RV Router Setup - Best Hardware?

coogle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 19:46    Post subject: RV Router Setup - Best Hardware? Reply with quote
Hello,

I am looking to build a WiFi setup for my RV with some specific qualities and was looking for recommendations on hardware / configuration. Anyone have any thoughts? I am open to multiple options (including multiple routers) to accomplish this.

What I want to do:

- Need to provide a in-RV WiFi network / SSID that is always available providing a local LAN, regardless of if there is a WAN connection
- If the RV is parked somewhere I should be able to connect to an existing WiFi network as the WAN connection (i.e. if it's parked at home, connect the RV to the home WiFi). Ideally this would be configurable
- Needs to support a cellular modem / hot spot to provide WAN if a WiFi LAN isn't available

Details:

- Lots of sensors in the RV and devices that connect via WiFi LAN (local MQTT server, etc) that need to communicate no matter what
- Want an SSID dedicated to the RV and always available for these devices, even if there is no WAN connection
- WAN can come from one of two sources -- either a cellular hot spot, or another WiFi network
- WAN WiFi needs to be as compatible and easily configured / changed as possible -- drive from point A to point B and need to connect to a different WiFi Network

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to accomplish all of this would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure about the cellular part... that may be a bridge too far. But the rest is pretty standard stuff: Find the discussions in the wiki on connecting multiple routers and focus in on Client mode.

To deal with the popup login pages that hotels and I assume RV parks have these days, you'll need to login on one device, say a phone, without the router and then disconnect that device and connect the router with the latter set up to clone the MAC address of the phone. The host system sees that the "phone" is back and is happy and doesn't require a new login, which the router cannot handle. Be sure not to let the phone connect to the host system directly while the router is connected. The same MAC appearing on two connected devices causes terrible things to happen. The phone can connect to your router at this stage with no problems.

I use it in a travel router for hotel stays, using 2.4 GHz to connect to the host system and using 5 GHz for my local network. I find that this generally works fine in most smaller, independent, older hotels but not always in new hotels from major chains, especially more upscale ones. Apparently the latter have some way to detect my login subterfuge and are not amused.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: