of this, but looking for some advice for my situation that doesn't quite fit. I've installed dd-wrt on probably 5 other routers (all linksys) without ever bricking one, so I'm sad that my luck may have run out. Sad

I purchased a refurb R4500, successfully switched it over to full WNDR4500 firmware. Then I followed the instructions on the ddwrt wiki to install ddwrt. After uploading the .chk thru the web gui, the router restarted and is not responding.

Lights: Solid amber power light. Green ethernet port light (corresponding to whichever is plugged into my Mac).
Pings: I've set my IP and subnet appropriately (192.168.1.8 and 255.255.255.0). When I reboot the router with the reset button held down, sometimes I can get a TTL=100 ping response, and only one, never more than that. Otherwise I don't get any other ping replies.

I've tried TFTPing but it doesn't connect. I've tried multiple timing, including trying to start the transfer before I see the TTL=100 reply, and after, and during.. Nothing seems to work. I have not yet tried putting a hub or switch between the computer and the router, but that would be my next step.

I can still return the unit Rolling Eyes but I feel bad about that. I'm probably not handy enough to open the unit and do anything technical either.

Is there anything else I can try or techniques that I'm maybe not doing right? Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 74 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: