Linksys WRT54G v5.1: VxWorks reversion via OpenWRT image

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Scarpage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:18    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G v5.1: VxWorks reversion via OpenWRT image Reply with quote
Hi,

I recently flashed Eko's micro-plus-usb svn15230 firmware (and have tried others, such as micro svn14896, as well) onto a WRT54G (2 MB flash, 8 MB RAM).

I was dismayed to discover (too late) that the 8 MB RAM meant that I was relegated to effectively a regression in enabled features in comparison with the original VxWorks based Linksys firmware. (In particular, I would prefer to enable UPnP as the end user isn't me, and the users are elderly and non-technical and wouldn't be able to use port forwarding for their apps.)

However, the links on the router-specific wiki page point to a writeup on bitsum.com which requires the use of a custom OpenWRT firmware to flash the Linksys firmware; said custom OpenWRT firmware is now a dead link. Likewise, scorpiontek.org is dead, and of course archive.org does not archive, er, archives.

Does anyone still have this vxworks_reversion_with_mac_restore_v05.zip archive still?

Also, how do I flash it? I don't trust the router to have enough free RAM to be able to flash such a firmware successfully from within dd-wrt, so I figure a flash via TFTP into the bootloader might be safest, but what's the procedure to use to flash the OpenWRT-based VxWorks flasher via TFTP?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Scarpage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never mind, it looks like I can only revert using a JTAG owing to having a compressed CFE (to make room for micro-plus-ssh -- when I first read this I was under the impression only reverting to the original CFE would be affected; turns out that I also compromised loading the original firmware). So I can probably only use dd-wrt micro and friends on this router now.

(I'm not about to purchase or make a JTAG cable and/or use a soldering iron on the thing. Modern routers are too cheap for me to bother with that. Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: