The DD-WRT3700 Project

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
NatRay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:20    Post subject: The DD-WRT3700 Project Reply with quote
This document is a compilation of posts from the DD-WRT Community Forum, and my personal observations. Its purpose is to install DD-WRT on a Netgear WNDR3700 by a novice. It is not the definitive answer to all installation variables and possible configurations of DD-WRT on the WNDR3700. While it is written for the WNDR3700v1, it may be applicable for the v2 as well. I work in a Windows Seven environment, using IE9, it is all I know.

Moving from Netgear’s Factory Firmware in Five Easy Steps

Before you begin you will need to gather these resources:
1. A push pin, safety pin, needle, or a blunted toothpick.
2. A copy of the DD-WRT firmware you want to flash your router with. (Three files are associated with each build. For whatever reason, they have the same name in each build, making separate folders a must. The file with ‘NA’ embedded in its name is the North American version of the firmware you will flash using TFTP. The other file ending in ‘img’ is for the remaining 90 percent of the world. The file ending in ‘bin’ is used to flash via the web interface of DD-WRT). Download and store in separate folders on your computer these two builds:
Build 16785 – It will be the initial install via TFTP
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/04-09-11-r16785/netgear-wndr3700/

Build 18007 or 18024 (if you don’t mind the absence of Wi-Fi LED(s)). I like blinking LED(s), so my personal choice is Build 18007. – The final install via DD-WRT’s web interface
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-14-11-r18007/netgear-wndr3700/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/netgear-wndr3700/

Note: If you are flashing a router other than the WNDR3700 you need to visit the DD-WRT FTP site . . .
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/

3. Download and install SolarWinds Free TFTP Server: http://www.solarwinds.com/register/MoreSoftware.aspx?External=false&Program=52&c=70150000000CcH2

4. Create a New Folder - C:\TFTP-Root (This is the default upload folder for the SolarWinds TFTP Server (Place a copy of the firmware you want to flash the router with in this folder.))

Step 1: Enable the TFTP Client in Windows

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will need to enable the TFTP client. To do this, navigate to: "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Programs" -> "Programs and Features" -> "Turn Windows features on or off" (left side). From there, scroll down until you spot "TFTP Client". Check the box if it isn’t already and click "OK". Exit the control panel.

Step 2: Setting Your Static IP Address

It is important that you setup a static IP address on your computer. Navigate to: "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Network and Internet" -> "Network and Sharing Center" -> "Change adapter settings" (left side). Now right click on your local area connection and open up the properties window. Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click on properties. Enter the following information then click "OK".

IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: <leave blank>
Preferred DNS server: <leave blank>
Alternate DNS server: <leave blank>

Step 3: Placing the Router into Recovery Mode
Note: Recovery Mode does not erase the data stored in the router’s NVRAM where configuration info is stored. Recovery Mode enables you to use the Trivial File Transfer Protocol.

Start by turning off the router using the power button on the back of the device. Power down and disconnect all patch cords attached to the router. Now, using the small object of your choice (I prefer the blunted toothpick), press and hold the "Restore Factory Settings", also known as the Reset Button located on the bottom of the router (there is a red ring around it). While holding the reset button, turn the router back on. Continue to hold the reset button for approximately 45 seconds then release it.

** NOTE: Before you release the reset button, be sure the power LED light on the router is flashing green (not amber). If it isn't, continue to hold until it is flashing green.

Step 4: Flash the Firmware

Connect an Ethernet Patch Cord to one of the four Ethernet ports on the WNDR3700 and your computer. Power up the computer. Open a command prompt. Ping the router's default IP Address (192.168.1.1). If you successfully reset the router, you will get a positive response, if not, reset the router again.

Launch the SolarWinds TFTP Server. From the 'File' menu, select 'Configure', select 'Start' . . .

From the command prompt change the directory to the TFTP-Root folder. Now for the fun . . .
Copy and paste, or type, the following into the command window:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wndr3700-factory_NA.img

** NOTE: Be sure to use the appropriate name of the file you are trying to flash. (wndr3700-factory.img for the rest of the world)
Press the 'Enter' key . . .

Step 5: The Waiting Game

This would be the perfect time to go grab a drink or hit the washroom. You need to be patient. Do not turn off, restart, unplug cables or otherwise interact with your router. It may take a little while; this is normal! Watch the power LED light on the front of the router. It should remain orange throughout the process. Once it is complete, it will turn green, and Wi-Fi LED(s) will blink slowly. At this point you may proceed to point your browser to "192.168.1.1" and continue to setup your router.

Phase Two – Flashing Build 18007

Initially you will be presented with a dialogue box demanding that you enter a new username and password. Because I am familiar with Netgear routers, and have more than one, I choose ‘admin’ as the username and a challenging 14 character password. Next you will be asked to enter the information you just created to access the router’s configuration pages.

DO NOT MAKE ANY CONFIGURATION CHANGES

Close your browser . . . This next step may seem a bit strange, but this is where you must trust and execute. While appearing to be similar to placing the router in ‘Recovery Mode’, it isn’t. The next step will completely erase NVRAM. All, if any, configuration info will be completely erased. Be prepared to enter all data manually. If you have a ‘nvrambak.bin’ backup file from a prior install of DD-WRT, do not use it to configure the router after this procedure. The reason will be discussed later in this document.

Erasing NVRAM . . .

Do not turn the router off. With your computer connected, and on, using your trusty toothpick, hold down the reset button until the power LED starts blinking green.
Still holding the reset button, turn off the router, and wait fifteen seconds.
Holding down the reset button, turn the router back on, release only after the power LED blinks green.
Turn the router off, and wait five seconds before turning it back on. The router will boot normally.

Log back into the router and proceed to the ‘Administration’ tab. Select ‘Firmware Upgrade’. . . Browse to the folder Build 18007 is stored in. Select wndr3700-webflash.bin . . . Select ‘Upgrade’

After a tense couple of minutes your router will reboot with a fresh install of DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007.

Don’t forget to set your computer’s network interface back to that of a DHCP client . . .

Configuring the router . . .

Reconnect your modem . . . After a handshake with the router you should have Internet connectivity.

I accidentally discovered why previous attempts to upgrade from Build 16785 failed. Without knowing, I had broken DNS. Under the ‘Services’ tab is Services -> DHCP Server -> LAN Domain. I equated this field as an entry for the name of a Windows Workgroup. Shortly after entering my LAN’s workgroup name I lost Internet connectivity. There was no doubt; my problem was associated with the router’s configuration. I re-flashed from the router’s web interface choosing ‘After flashing, Reset to Default settings’. After rebooting, access to the Internet was restored.

To find out what triggered the loss of Internet connectivity, I proceeded to setup the router using a versioning scheme to save backup files. This is what I mean, like using a word processor; I would save settings to a backup file after configuring each page. These backup files were stored in separate folders describing what pages had been setup. The only setting that was excluded was ‘LAN Domain’. With ‘versioning’ I could revert back to the ‘Last Good’ without re-flashing. Unless you thoroughly understand, and have a need for this setting, leave it blank. This field is obviously non-functioning in Build 16758, but is in all later releases. This setting had been retained in NVRAM (The ‘why’ for erasing NVRAM). My router is up and running strong on Build 18007. This is the router Netgear’s WNDR3800 should have been, but with many more features.

Some tips . . .

You can choose to change the router’s address space to whatever you want. Don’t like the Class C, change it to Class A or B. But, if you do, you must ask yourself why. How many have more than 256 nodes on their home network?

Use static IP(s) for Access Points or Managed Switches. All other clients should be managed by DHCP. Create DHCP Leases for clients whose ports are forwarded to the router. Port Triggering is preferred. For those who have an interest, uTorrent’s triggered port is 1900.

Max dBm for the 2.4 GHz radio is 27 dBm . . . Max for the 5 GHz is 24 dBm

DD-WRT has a plethora of features I don’t require, or understand. But when, and if, needed they are there for use or abuse. Hope this helps someone . . .

Shout Out to all who contributed . . .
Merry Christmas

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (2) *AP via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3)
** Qosmio-X505 **
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007
Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .
‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Sponsor
scubaman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the time to summarize! Got a question about
Quote:
Use static IP(s) for Access Points or Managed Switches. All other clients should be managed by DHCP. Create DHCP Leases for clients whose ports are forwarded to the router. Port Triggering is preferred. For those who have an interest, uTorrent’s triggered port is 1900.
since I ran into some issues here twice now. First, what do you mean by "Create DHCP Leases for clients whose ports are forwarded to the router" as opposed to setting up reserved (static) ip. I was adding ip reservations and by aroun 15 or 16 the router stopped functioning. Reset to factory setting and started over - same thing. Finally I decided to just use 1 ip reservation and it seems OK (in general). upnp is not working properly, or has a problem with ServU at least. Windows Home Server also complains about upnp not working properly so that remote access may be compromised. And ftp access through the router to the 1 fixed ip address remaining only warks if I put it in DMZ.

Second question is about port triggering. Why is it preferred? Is there a choice there about what method to use? I thought this was driven by application requirement. And for the uTorrent you refer to, how oud that be set up explicitly? 1900-1900 to 1900-1900.

Rich Kleinhenz
www.beautifulhandmadepens.com
=============================
Jonny_doe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Nice post , many thanks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
scubaman wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to summarize! Got a question about
Quote:
since I ran into some issues here twice now. First, what do you mean by "Create DHCP Leases for clients whose ports are forwarded to the router" as opposed to setting up reserved (static) ip. I was adding ip reservations and by aroun 15 or 16 the router stopped functioning. Reset to factory setting and started over - same thing. Finally I decided to just use 1 ip reservation and it seems OK (in general). upnp is not working properly, or has a problem with ServU at least. Windows Home Server also complains about upnp not working properly so that remote access may be compromised. And ftp access through the router to the 1 fixed ip address remaining only warks if I put it in DMZ.

Second question is about port triggering. Why is it preferred? Is there a choice there about what method to use? I thought this was driven by application requirement. And for the uTorrent you refer to, how oud that be set up explicitly? 1900-1900 to 1900-1900.

Use static IP(s) for Access Points or Managed Switches. All other clients should be managed by DHCP . . .

Understanding the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol requires a little research, but in a nutshell it provides automatic IP management. A DHCP Pool is nothing more than a dedicated range of addresses that are set aside for automatic management. This pool can start and end with any address within the network address space, with one notable exception. The DHCP Server cannot be included within the pool. By default, DD-WRT r18007’s DHCP Pool begins at 192.168.1.100 with a max of 50 DHCP clients. Therefore the defined DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 – 192.168.1.150. Addresses excluded from this range can be used as static addresses (addresses never change), and must be managed manually. Managed devices should always be configured with a static address. How else would you know where they live on your network without consulting the DHCP Server?

Create DHCP Leases for clients whose ports are forwarded to the router . . .

Port Forwarding requires an IP address of the client whose port is available through the firewall. If the client is included in the DHCP Pool, its address must be ‘Reserved’. Reserving an address excludes it from the pool of addresses that will be given out by the DHCP Server when a client makes a request for a new address. For all practicable purposes, it makes the address static.

Port Triggering is preferred . . .

Port Forwarding punches a hole through the firewall that remains open regardless of its usage. Port Triggering opens and closes the port dynamically. It also offers the benefit of multiple clients using the same application via the ‘Triggered’ port. As an example, I have installed uTorrent on several clients, via Port Triggering it is not necessary, or desirable to forward individual ports for each client. They aren’t able to use Port Triggering simultaneously, but uTorrent is available on each machine without the hassle of individual configurations. Because ports are opened and closed dynamically the security risk is lessened.

Application – uTorrent
Triggered Port Range:
Start – 1900
End – 1900
Forwarded Port Range:
Protocol – Both
Start – Random Port configured in uTorrent under ‘Connection’, e.g. 23412
End – Same port as above
Enable – Checked

Additional reading . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_triggering

I can’t comment on ServU. I use FileZilla and don’t have a problem. Universal Plug n’ Play is a mixed bag and depends on the application, can’t comment on it either. I use Windows Seven Ultimate, it may, or may not be prudent to upgrade . . .

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (2) *AP via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3)
** Qosmio-X505 **
scubaman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for the clarifications. I understand dhcp reasonably well, I thought, but... I don't like installing static ip addresses on each computer, instead I like doing a dhcp reservation which to me means a certain address will not be assigned to anyone but the specific associated mac address, and will always be assigned to that machine which remains set up for dhcp. I think managing static addresses that way is easier because the reservations are central and not on each PC. It also means a laptop e.g. that's static on my network can go elsewhere and since it's set for dhcp does not have to be manually reconfigured. Is that correct? And are there limits to the number of dhcp reservations dd-wrt can hold? I ran into a problem where I had to reset the router and start over, I wonder now if there was a conflict with a network printer and I tried to reserve it's assigned address to another device. I think the printer is set for static address. Perhaps dd-wrt is not very tolerant in dealing with conflicts and just locks up.

Understand the triggered port setting and the restrictions, that's what I figured. Thanks

Rich Kleinhenz
www.beautifulhandmadepens.com
=============================
NatRay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
scubaman wrote:
I don't like installing static ip addresses on each computer, instead I like doing a dhcp reservation which to me means a certain address will not be assigned to anyone but the specific associated mac address, and will always be assigned to that machine which remains set up for dhcp. I think managing static addresses that way is easier because the reservations are central and not on each PC. It also means a laptop e.g. that's static on my network can go elsewhere and since it's set for dhcp does not have to be manually reconfigured. Is that correct?

Absolutely . . .

scubaman wrote:
And are there limits to the number of dhcp reservations dd-wrt can hold?

Not to my knowledge . . .

scubaman wrote:
I ran into a problem where I had to reset the router and start over, I wonder now if there was a conflict with a network printer and I tried to reserve it's assigned address to another device. I think the printer is set for static address. Perhaps dd-wrt is not very tolerant in dealing with conflicts and just locks up.

Does your current configuration consist of more than one 'Reservation'? If so, your question is partially answered. I haven't created any reservations. Components of my 'Backbone' infrastructure are managed with statically assigned IP addresses.

scubaman wrote:
Understand the triggered port setting and the restrictions, that's what I figured. Thanks

Two thumbs up for Port Triggering Wink

** Qosmio-X505 **
glundby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Partial success Reply with quote
Followed carefully description and finally succeded in tftp loading build r16785. But when I went on with the web based upgrade to 18007 I ended up with a blinking green powerled and active LAN connection.

I could seemingly not repeat the tftp back to 16785. Did a 30/15/30 and after that same state. However I now succeded in tftp loadin build r16785.

I just stopped with that untill someone tell me a safe release/procedure for web upgrade. Confused
NatRay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your problem is the configuration information loaded in NVRAM . . .

Go back to The DD-WRT3700 Project and continue from: Erasing NVRAM . . .

** Qosmio-X505 **
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
can't i just erase nvram by 30/30/30 reset then use the webflash.bin for 18024 and flash from 17201 or you have to be on 16xxx?

I have 3700v2 with build 17201 std
NatRay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jebise101

Yes . . . Be sure to select ‘After flashing, Reset to Default settings’

** Qosmio-X505 **
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
just did some reading it seems no wifi tab for 3700v2 owners, so I guess 17201 is the most stable for now.
NatRay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jebise101

Bummer Sad

I want another v1 as a backup, but it seems the only thing being sold is the v2. The 3800 is the v2 enhanced, with non-blinking LED(s), as is the 4500. Guess I'll have to wait until Netgear gets its act together before I purchase another Netgear router.

Anybody check out the ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router Question Users on SmallNetBuilder don't seem to like it.

** Qosmio-X505 **
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well its been running for 2 days with 17201 and no complaints from others. The wifi signal strength is totally messed with 17201. But on my 2 WNDR3300 i see 38% and 45% and the 5Ghz Laptop has full bars so it seems wifi is good just the way 17201 reads it in the webui that is out of whack.

Overall I'm happy with it as long as USB works I won't have to go stock.
RichSun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the WNDR3700v3 supported? My Router Status shows the following:

Hardware Version WNDR3700v3
Firmware Version V1.0.0.18_1.0.14
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.18_2.1.13.1
NatRay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
To the best of my knowledge, the v3 is NOT supported by DD-WRT.
** Qosmio-X505 **
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: