Netgear WNDR3700v4 downstream traffic stalling completely

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 16:03    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3700v4 downstream traffic stalling completely Reply with quote
Hello fellow DD-WRT enthousiasts,

Recently I swapped my trusty linksys WRT320 to a netgear WNDR3700v4. The reason being the higher CPU speed as the WRT320 had become a bottleneck in my downstream speed (about 80 mbps out of 150 available). With stock netgear firmware I'm able to get 150 mbps without problems and stable. These are wired speeds by the way, I'm not using the wireless parts wanting just a low-powered small router with iptables etc. So far so good.

I have tried several flash images from Brainslayer 03-25-2013-r21061, 07-24-2013-r22118 and even 12-12-2013-r23082 build and run into the same problem every time: the download speed completely stalls. First it goes up to 150 mpbs or close to that for a few seconds and then it stalls, continues with much lower speed, stalls again etc etc. Most of the time the speed measurement times out.

Going back to stock firmware I get stable and high speeds again. Tried a DD-WRT flash again ... stall. Back to stock again ... fine.

I'm using the correct flash images for the v4 variant (wndr3700v4-factory.img when flashing from stock and wndr3700v4-webflash.bin otherwise) and follow the flash directions to the letter including the waits and the double 30/30/30 reset (for going to stock firmware I use thethe tftp method).

Anyone have similar experiences or ideas to try or explanations maybe? Anything that could help is appreciated.

Last edited by jrdejong on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:36; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just noticed that people are experiencing the same problem with TP-Link WDR3600 models as well: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=179126. This seems to mostly have the same hardware.
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been monitoring the cpu load by running top in a terminal. The CPU idle time doesn't go below 80%, so it doesn't appear to be a routine that gets stuck in a loop but rather a uninterruptible sleep / IO wait. I could try monitoring the interrupt counts, but I don't know what is a 'normal' rate during downstream traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: