Can I use a WRT54G "in reverse"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MannishBoy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:45    Post subject: Can I use a WRT54G "in reverse"? Reply with quote
Hello everyone.

My setup is getting a little too complicated for my noobie brain, so perhaps you guys will be good enough to help me figure things out? Here's my setup, and what I want to achieve:

I've got a WRT54G router running DD-WRT (I'll call it "A" from now on). Router A has has the internet coming into it. I've then got a WAP54G also running DD-WRT which is connected to router A using WDS to extend the signal to another PC (the WAP54G is working very nicely in this respect, and I'll call it "B" from here). Everything works great - both PCs and a couple of laptops are all sharing the internet connection and a local network exactly as I want them to.

BUT, the second PC uses a crappy little Belkin USB wifi adaptor, which just isn't up to the task. Therefore, I decided to get a third WRT54G (let's call it "C") to connect to the second PC to replace the Belkin USB thing and connect the PC to the net and local network. Now here's where I'm struggling.

How do I setup up router C (the new one I want to use as a replacement for the Belkin thing) without naffing up the great setup I've already got? It's a version 7, so until I could check with you guys, I didn't want to chance upgrading its firmware to DD-WRT until I was sure it worked. Currently it's just running the OEM firmware.

If someone would be good enough to help me get this new router onto my existing setup so it can provide net and local network access to the second PC, and advise me if/which DD-WRT firmware is suitable, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! Smile
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't use dd-wrt on v7 router.
Maybe use it as WDS to replace WAP, then use WAP with dd-wrt in wet mode (client-bridge) to feed internet to your pc (as you say: in reverse mode)
MannishBoy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your quick reply.

Eko wrote:
You can't use dd-wrt on v7 router.

Damn. I was afraid of that. Is there likely to be a version of DD-WRT for V7s any time soon, does anyone know?

Eko wrote:
Maybe use it as WDS to replace WAP, then use WAP with dd-wrt in wet mode (client-bridge) to feed internet to your pc (as you say: in reverse mode)

So, I can still setup the V7 WRT54G (Router C as described above) in a WDS mode, even though it's not running DD-WRT firmware? If I can, are you saying I could swap it for the WAP54G (B, as described above), then use B to connect the PC to the internet and my network?

Apologies for my difficulties, but if you could expand on this a little, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks again.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
MannishBoy wrote:

Damn. I was afraid of that. Is there likely to be a version of DD-WRT for V7s any time soon, does anyone know?

Nope, I though the v7 didn't use a broadcom chipset, so it won't be supported.

Donater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: