Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

But changing the tx-power setting does work;

Code:
root@plato:~# iwconfig ath0
ath0      IEEE 802.11abgn  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Tx-Power=15 dBm

Not so used to working with iwconfig/iw in cli, perhaps I should use output from iw instead to get accurate readings? If so, and you want more input on this, just tell me the command.

Also if it is of any usage: lspci -n -vv

DNMA-92 Wistron Neweb Atheros 802.11a/b/g/n

Code:

00:0c.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR922X Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

00:0c.0 Class 0280: 168c:0029 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 168c:2096
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        Status: Cap+ 66Mhz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 168, cache line size 08
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
        Region 0: Memory at e00c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=100mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)
Sponsor
alfal
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 20:29    Post subject: build r17990 Reply with quote
I think there is something wrong with the latest build and full.vga.image is only 21.53mb
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:28    Post subject: Re: build r17990 Reply with quote
alfal wrote:
I think there is something wrong with the latest build and full.vga.image is only 21.53mb

The webupgrade put my alix in some sort of bootloop, so that was a dead end.

Flashed the normal serial-version via PXE and now it's up and running again with 17990, although some settings got messed up, even though I choose factory reset when I tried the webupgrade in the first place.

Each upgrade I seem to get weird settings hanging around, this time for example I made a factory reset but the data transfer logs still stayed, the WAN/LAN interfaces got swapped, etc.. Maybe some dev can tell me how to truly wipe the nvram on alix/x86?

edit: If you check the svn they changed the compression method, thats why the images are smaller. Something tells me this is also why webupgrade didn't work.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Code:
mtd erase nvram

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 17201 build is the last working build for me. 17967 build I had problem with wifi power when doing the web upgrade,with flash upgrade I lost the wan port and same bug with wifi power..
And with 17990 flash upgrade I lost everything no wan and lan and no wifi.I cud`t get in to the web-interface to put it up..

To Sash:I did a dban wipe on the CF before doing flash upgrade both times..
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
Code:
mtd erase nvram

Code:

root@plato:~# mtd erase nvram
Unlocking nvram ...
Could not open mtd device: nvram

alfal wrote:

The 17201 build is the last working build for me. 17967 build I had problem with wifi power when doing the web upgrade,with flash upgrade I lost the wan port and same bug with wifi power..
And with 17990 flash upgrade I lost everything no wan and lan and no wifi.I cud`t get in to the web-interface to put it up..

WiFi power is always 0dBm in anything I've seen above build 17201 in the web gui, but in cli it shows normal and works normal atleast for me.

17990 did indeed mess things up royally when it comes to settings.. some old settings for vpn and dhcp was even restored, although I had removed them long ago.. (?)

17201 shows correct tx-power in web gui, but the wifi performance is worse, again atleast for me.

edit: Funny thing I just noticed in 17990, this:

Code:

ath0      IEEE 802.11abgn  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Tx-Power=19 dBm

Never touched the settings, it's set to 20dBm in webgui. Used to show 20dBm in cli always earlier..
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
The TX-power does actually fluctuate a fair bit, seen most numbers between 15 and 20 dBm now.

Code:

while :;do echo|awk '{"date"|getline;printf $4}';iwconfig ath0|grep dBm|awk '{print " --",$1,$7,$8}';sleep 1;done

if you want to log it..
add in the end: > /tmp/txpower.log

is this some powersaving going on? Bug? iwconfig and iw clearly states powersaving is off.

edit: On a different topic, how is nvram stored on x86? Obviously not on the flash drive, since I zeroed it with dd many times and the settings remains. During console bootup I can also see "recovering broken nvram" sometimes.

Found this:
Code:

root@plato:/usr/local/nvram# ls -l
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         65536 Dec 10 13:23 nvram.bin

Should I just try to delete that file? Or will ddwrt recreate it and store all data again before reboot?

Last edited by spock521 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:49; edited 1 time in total
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
After running some time now it has stabilized at 20 dBm in cli, atleast the last 10 minutes. Must be something in the driver..

Sometimes in the webgui wifi status I can see TX-power dBm for half a second showing 15, 19 or 20dBm, but it happens so fast it's barely noticable, and then it goes back to a steady 0 dBm in webgui..

Further more, in 17201 the "Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing)" was 600. If I recall correctly the status-wifi page showed the same thing (600, as in 600 meters). Now it shows "ACK Timing 6µs (900m)", even though the setting is still 600.

spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to be rude.. but maybe I should just start spamming the ticket system with these issues instead..
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
start writing correct tickets
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
spock521 wrote:
Not to be rude.. but maybe I should just start spamming the ticket system with these issues instead..

I dont see the problem with being rude, Sash is the rudest dude on any forum I have ever been on, so you will fit right in!

Remember now that this is the same guy that when I asked if the 9220 Chip/SR71-12 would work in the PC-Engine Alix I was told:

Sash wrote:
imho the card will work.

Then when I followed up that it did not I was told:

Sash wrote:
install the latest beta!
buy a more powerful psu

As to spamming well I dont know about that but I do think 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease'.

I can inform the list/forum that this release still works like crap on the SR71-12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
If he is just a volunteer developer I could understand him being annoyed by us, but dd-wrt being a company (I did pay for licenses), one would expect atleast some form of discussion or atleast hints/tips on what to look for or do. But all these "one-liner" replies just makes me annoyed and upset.

I mean I'm really trying to provide good information for being discussed with the devs. But it's like talking to a brick wall here on the forum.

I don't like flooding ticket systems with reports if I'm not a dev on the project in question, it just tends to make things harder for the devs anyway, sorting out invalid or just plain stupid tickets that are really more of a question then a bug report..

DD-wrt is (or was?) great software though, I just wish they would be more helpful (atleast to us paying customers...). I don't want to jump ship just yet though, even though there are alternatives, dd-wrt still has some edge.

Oh and I still would like to know how to make a true wipe of the nvram on my alix/x86, "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" aint doing it. "mtd erase nvram" says nvram device doesnt exist.
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/2298
alfal
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:23    Post subject: r18024 Reply with quote
Finally getting r18024 build working,on dd-wrt_full_vga.image I had to copy my nvram before the upgrade and copy it back after then it was working..
On dd-wrt_full_smp_vga.image I had to do the same but I also had to formatted the 3th partition to ext2,it was there but it was not formatted.
Ind now my Ubiquiti SR-71-12 is working and it seem to be stable,but if I am putting it to 20dbm then it is running hot,but now it is stable on 13dbm
And it was the same thing with my Dbii Networks F52N-PRO card first time I put it on 23dbm but overheating and disconnecting all the time.
So maybe 10dbm is a good starting value and increase 1dbm until it is getting unstable and then put it back to the last stable.

edit:I didn't have problem with heat it was the antenna-cables who made the card unstable.
Now I have RG316 cables and everything seem to be stable and no packet loss..

Last edited by alfal on Mon Feb 27, 2012 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what are you using the SR71-12 in right now?

I have had mine sitting on the shelf, since the paying/pro customers are not worth dealing with. But maybe thats just me being bitter as the developers cant bother with with the people that pay for the product.

Thats the reason I no longer donate, or buy the software, until they can get the software and hardware they sell supported, then they will do without my money.

Navigation

Jump to: