WDR-3600 5 Ghz Only "Authentication Problem"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
linuxhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 13:47    Post subject: WDR-3600 5 Ghz Only "Authentication Problem" Reply with quote
Ok, I'll try to explain this the best that I can. I have been using and loving the WDR-3600 with the newest DD-WRT build.

However, it has happened several times, but I've noticed that sometimes (not every time) I reboot the router either through the web portal or SSH, that upon trying to connect to it again all of our devices say "Authentication Error" and will not connect to the 5 Ghz band. We can connect to the standard 2.4 Ghz band. Same password, same security. Wide HT40, WPA2, auto channel. At times I think I was "optimizing settings" before it happened. However, I think mostly they were meaningless settings regarding time, SSH, etc. Nothing to do with the Wi-Fi security. When it has this issue, I've found that it is often easiest to restore defaults to get it "working again". So for the previous few days I have been using 5 Ghz, I'm just making sure not to reboot the router. I'd like to get SSH setup again but would first like some ideas of what it could be or what to look for when it happens again.

I hope I can get this straightened out because I just bought my parents two of these for their elongated house.
Sponsor
w1zz4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should post screenshots of those Wireless settings pages : Basic Settings (including Advances Settings) and Wireless Security.
linuxhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the settings I have currently and as far as I know are exactly what they were the multiple times it "broke" and I had to reset everything to factory settings.
w1zz4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I was you, I would try with a fixed channel, and not a DFS one (36 to 48 or 149 to 165). It may be just a problem with DFS and it appear at reboot because it is at this moment that your router change channel...
linuxhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I set it to some static channel that seems won't be used by anything else in the area. There is only one or two other routers in the area that touch 5 Ghz.

So far so good, but then again I've stopped messing with settings and stuff. Something I realized, it seems the "save" button and "apply" button may have something to do with it. At one point I hit the "save" button and lost the GUI completely. I could still SSH in and "reboot" but that is what it took to get the GUI back. "Apply" seems to do a bit better for me.

Also, when updates are released, a new build I should say, what is the typical procedure for someone using DD-WRT for a home router? Stick with what works, upgrade whenever possible, etc? I take it you should set everything to default when updating? That seems like that sucks, seeing as how it could take an hour or so to "fine tune" everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: