WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95, 96  Next
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
amikot wrote:
Hello everyone, I just started with ddwrt on my netgear WNDR4500v1.
I started with initial build and than after time spent on this thread I installed dd-wrt version 33555 - that looked most stable for me.
Everything is great, but I see small slowdown on my WAN interface, and I don't know it its caused by firmware, config or its provider issue.
Normally (on genuine netgear firmware) I had around 65Mbit download and 15Mbit upload.
Now its dl 45Mbit and ul is 12Mbit.
So first question is to users of WNDR4500v1: Could you post your max WAN speed (from speedtest.net or from fast.com)?
Second question (also to users of V1) - What is your current version of dd-wrt ? How it works, should I stay with 33555 or maybe in past year appeared something worth upgrade?
Thanks

Just flash later r36695 on 09/19/2018 then go into networking to change mac addr last digit pair to fix conflicted memory. Then WNDR4500 should run ok. If you want run max perform of this router then you need to change and update new nvram wireless parameter.
Code:
nvram show |grep mcsbw
nvram show| grep pa2gw

Also you need disable signal bypass function of transceiver ic.
Sponsor
amikot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Just flash later r36695 on 09/19/2018 then go into networking to change mac addr last digit pair to fix conflicted memory. Then WNDR4500 should run ok. If you want run max perform of this router then you need to change and update new nvram wireless parameter.
Code:
nvram show |grep mcsbw
nvram show| grep pa2gw

Also you need disable signal bypass function of transceiver ic.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I found that it was my phone line faulty. After connecting modem directly to master socket (without any filter), my attainable speed raised to 70Mbit for downstream and 26Mbit for upstream. Of course due to DLM in cabinet, synced speed is lower - still 45Mbit, however upload speed went up to 20Mbit (which is maximum set by provider).
As I reed somewhere, DLM will try to raise my download speed in steps if attainable speed will be stable, so I just need to wait.

So, speed is not the case now, but I found problem with firmware 33555. Every few days I had to restart modem, because of wifi crash - basically nobody can connect on 2.4GHz.

In case of upgrading to r36695 - I would like to know more. I don't like to experiment on my router as it is supplying my house with internet. I don't have serial interface, and would't like to open router to get serial (or is that J-tag?) port accessible, so I would prefer to research first what other people are using.

That what you posted about - I'm not very familiar with.
I know how grep works in linux, but I don't know how hex parameters from Nvram are related to anything and what to do with them. Also completely not understand how to disable signal bypass function.
Only understandable advice (apart of flashing r36695) is that one about changing MAC address, but I don't know anything about conflicted memory, so again - I would like to learn more.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you dont know much about the code then you dont need too, but you much clearly know how the way it is working.
1. Speed from modem to your end devices like a computer through the wire . Almost FW are the same on this.
For example max speed of isp, max speed of LAN cable modem, max speed of LAN router.The lowest is what you got on speed.
isp=20mbs, cable modem=100mbs, router=1000mbs then what you got??

2. Speed from LAN or USB of router to wifi to your end devices like smartphone. It is the same way.

if router said it is AC1750 means you can get max speed through both 2.4ghz + 5ghz=max 1750mbs in lab test condition.

But hey reality the world has billion conditions and comminication is not one way.
So what you got: 1750mbs :2(duplex) :2(2 bandwide) :1.3(2 spatial antenna) :1.5(crypto)=??
your guess bettter than me.
If you check wl0 and wl1 had same mac addr then you need to change otherwise no need to upgrade due it is too old.

Last edited by deslatha on Wed Oct 24, 2018 22:05; edited 1 time in total
amikot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
In case of my internet speed I didn't mention WiFi nor LAN.
It was always question of WAN or DSL.
After I unlocked my DSL modem and can reed parameters from it - I know that problem with speed is related to weak sync.
(It should go back to normal after time or maybe I need DLM reset - I will ask ISP for that).

So, as I solved my VDSL speed, my only problem now is crashing 2.4G WiFi. It happened twice - every time it was when WAN (DSL modem) was off. But the case was not this that we couldn't use the internet, but we couldn't connect trough 2.4G at all - router was not answering. In this time there was no problem with LAN and 5G was OK as well.

I was asking about another firmware because I'm wondering if there is newer version that will not brick my WNDR4500 and I could check stability of WiFi.

BTW. I'm using dd-wrt companion which can do speed test of WAN directly on router, so I can avoid possible problems of LAN/WiFi that could affect speed test result.
oscahie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed DD-WRT 35452 to my WNDR4500v1 about 2 weeks ago and I'm having some serious connection issues on the 2.4 Ghz wlan. Everything else works fine, as far as I can tell, but the wlan0 is giving me some serious trouble.

What happens is that wireless devices connect fine to the wlan0, the bandwidth is great and the range too, but every once in a while (could be a couple of hours or just after 10 mins), a device will simply go offline. I mean, it stays connected to the WiFi network -it doesn't drop out- but none of the packets seem to get through the AP. If I launch a ping against the IP address of the router, it's all timeouts. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting to the same SSID 'fixes' the issue. At the same time any other devices connected to that same network will still work fine, so the issue definitely doesn't affect all of the connected devices simultaneously. I'm experiencing this issue across all sorts of devices, from a desktop PC to an iPhone. Finally, I have not noticed this issue on the 5 Ghz band.

Does anyone have any idea about what could be going on? Or a suggestion of a better build number to be on...

In the meantime I've just downgraded to the build 33555, which seems to be another 'popular' one in this thread. I've done so without resetting the config, and so far so good, but will see how it goes in a few days. Failing that I'll try build 28211, which I've also seen recommended in the previous pages, but if I can't get this fixed in the next few weeks then I'm afraid I'll be off to buy a new router...
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should buy new router due it cheap and reasonable. wifi at 2.4ghz is old tech and obsolete due to 5ghz power amplier so expense. Has you recognize that when you use 2.4ghz then you also do a microwaves with small horse power to manipulate water molecules. it is not dangerous but it really not good. better run 2 router with all 5ghz and disable all 2.4ghz.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
oscahie wrote:
I flashed DD-WRT 35452 to my WNDR4500v1 about 2 weeks ago and I'm having some serious connection issues on the 2.4 Ghz wlan.
Did you check for interference (wireless channel scan; I use an open Android app by VREM)? What Wireless Network Mode are you using? Try NG-Mixed, not Mixed nor *-Only.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
oscahie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Did you check for interference (wireless channel scan; I use an open Android app by VREM)? What Wireless Network Mode are you using? Try NG-Mixed, not Mixed nor *-Only.

Yes, I did. I live in a large building but with thick walls, so I see only a handful of other networks, and I'm already in the less crowded channel (6). I've also tried the NG-Mixed mode for the last week or so and it didn't make any difference. I don't think it's interference at all, since if often happens to my iPhone while I'm sitting with it 2m away from the Netgear, while a laptop further away is working fine. Note: these days I'm forcing the iPhone to always hook up to the 2.4 Ghz network in order to try and troubleshoot these issues, otherwise it'd almost always choose the 5 Ghz band in that location.

@deslatha I'm aware of that, but I have some oldish devices in the house that do not support 5 Ghz, so that's not a choice I can make yet. Also as I said above, I have thick walls to deal with and that means range is very poor with 5 Ghz in some areas (master bedroom, for instance), so the 2.4 Ghz band often saves the day. Sure I could buy new hardware and set up a mesh network and all, but I'm trying to keep the WNDR4500 running for a while more and save some bucks Smile
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then here the way to do:
telnet and send these command.; back nvram up if you want too.

Last edited by deslatha on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:08; edited 1 time in total
oscahie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
Then here the way to do:
telnet and send these command.; back nvram up if you want too.

Hey, I took a quick look at the current values for several of those properties listed in your file and many of them are not even set currently on my router, while the rest is set to a different value... Can you elaborate on where are this values coming from and what do you intend them to do? I wouldn't want to unintentionally brick it cause I don't have the cable needed to revive it.

By the way, with the build 33555 so far I haven't noticed the issue in these 2 days. Fingers crossed.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the build 33555 is so good then forget about these code. new fw need new nvram for compatible.
oscahie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spoke too soon... with 33555 I have an even worse issue. A few hours ago the wlan0 stopped working, as in the SSID was broadcasted but clients could not join it successfully. wlan1 was working fine at the same time. Looks like the same issue that a few people (eg. user amikot) have reported earlier in this thread.

So, time to try 28211, unless someone has a recommendation for a newer build.
Lt.Cmdr.Chakotay
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use DD-WRT v3.0-r33772 giga (11/16/17) on my WNDR4500

Uptime = 159 days, 15:58
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
With any version, it works but if you run max devices or max speed then there is a issues occur.
There is a few code can temp fix with any fw rev due not really perfect.
nvram set bootflags=1
nvram set nospare=1
nvram set /pci/1/1/devid=0x43a1
nvram set /pci/2/1/devid=0x43a2
nvram commit

After that made sure it is correct
nvram show|grep devid

if it is exactly then restart router or
reboot
oscahie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lt.Cmdr.Chakotay wrote:
I use DD-WRT v3.0-r33772 giga (11/16/17) on my WNDR4500

Uptime = 159 days, 15:58

That's a great uptime but, do you make use of the 2.4 GHz a lot? That seems to be where all my troubles are coming from. I might try r33772 following your suggestion but initially I had discarded that build since someone in the previous page mentioned having similar wifi issues with r34080, so I figured the issue from 33555 would still linger around in the build 33772.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 94 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: