Flashing Linksys WRT54g V3.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mcloud
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 15:39    Post subject: Flashing Linksys WRT54g V3.0 Reply with quote
Hello Im new here, Ive been considering putting dd-wrt on my linksys now for some time.

My Router is : Linksys WRT54g V3.0

Ok I read the peacock thread a couple times which I must say I learned alot from it. and yes I did read it LOL.

there a few places that is a little confusing.

says something about a killer app or something do I need that? or do I just do the 30,30,30 then flash the build?

Ok this is the build its saying to flash in the wiki:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

this that the build I should use?
also which one after that should I upgrade to?
from my understanding I can use a std cause i have 4mb flash.

Also at the bottom of the wiki thread buddee says he uses 15230 mini-hotspot-kaid for his. is this the best one for the Linksys WRT54G v3.0?
If not which one is ?

Thankyou
GodBless
Sponsor
yngwie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
2mb or less = micro builds
4mb = mini
8mb = standard builds
more = mega...etc

I have 3 versions of WRT54g (v2 mini/ v4 mini /v6 micro)
V6 being the hardest to install ddwrt from scratch (requires 30-30-30 and more of a 2 step procedure to get to installing the micro build)

I would start with the Router database information
and use the instructions from there (read me file)...not the peacock thread...since that only explains current information (not so current IMHO) but still helpful...AND not specific install instructions for specific routers.

Im guessing you have the 4mb flash on your router...so you might need a NEWD generic.bin file in MINI size...
mcloud
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep your right about the first time flash need to use the mini,

My bad, I was talking about after I have the mini on there,after the mini a standard can be used.

For the mini I found:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24/Broadcom/Linksys/WRT54G_v3/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

For the Standard I found:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24/Broadcom/Linksys/WRT54G_v3/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

are these the builds that I need for the router?

heres the routers wiki page:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v3.0

it says to use this:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

I read that newer isn't always better so I'm not sure what to use.

Im sorry about all the text and for asking so many questions.
yngwie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
well it should be very easy NOW that you have the ddwrt firmware in there (old)...

You can just go to the administration tab then the sub option of "firmware/upgrade" choose the file..bla bla

as for the newest NEWD...I see that brainslayer has 2013 versions as of JULY (NEWD and NEWD2) ///although I cannot speak for success yet but will be trying it tonight time permitting> I am still trying to get WPA2 wifi to work and using WEP so far...will keep you updated...

HERE IS the URL (hope you dont brick it...stick to NEWD but Brainslayer doesnt format it that way...EKO did but the peacock thread did confirm they are NEWD firmware as per year)
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
mcloud
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm alot of choices, the ones that I found are from the stable section of the downloads.
But there from 2008.

the brainslayer ones are not, does that mean there not stable?

I really dont wanna brick my router, and im not a stranger to flashing custom firmware but every device is different. phone, tablet,router.

Im not using this router atm cause I have a asus rt-n66r thats hooked up but I was wanting to use it as an addon for upstairs and figured I would put dd-wrt on it.

Is the older builds that I found in the posts above the more stable ones?

Thanks
God Bless
yngwie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok...I got to use 1 of the JUL 2013 builds and it went well.

my only issue was WPA2 to work...turns out I have to mirror the Main router algorithm and password...weird but not a problem - All my routers are now working...but only 1 is running(hehe) as a router bridge --WRT54g v6 running a MICRO NEWD2 build (EKO 2010) and it seems to working fine

NOTE: WRT54G v6
-had to refresh 3x (stalling/no response)when I switching menus after the flash+ 30/30/30 when I was inputting the network settings
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read and follow the advice in the four broadcom forum announcements.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: