WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah! What he said.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ere109 wrote:
Twenty-nine days up without a single glitch (24200 OLD). Now I'm gonna start enabling features, one at a time, and see where the trouble gets introduced. Maybe I'll give each step a week to settle.

I'm on an old build (22970) that has recently started to act up. Scheduled reboot seems to leave it in an unusable state sometimes, and it's completely unresponsive to a ping or any other traffic. I think the power light has been blinking orange when it's happened (not 100% it was always doing this or just the last few times I've seen it)

Your progress reports are really useful to me as I think I may have changed a small setting (syslog probably) somewhere and not remembered doing it. Otherwise I've tried to leave it untouched as stability is the ultimate 'feature' for me and it's been pretty good for the last 12 months.

Anyway, I'm going to try one of the NEWD builds and see how it does. I remember trying the new driver builds earlier and had some issues with them, so hopefully this time around is better. I'll do a nvram erase and 30/30/30 reset to ensure I've got the new factory defaults loaded.

Crossing my fingers...
adrien1977
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
meistadieb wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Idk. He is the pro.

He definitely is. Maybe his answer is related to the experiences and researches he already made (just read this older posting and the following)

But does he assume you won't have luck and would rather brick your unit or does he even just don't think it is worth a try?

And what would you do? Stay with stock FW? Sell the unit again? Make some experiments?

Because it looks like a hw failure. After a flash his output from the kernel says it cannot find the rootfs magic, anywhere on the mtd. The flash must be defective in the area where our rootfs is located and these blocks are obviously not detected as defective otherwise they would be skipped on write.

We had other cases before were the old rootfs was still on it thus the kernel tried to boot from the wrong location in that case erasing the flash does the trick, but if if there is no rootfs after a flash, then erasing won't do anything, since you can't write the image correctly.

Funny. So this is weird.
After a long time of inactivity, i decided to go back and see if there was a new build. I was on 23900 NEW.
I saw the 25015-SP1 so i was pretty stoked about it.
I flash and then bam!!!! bricked router.... Noooooo, Not again.....
So i run and try to find my cable and try to remember how i unbricked it.
Anyways, long story short.
I was able to unbrick by using the chk file mentioned a little bit earlier(can't seem to attach the file)

Anyways, since i became a pro at flashing old versions i decided to try a couple.
Btw, after enabling tftpd on the router using the cable, these are the commands i used to push the new firmware
Code:

tftp 192.168.1.1
connect 192.168.1.1
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
trace
put dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_NEWD.bin

As of now i run the 24200 NEW
25015 and 25015-SP1 create a crash
It seems that only the builds with NEW/OLD firmware choice work for me.
The other one dont.
adrien1977
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is the original chk that worked for me and still does
I have the WNDR4500 V1

dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500.chk
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500.chk
 Filesize:  10.68 MB
 Downloaded:  643 Time(s)

ShamblerDK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 14:19    Post subject: WNDR4500v2 long uptime! Reply with quote
Ever since I put build 24200 of the Kong AC firmware on my WNDR4500v2 61 days ago, I haven't had a single issue with it plus I get full speed on both WiFi and Ethernet! I am a happy geek now Smile

Just look at the awesomeness:
https://imgur.com/NT8EZyW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone post the 24200 OLDD firmware?
I am using the NEWD and my wifi performance drops to shitty level after less than one day. Even after a 303030.

I'd like to try with the OLDD unless someone has a trick
thanks
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:

Anyway, I'm going to try one of the NEWD builds and see how it does. I remember trying the new driver builds earlier and had some issues with them, so hopefully this time around is better. I'll do a nvram erase and 30/30/30 reset to ensure I've got the new factory defaults loaded.

Crossing my fingers...

So 12.5 days later and the 4500 v1 is still working great with no reboots. I did have to change the power output on the 5ghz side as my signal went to hell again right after installing it. Seems that 71mw default setting has a different effect with the NEWD images, once I jumped to 140mw signal was right back where I would expect it to be.

Other than the 5ghz power I haven't done anything beyond setup security and SSIDs.

Here's hoping I can get to that awesome 61 day uptime posted above me!
adrien1977
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
HaTaX wrote:

Crossing my fingers...

So 12.5 days later and the 4500 v1 is still working great with no reboots. I did have to change the power output on the 5ghz side as my signal went to hell again right after installing it. Seems that 71mw default setting has a different effect with the NEWD images, once I jumped to 140mw signal was right back where I would expect it to be.

Other than the 5ghz power I haven't done anything beyond setup security and SSIDs.

Here's hoping I can get to that awesome 61 day uptime posted above me!

Which version did you install??
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
adrien1977 wrote:

25015M (NEWD)

From my router status page:
' DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/16/14) kongac - build 25015M '

Almost 18 days of uptime now and still going strong, I think I've found the build I'll be sticking with for the foreseeable future.
adrien1977
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
adrien1977 wrote:

25015M (NEWD)

From my router status page:
' DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/16/14) kongac - build 25015M '

Almost 18 days of uptime now and still going strong, I think I've found the build I'll be sticking with for the foreseeable future.

Would you be able to post the firmware somewhere for me to pick it up?
You dont have any drops in wifi performance?

thanks
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
adrien1977 wrote:

thanks

Kong is back and has re-hosted his build files:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/

Here's a link to the exact firmware I downloaded from the above site:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/25015/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin

Performance seems to be good, I haven't noticed any drops as of yet. I'm not one to sit and transfer 10GB over it daily though either.
adrien1977
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
adrien1977 wrote:

thanks

Kong is back and has re-hosted his build files:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/

Here's a link to the exact firmware I downloaded from the above site:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/25015/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin

Performance seems to be good, I haven't noticed any drops as of yet. I'm not one to sit and transfer 10GB over it daily though either.

Cool

Thanks a lot man!!!!
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem, I'm just glad he came back!

Also just adding to the log of events; 21.25 days of uptime now, also have a client on the 5ghz side that shows connected for 15 days, and 8 days highest on the 2.4ghz side.

Pretty happy with that, and also all my devices have been snappy and responsive on wireless here. I'm a bit biased towards lower latency then max throughput, and currently the performance is good enough that I'm not looking to tweak things.
adrien1977
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
So there is no way for me to install either 25015 or 25015-sp1.
I brick my router every time.
Not sure if anyone can help or even if Kong is willing to point towards the right direction but once i was able to roll back to a version that works, and i try to update the firmware, this is what i see during the installation using tftpd:
Code:

write block [1441792] at [0x00160000]
write block [nand_erase_nand: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x000003001572864] at [0x00180000]
erase/write failed skip block
write block [1572864] at [0x001A000]

I assume that this is the reason.
But if it was really the case, why can i install other firmwares?

same thing 24200

One last thing
When i update a good firmware i see this from the tfptd side and it reboots automatically

Code:

Reading :: Done. 12116026 bytes read
Programming...done. 12116026 bytes written
Write len/chksum offset @ 0x00EFFFF8...done.
Decompressing...done

When its not working it never reboots. That's when i know the firmware i pushed will not work

Code:

Reading :: Done. xxxxxxx bytes read

I hope this helps
I am gonna roll back now to stock firmware.

thanks
jbernardo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adrien1977, I am wondering if by any chance you also have a beta router, with double the flash, like I have. That wreaked havoc with the boot process.

Can you tell me which images worked on yours? I'd like to see if these would work on mine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 66 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: