WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 21:21    Post subject: Re: Help with V2 Reply with quote
objecttothis wrote:
I know perfectly well how the concept of QoS works.

If so, why you not defined characteristics of your WAN connection in your setup?
objecttothis wrote:

Why should the admin have to put a cap on it in all they are doing is per user throttling?

I didn't tell admin must put a cap on WAN speed, he must simply define which connection he have for QoS to work. Not ISP bandwidth value, but _phisical_ link value. And it will perfectly work with dynamic ISP bandwidth also.
It's required in any QoS implementation, not especially DD-WRT one.
Sponsor
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 21:59    Post subject: Re: Help with V2 Reply with quote
tsynik wrote:
objecttothis wrote:
I know perfectly well how the concept of QoS works.

If so, why you not defined characteristics of your WAN connection in your setup?
objecttothis wrote:

Why should the admin have to put a cap on it in all they are doing is per user throttling?

I didn't tell admin must put a cap on WAN speed, he must simply define which connection he have for QoS to work. Not ISP bandwidth value, but _phisical_ link value. And it will perfectly work with dynamic ISP bandwidth also.
It's required in any QoS implementation, not especially DD-WRT one.

The WAN characteristics were not defined because I'm not interested in throttling the overall bandwidth and, yes, it does effectively cap WAN speed. Try putting 1024Kbps up/down on the WAN connection and you'll see exactly what I mean. The only way that your proposal will work with dynamic ISP bandwidth is if I put a number in there above any anticipated bandwidth.

I disagree that this is required for a QoS implementation. The total available bandwidth can be auto detected (Gargoyle and Netgear do this). There are no QoS standards that say "you must have a user defined Upload/Download bandwidth in order to successfully cap an IP address at a certain bandwidth." If this is the way that DD-WRT developers decided to implement this, that's one thing but I call BS that every QoS implementation requires this.
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 23:40    Post subject: Re: Help with V2 Reply with quote
objecttothis wrote:

The WAN characteristics were not defined because I'm not interested in throttling the overall bandwidth and, yes, it does effectively cap WAN speed.

But they must be defined according to phisical interface, to which shapers will be attached. If you define there full link speed (100MBit for example, or 1GBit), there will be no limits or throttling entirely. In help on right:
Uplink:
Set this to 80%-95% (max) of your total upload limit.
Downlink:
Set this to 80%-100% (max) of your total download limit.
objecttothis wrote:

I disagree that this is required for a QoS implementation. The total available bandwidth can be auto detected (Gargoyle and Netgear do this). There are no QoS standards that say "you must have a user defined Upload/Download bandwidth in order to successfully cap an IP address at a certain bandwidth." If this is the way that DD-WRT developers decided to implement this, that's one thing but I call BS that every QoS implementation requires this.

You can be agree or disagree, but, as I said, you yet doesn't understand, how QoS works (on unix side).
objecttothis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 0:21    Post subject: Re: Help with V2 Reply with quote
tsynik wrote:
objecttothis wrote:

The WAN characteristics were not defined because I'm not interested in throttling the overall bandwidth and, yes, it does effectively cap WAN speed.

But they must be defined according to phisical interface, to which shapers will be attached. If you define there full link speed, there will be no limits or throttling entirely. In help on right:
Uplink:
Set this to 80%-95% (max) of your total upload limit.
Downlink:
Set this to 80%-100% (max) of your total download limit.
objecttothis wrote:

You can be agree or disagree, but, as I said, you yet doesn't understand, how QoS works (on unix side).

I think this might help: I don't think we disagree that maximum's need to be set. What we are disagreeing on is whether the QoS implementation must require the administrator to set a static maximum. Some administrators will definitely want that, but it's just as possible to implement QoS to poll the current bandwidth and use that to attach the traffic shapers to. Set the polling latency to long enough and it won't be any performance hit at all.
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:28    Post subject: Re: Help with V2 Reply with quote
objecttothis wrote:

I think this might help: I don't think we disagree that maximum's need to be set. What we are disagreeing on is whether the QoS implementation must require the administrator to set a static maximum. Some administrators will definitely want that, but it's just as possible to implement QoS to poll the current bandwidth and use that to attach the traffic shapers to. Set the polling latency to long enough and it won't be any performance hit at all.

I think this might help Wink

http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/userg.htm

http://linux-ip.net/articles/hfsc.en/

all common queue disciplines require values (rates) for root classes to be set for QoS to work on it Wink
yalas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Thanks but I'm just going to pitch them. Seems impossible.

This is not a problem.
The capacitor C256 placed parallely with reset button.
To replace capacitor remove it and solder new capacitor to reset button.

Look to my picture

dbounce1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.5 KB
 Viewed:  11562 Time(s)

dbounce1.gif

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks but I don't understand those diagrams. My brother in law I a an electrical engineer, he could help but that thing is microscopic.
What about the resistor listed also.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Thanks but I don't understand those diagrams. My brother in law I a an electrical engineer, he could help but that thing is microscopic.
What about the resistor listed also.

First of all, To fix the router need to find out the value of a resistor and capacitor. Who has a working router, please measure the resistance of R260 and capacitance of the C256 - it can help us to fix routers with "Waiting reset button release".

There is a possibility that the capacitor and resistor is good, but CPU is partially damaged.

resistor limits the current that charges the capacitor.
Hard to replace it, but possible.

The scheme works as follows:
1) When Power ON resistor limits the current that charges the capacitor.
2) The capacitor is charged to 3.3 volts and this voltage is applied to the chip.
3) If the capacitor is charged chip thinks that everything is fine, that the reset button is not pressed, and continues to boot on.

sorry for my English
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
My problem is that these things are about this size "---"
That's on my iPad screen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Curious what the latest version of ddwrt that works on the 4500v1. Currently running 25090. Thanks for any advice!
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
mystykmax wrote:
Curious what the latest version of ddwrt that works on the 4500v1. Currently running 25090. Thanks for any advice!

r25697 currently:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/12-22-2014-r25697/netgear-wndr4500/
dasPaul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

Just a little status report on 25697. Flashed dd-wrt.v24-25697_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNDR4500.bin after a softbrick. I took "dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500.chk" for the initial flash over tftp and then flashed 25697 over the web interface.
5GHz Enabling/disabling sometimes work sometimes not. The blue 5Ghz LED stays on no matter what I set.

[EDIT]
Doing Administration-->Reboot may cause resetting/loosing WLAN config. After reboot default SSID "dd-wrt" appeard again (unsecured!).
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
dasPaul wrote:

Doing Administration-->Reboot may cause resetting/loosing WLAN config. After reboot default SSID "dd-wrt" appeard again (unsecured!).

Never happened on my WNDR4500v2. And yes, you need apply settings and reboot router. How much nvram space used on yourth?

LED is always light after init, no matter, which mode set (with Disabled also). But pushing Wi-Fi off button will turn both leds off.
dasPaul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
tsynik wrote:
dasPaul wrote:

Never happened on my WNDR4500v2. And yes, you need apply settings and reboot router. How much nvram space used on yourth?

LED is always light after init, no matter, which mode set (with Disabled also). But pushing Wi-Fi off button will turn both leds off.

Need to mention I have 4500v1
Ok, I just thought, because default behavior of the netgear firmware was to disable the blue 5GHz led if it was disabled.

If I remember correct on my old wrt54gl it was sufficient to save & apply settings. There was no need to reboot after modifing wlan settings.

I did reflash the 25697 version and test more now. Settings seems to survive reboot now.

Space Usage
NVRAM
30.20 KB / 256 KB
deviouswun
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:46    Post subject: Install guidance. Please. Reply with quote
Smile Hello All.
I’ve just acquired a new WNDR4500v1 and I’m contemplating installing dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin.
I have been going over the posts here for about two weeks now and I’ve created a guide to assist me
with the installation. I would be very appreciative it if someone,.. anyone, could give my guide a quick
Look over and tell me if I should add or subtract a step or two.
Thank you for your assistance.

1) Reboot the router and wait at least two minutes for the router to complete its reboot
2) Login to the router and click on the [ADVANCED] tab, then [Administration] > [Backup-Settings] > [Erase] > [Yes].
3) After reboot; Do a 30/30/30 reset. (WAIT FOR ROUTER LIGHTS TO RETURN TO NORMAL (about 2 Minutes))
4) Login default ip-address 192.168.1.1 in browser
5) Click on the [ADVANCED] tab, then [Administration] > [Backup-Settings] > [ Router Update]
Browse to the “initial.chk” file you downloaded[dd-wrt.v24-K3 WNDR4500.chk]
click on [Upload] wait 5 mins.
6)In the browser address bar, enter dd-wrt default ip-address [192.168.1.1]. Enter Default Login info
8)Do another 30/30/30 reset. Confused[Note: this step might be optional]

UPGRADE STEPS
9) In the browser address bar, enter dd-wrt default ip-address [192.168.1.1]. Default Login info
10) DELETED by deviouswun upon clarification from ere109.

11) Log into the router using dd-wrt default ip and login info. Go to [Administration tab] > [Firmware Upgrade].
Browse to the location where you saved the [dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin] file and hit [Upgrade]
12) Confused(Optional) Close the browser and do another 30>30>30 reset.
** Wait at least 5 minutes before logging back into the router **.

“Incredibly handsome and master of all villainy!”
“Ow! My giant blue head!”

Last edited by deviouswun on Fri Jan 02, 2015 23:12; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 71 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: