Asus RT-N13U B1 Router/Repeater/AP switch active?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
jrmymllr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:52    Post subject: Asus RT-N13U B1 Router/Repeater/AP switch active? Reply with quote
I just got RT-N13U revB1 router and put PreSP2 DD-WRT on it. No problem there. The problem is trying to set it up like a client, so that I can have Ethernet ports provided by it, connected via wi-fi to my Internet router.

I followed the directions here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I can log into it through the Ethernet cable, but I can't even ping the Internet router. In other words, apparently the wi-fi link isn't being established. Is that switch that selects router/repeater/AP at the bottom of this router still active with DD-WRT, or is it ignored?

Also, and recommendations on what I can try to get this to work?
Sponsor
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know how or if the switch is functional with DD-WRT but I don't believe what you want to do will work with an RT-N13U B1. From what I've read the RT-N13U B1 does not seem to support the client bridge mode. It does however support the repeater bridge mode as described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

I'm running build 17201 on my RT-N13U B1 and set it up as a repeater bridge following those instructions. It has been working well for about 3 days now. The one trick is that both the main router and repeater must be set to the same wireless channel ("auto" did not work for me).
genaldar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:02    Post subject: Asus RT-N13U isn't working as a repeater bridge Reply with quote
I followed the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge but it won't obtain IP addresses for any devices that I connect to it. I can log into it's settings page at 192.168.1.2 while I'm physically connected to the primary router. But if I connect to it I have to manually set my ip address or else the computer isn't assigned one and can't connect to even it's settings page.
jrmymllr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi wrote:
I don't know how or if the switch is functional with DD-WRT but I don't believe what you want to do will work with an RT-N13U B1. From what I've read the RT-N13U B1 does not seem to support the client bridge mode. It does however support the repeater bridge mode as described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

I'm running build 17201 on my RT-N13U B1 and set it up as a repeater bridge following those instructions. It has been working well for about 3 days now. The one trick is that both the main router and repeater must be set to the same wireless channel ("auto" did not work for me).

Following the Broadcom instructions worked. I just wonder why Client mode doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be much info on this router with DD-WRT yet.
novachord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 19:59    Post subject: No internet for repeater bridge Reply with quote
I followed the instructions here every step of the way, and I can't get the repeater to work. I have two RT-N13UB1s running dd-wrt and the repeater will hand out IPs properly but the client's can't get internet. I reverted back to the Asus 2.0.2.0 firmware and repeater mode works, but with 50% packet loss and frequent disconnects (the main router has the latest stable dd-wrt release).

Any suggestions on how I can get this working would be greatly appreciated. :/
genaldar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I eventually gave up. I had even tried switching them, setting the one I had as a primary as the repeater and the other one as a primary (thinking maybe its a hardware issue), but no dice. Since the repeater/bridge was for my brother to replace his aging Linksys with DD-WRT I decided to just keep one as my gateway and set the other one up as his gateway to replace his existing cheap N router. I'm still hoping its just a bug with the newer RT-N13U B1s.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
What build were you using? I've got my RT-N13U B1 running build 17967 as a repeater bridge and its been up for a month without a hitch. I started with the version recommended in the router database and used that for initial flash with the Asus firmware restoration tool. Then I did a web flash to 17967, making sure to reset to default and do a 30/30. Then I followed the repeater bridge instructions - they worked perfectly except I think at one step the instructions said to apply but the apply option wasn't available in the GUI so I just saved and went to the next step (This might not be the exact problem I had, but it was something like that. I can't remember 100%)

The one catch I found with mine is that you must select a specific wireless channel and each router must be set to the same channel. Selecting "auto" as the channel didn't work for me.
genaldar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried a couple of different builds, including that one, I think. I also made sure to set a channel early on.
CTXSi wrote:
What build were you using? I've got my RT-N13U B1 running build 17967 as a repeater bridge and its been up for a month without a hitch. I started with the version recommended in the router database and used that for initial flash with the Asus firmware restoration tool. Then I did a web flash to 17967, making sure to reset to default and do a 30/30. Then I followed the repeater bridge instructions - they worked perfectly except I think at one step the instructions said to apply but the apply option wasn't available in the GUI so I just saved and went to the next step (This might not be the exact problem I had, but it was something like that. I can't remember 100%)

The one catch I found with mine is that you must select a specific wireless channel and each router must be set to the same channel. Selecting "auto" as the channel didn't work for me.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
@genaldar Just looking back at your original post now. Stupid question - but did you have DHCP enabled on the main router? If you follow the instructions at that link then the repeater bridge won't hand out IP addresses. In those instructions only the primary router assigns IPs.
genaldar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi wrote:
@genaldar Just looking back at your original post now. Stupid question - but did you have DHCP enabled on the main router? If you follow the instructions at that link then the repeater bridge won't hand out IP addresses. In those instructions only the primary router assigns IPs.

I've got it set to DHCP Server
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
genaldar wrote:
I've got it set to DHCP Server

I'm out of ideas. Glad it wasn't a total loss and that you were able to use the routers elsewhere.
okachobi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So that's it? I have the same issue. I just picked one of these up for $35 thinking it could be used as a print server. Its advertised with the stock firmware as being able to be used as a wireless print server, but it only supports windows. So naturally, I looked to DDWRT to save the day (since I run it on all of my other routers).

I can't get the RT-N13U to work as a client (non-bridge), or repeater bridge. It doesn't appear to want to communicate with a WRT54G. I used WPA2 Personal encryption and I'm certain both routers are setup identical, but it simply doesn't work. I suspect it has something to do with B, G, and N modes. The WRT54G only supports B and G. I've tried Mixed, Mixed-BG and just G on the client, but all of those appear to fail. I've tried 3 different versions of the firmware, and followed at least 3 different sets of instructions on setup from the forums and wiki pages.

Its odd that the router is shown as supported when such a basic feature of DD-WRT doesn't work consistently. It does work as a router, but repeater bridge- no- unless you get the magic combination of hardware.

I was hoping to find that someone had figured out what this lingering issue was, but it seems hopeless. I do not have another use for this router...it was purchased specifically as a print server and I already have 3 WRT54G's of various revs.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
okachobi wrote:
I can't get the RT-N13U to work as a client (non-bridge), or repeater bridge. It doesn't appear to want to communicate with a WRT54G. I used WPA2 Personal encryption and I'm certain both routers are setup identical, but it simply doesn't work. I suspect it has something to do with B, G, and N modes. The WRT54G only supports B and G. I've tried Mixed, Mixed-BG and just G on the client, but all of those appear to fail. I've tried 3 different versions of the firmware, and followed at least 3 different sets of instructions on setup from the forums and wiki pages.

It works as a repeater bridge, trust me. I've had my RT-N13U B1 working as a repeater bridge on every DD-WRT version going back to 17201. I'm currently running 19342 as a repeater bridge and NAS. 9 days uptime without a problem. Follow these instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
okachobi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was one of the pages I followed. What is your main router that its connecting to? Is it 802.11N, 802.11G? Are you using WAP2 Personal?

Did you have to modify the wireless key renewal timeout on the main router?

I never see the Asus router MAC address appear in the list of wireless clients on the main router.

I'm going to try 1 more time to do a fresh install of the latest build and follow the page again just in case I missed something...
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Main router = RT-N16 running TomatoUSB.
Speed = auto
Security = WPA2 Personal AES
Key renewal = default (3600 seconds)

Did you set a fixed wireless channel on both the main router and bridge? I had to before it would work. I'm using 11, but use whatever channel is clear in your location.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: