Does my router WRT54G bricked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gemos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 22:52    Post subject: Does my router WRT54G bricked? Reply with quote
Hi,
I have a Linksys wrt54g version 1.0 router. I upgraded to dd-wrt vpn beta version 24 (25/4/2007). All was OK. BUT my "devil alter-ego" forced me to upgrade to the latest beta version. So, I tried to upgrade to v24 beta VPN version of May (2/5/2007), from the web interface.
All seems to go good, BUT after that moment my router is almost dead. I said "almost dead" because it replays to pings (but the response time is over 300 ms). The diag led is blinking every second. I have tried almost everything I have read in fora, exactly as they say. I have done hardware reset (30 sec etc), I tried about 30 times TFTP, I opened it and I connected the 15-16 pins of the flash memory (while I powered up the router) etc. The results was always the same. My router responds to pings and nothing else.
Can you PLEASE HELP ME?
PS: I have Windows vista, but I dont think that the TFTP command of Vista has any changes from XP

Last edited by gemos on Fri May 04, 2007 18:41; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ryan_lott
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 23:29    Post subject: have you tried grounding it out Reply with quote
have you tried grounding it out?
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use linksys tftp utility in vista. ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe
gemos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your answers.

I have tried the linksys utility and I have tried to ground the pin 16 of flash.
The results are the same Sad. My linksys WRT54G responds to pings and nothing else. I am going to madness because if it was totaly dead I will acepted it finally, but it isnt. It responds to pings and it gives me the hope that it can been fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stop shorting flash chip pins and get a JTAG cable. If you haven't ruined the router already by shorting the pins, you can recover it via JTAG.
Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
DDWRTnubee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've done that a few times. Last time to a GL that apparently you dont need to flash mini first, but standard gave me upgrade are failed message, and the pingable but otherwise dead unit.

This has worked every time for me:

I used linux to tftp, windows didn't seem to do the trick.

Download oringional linksys file from linksys website.
Put your linksys.bin file (from linksys.com downloads) somewhere and rename to code.bin. Don't know if that's necessary, but my instructions said to do it and it worked.

Set your IP to Static, I put it at 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0

Open a terminal and ping your router.

cd to where you put your file. ls to see your file.

Now enter the following commands and hit enter each line:

tftp 192.168.1.1
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
trace
put code.bin ### but don't press enter ###

Now unplug your router's power. I waited a few seconds and then plugged it back in. Give it a second and hit enter.

A few times it didn't work and just kept trying to connect. Start again at the tftp command above. I think it was three times and it started to upload. Just go have a coffee. After a bit, the router rebooted and the power light went solid. All set.

I don't take credit for the fix, I just googled for hours and finally found this to work.
cms22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:07    Post subject: Re: have you tried grounding it out Reply with quote
ryan_lott wrote:
have you tried grounding it out?

Quote:

#9 WRONG:
"I've shorted the pins to get into failsafe, but I don't get any telnet response"

Somehow people have fallen for the myth that shorting the pins on the flash is some magic way to fix any error, or that shorting the pins will somehow force the router into failsafe mode. Wrong; this has absolutely nothing to do with failsafe -- If you want to get into failsafe press the reset button at bootup, instructions are on the troubleshooting page. Shorting the pins is an old trick that was once used to force the device to tftp -- on bootup CFE would do a CRC check of the firmware, shorting the pins of the flash caused an error and the CRC check would fail, causing CFE to wait for a new firmware. This trick was removed from the troubleshooting page after numerous people destroyed their flash chip by doing this incorrectly. It also turns out that you can send a new firmware via tftp even if the device doesn't have the boot_wait variable set -- it's just slightly harder.

this is from the OpenWRT pages, the link is here
ryan_lott
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 14:35    Post subject: ouch Reply with quote
Now I'm not going to try and discredit you or anything, because I know you can severely damage a router if you do it wrong - I have broken 1. Hence why this should be used as a last resort.

However, I have fixed, by using this method, at least 4 routers. Just don't count it out completely.
cms22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 15:39    Post subject: Re: ouch Reply with quote
ryan_lott wrote:
Now I'm not going to try and discredit you or anything, because I know you can severely damage a router if you do it wrong - I have broken 1. Hence why this should be used as a last resort.

However, I have fixed, by using this method, at least 4 routers. Just don't count it out completely.

if i had 5 routers to begin with, i wouldn't feel bad if i broke one Razz
but most people only *have* 1, maybe 2 routers

besides, is your side-hobby bricking routers?
how on earth did you manage to get 5 bricked? RazzRazz
ryan_lott
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 17:20    Post subject: um... Reply with quote
I work for a wireless internet company, and I'm just like the rest of you - I can't afford to buy all those routers. So I take the broken ones that were taken down off old installations and fix them. One I made worse, 4 I restored. Some had antennas struck by lightning and others had damage due to high heat, and some had just quit.

I call it "resourceful." At least this way, they're being "recycled" or "re-used" instead of thrown out.
gemos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried everything exept jtag...
My router is working now only as switch Sad Sad
Allways the same message from tftp --> "Transfer time out"
I forgot to say that the diag led is blicking every second (not the power)
I think that I must find another router Sad Sad
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
DId you try holding the reset for a min ? not 30 sec but a min. I have found on some that 30 seconds just doesnt get it, but a min will. hold it in while powering on and keep holding for 1 min.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
gemos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now I have done progress!!!!????
At 100th tftp, my router accept the code.bin from linksys (THANKS DDWRTnubee for your realy helpfull post)!!! BUT from then nothing is working!!!
It is replay to pings for about 3-5 sec at startup and then it lost its mind!!
I have tried many tftp from then all with success, but the same results...
I noticed that the tftp command was completed very (??) soon (about 11-15 seconds) at every try.
For 10th time I opened it and try to groud the pin 16. The results are the same. It is alive for 3-5 sec to pings.
At last, is my router BRICKED?? Sad
gemos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
At last my router went back to work!!!
I dont know how, but I follow DDWRTnubee's instructions again and again (thank you very much).
I think that the name "code.bin" is the name that the router wait to do tftp.
The linux ftp even I tried is not necessary (vista or xp works well) but is more informational.
Additionaly the linksys firmware is not a must have (you can try dd-wrt firmware, but rename it with code.bin)
After 3 days and about 25 hours, my router is OK.
If my router will go back to the "brick area", I cant try to fix it again. 25 hours are too much!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: