WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
TuxBux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 0:09    Post subject: Re: Help for a newbie? Reply with quote
Gauss013 wrote:
Ok, so I have read through the peacock thread and as much of this thread as I can (sorry guys, its 55 pages... Tough to process all that information to determine what I should do).

It recommends that I use the builds recommended from the forum as they tend to be more tested, now the wiki recommends: v.24 sp2 - build 21656 20130522, but seeing as many of you are referencing builds in the 237xx range, I am guessing that those are more up to date builds?

In simple terms, what is the build I should use if I want a stable version of DD-WRT on my router? Is there a stable version (dd-wrt.com lists it as a wip, but information indicates it is out of date).

Also, I am pretty new to this, is this guide pretty accurate? ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation ). It hits all the key points I would expect given installing an image on an embedded device, but I want to double check as I'd like to avoid bricking my router.

No worries, the general DD-WRT database on the web site, and to some extent the wiki, can be outdated fast and is in need of cleanup.

Long story short, if you own a Netgear WNDR4500, you should use the builds linked in Kong's signature on his own site. Read his readme and his Changelog there as well, but most seem to recommend installing the latest 4/3 build.

Sponsor
mystykmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
TuxBux wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
From my Readme:

Flashing back to Netgear Firmware is supported in builds >= 22127

To go back to netgear, just flash one of the newer builds, then it will allow you to flash netgear fw.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/

Thank you so much, Kong. Your documentation in the Readme and Changelog are great, I just didn't see them immediately.

So I guess you don't need my router for development purposes?

No thanks, there won't be any further model specific changes, the port for this unit is complete.

Confused by this last statement. By "complete" do you mean finished or stopped? Sounds like you're saying no more new firmware for the 4500 or just saying new builds will still work?
Gauss013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:01    Post subject: Re: Help for a newbie? Reply with quote
TuxBux wrote:

No worries, the general DD-WRT database on the web site, and to some extent the wiki, can be outdated fast and is in need of cleanup.

Long story short, if you own a Netgear WNDR4500, you should use the builds linked in Kong's signature on his own site. Read his readme and his Changelog there as well, but most seem to recommend installing the latest 4/3 build.

Ok, thank you.

So then I presume the build you are referring to is the 23770-R01?

Is the only difference between WNDR4500v1 and v2 the .chk file?

What about the guide? Is that accurate? Is it just as simple as pulling down the .chk and .bin and presenting them to my router via the web interface (After a 30/30/30 reset)?

Lastly what is the difference between OLDD and NEWD? The changelog hints that it is a stability (OLDD) vs. capability (NEWD) issue. Am I losing anything by going with the OLDD build? Is the NEWD build really that unstable?
TuxBux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:39    Post subject: Re: Help for a newbie? Reply with quote
Gauss013 wrote:
TuxBux wrote:

Ok, thank you.

So then I presume the build you are referring to is the 23770-R01?

Is the only difference between WNDR4500v1 and v2 the .chk file?

What about the guide? Is that accurate? Is it just as simple as pulling down the .chk and .bin and presenting them to my router via the web interface (After a 30/30/30 reset)?

Lastly what is the difference between OLDD and NEWD? The changelog hints that it is a stability (OLDD) vs. capability (NEWD) issue. Am I losing anything by going with the OLDD build? Is the NEWD build really that unstable?

Others should chime in here but I'm sure Kong's guide is accurate on installation routine. Yes, I used Kong's latest 23770-R01 build.

I went with OLDD due to comments by Kong in the Changelog, but NEWD has been used by many as well.

TuxBux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
mystykmax wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
TuxBux wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
From my Readme:

To go back to netgear, just flash one of the newer builds, then it will allow you to flash netgear fw.

Thank you so much, Kong. Your documentation in the Readme and Changelog are great, I just didn't see them immediately.

No thanks, there won't be any further model specific changes, the port for this unit is complete.

Confused by this last statement. By "complete" do you mean finished or stopped? Sounds like you're saying no more new firmware for the 4500 or just saying new builds will still work?

He said no further model specific changes, that means that the code that is specific to the 4500 is done, finished, working great. It needs no improvement.

Any upstream changes in non-model-specific code, which is everything else in DD-WRT, should work fine as new builds are released, unless something unintentionally breaks some WNDR4500 functionality, which seems unlikely at this point.

mystykmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
TuxBux wrote:
mystykmax wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
TuxBux wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
From my Readme:

He said no further model specific changes, that means that the code that is specific to the 4500 is done, finished, working great. It needs no improvement.

Any upstream changes in non-model-specific code, which is everything else in DD-WRT, should work fine as new builds are released, unless something unintentionally breaks some WNDR4500 functionality, which seems unlikely at this point.

Excellent. The answer for which I was hoping! Smile Leave it to Kong to take care of things this nicely.

fwiw, I am using the 23770R01 NEWD with great success on my 4500v1.
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00    Post subject: high CPU usage Reply with quote
I just loaded the latest 23885 version, but am still experiencing what seems to be a high CPU usage. Going through the menu screens is sluggish and slow. See attached screenshot. I only have minimal traffic and usage going on. Anyone else seeing this? How can I troubleshoot this? Is there a command I can run that shows what's taking up my CPU?

It runs consistently at 100% all day... Sad

Screenshot_2014-04-08-21-39-16-picsay.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.24 KB
 Viewed:  10037 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-04-08-21-39-16-picsay.jpg

mystykmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:13    Post subject: Re: high CPU usage Reply with quote
vnvjeep wrote:
I just loaded the latest 23885 version, but am still experiencing what seems to be a high CPU usage. Going through the menu screens is sluggish and slow. See attached screenshot. I only have minimal traffic and usage going on. Anyone else seeing this? How can I troubleshoot this? Is there a command I can run that shows what's taking up my CPU?

It runs consistently at 100% all day... Sad

not seeing that but not on 23885 yet. I have mine overclocked to 650 but it's at like 1-4% most of the time except when testing download speeds.

BTW, the changelog version number and the build # don't match right now. Is that a typo or was there a rebuild?
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:06    Post subject: culpit found Reply with quote
Well I found the culprit to my extremely high CPU loads... and was wondering if Kong can please check this out?

I was using the RFlow feature... (see attached pic). When I enable this, my CPU usage spikes through the roof and stays there... When I turn it off, it drops all the way down to extremely minimal/normal levels.

I don't think I had this problem in the past... the interface used to always be very snappy even with RFlow enabled. But with RFlow enabled now, each screen can take up to 5-10 seconds just to pull up prolly because the CPU is overtaxed.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me...

Thanks!
-Mike

rflow.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.12 KB
 Viewed:  10020 Time(s)

rflow.JPG

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50    Post subject: Re: culpit found Reply with quote
vnvjeep wrote:
Well I found the culprit to my extremely high CPU loads... and was wondering if Kong can please check this out?

I was using the RFlow feature... (see attached pic). When I enable this, my CPU usage spikes through the roof and stays there... When I turn it off, it drops all the way down to extremely minimal/normal levels.

I don't think I had this problem in the past... the interface used to always be very snappy even with RFlow enabled. But with RFlow enabled now, each screen can take up to 5-10 seconds just to pull up prolly because the CPU is overtaxed.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me...

Thanks!
-Mike

A few other have mentioned this, the RFlow code is really old and hasn't been updated in a while.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had reported earlier using 23770R01 NEWD was working great and it was...but I feel like I'm getting slower wireless speeds after it's been up for a day or two. On my 2.4Ghz...Yesterday I came home and was getting about ~20Mbps transfer to my ISP. I rebooted the router and immediately (and standing in the same exact spot) got ~34Mbps. I'll probably try the OLDD 238* when I get home tonight.
theclash150
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would anyone suggest for a good txpower setting for the 2.4Ghz band (N-only) and the 5Ghz band (N-Only)? I noticed that since switching to DD-WRT, with the default values, my wireless signal for both bands is weaker.

Edit: Using 23770R01-OLDD btw.
mystykmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
theclash150 wrote:
What would anyone suggest for a good txpower setting for the 2.4Ghz band (N-only) and the 5Ghz band (N-Only)? I noticed that since switching to DD-WRT, with the default values, my wireless signal for both bands is weaker.

Edit: Using 23770R01-OLDD btw.

I am using a wndr4500v1 and have tx power set to 160 for both 2.4 and 5. I haven't seen much talk of what other people use even though I've asked this same question.
theclash150
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to utilize an Apple Airport Extreme as a WAP however, the router doesn't show up under the active clients list and only sometimes lets devices connect to it. Is there a setting I need to enable to allow an access point to be on the network? I had absolutely no issues with this on stock firmware.

EDIT: Renaming the Airport Extreme with the Airport Utility appears to have alleviated the issue. The AP still doesn't appear in the active clients list however.
ere109
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shall I assume that, since Kong said development was complete, that we're done talking about this router, and its just going to become mainstream while this thread falls into oblivion?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 56 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: